After Sunset Routine?

Can anyone help me set up the following routine(s)?

I have ‘I’m Back!’ routine which checks for the return of 2 presence sensors, and if so it sets the SMH to Disarm and the mode to ‘Home’. This works perfectly. I even have a SmartApp which if the mode is ‘Home’ turns on the lights 15 minutes before Sunset.

The problem I’m having though is what happens when I arrive home AFTER sunset. Basically I want it so that if me or my wife arrive after sunset, the SMH is set to Disarm, the mode is set to ‘Home’ and the lights turn on automatically.

Would this work…

You can create an extra mode, like “After Dark Away”. Then, set up two extra routines. The first would only fire if the mode was set to away. If so, it would change the mode from Away to that new mode at Sunset, and then, the second routine would be set up to fire when in the new mode and change the mode to Home, Disarm, and turn on the lights.

Does that sound like what you’re wanting? It’s a little extra work, but it’s the best way that I’ve found so far.

We have a set of routines that only run when we are at home (Good Morning, Good Day, Good Evening, Good night) which trigger corresponding modes (Home - Morning, Home - Day, Home - Evening, Home - Night). We also have a set of routines (Goodbye - Day, Goodbye - Night, I’m Home - Day, I’m Home - Night) and modes (Away - Day, Away - Night, Home - Day, Home - Night) that are intended to handle coming and going using the Routine Director SmartApp. It may seem like overkill with the routines and modes, and it is a bit complicated to get it all working together, but it works really well once configured. It allows for an amazing amount of flexibility and control of schedules.

Starting out, you could just create a simplified version and use the Routine Director SmartApp to control them.

1 Like

That sounds exactly the thing I’m looking for.

Not sure where to find the ‘Routine Director’ SmartApp though. Might not be available because I’m in the UK?

In my app it is under “Presence and Modes” in the SmartApp Marketplace. If you can’t find it there you could use the “hello-home-phrase-director” SmartApp located HERE that is the origin of the Routine Director app (Many thanks to @slagle ). If you are unsure how to implement this you can take a look HERE.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I’ve managed to find the ‘Hello-Home-Phrase-Director’, it obviously hasn’t been aimed towards the UK audience though because it only allows you to enter a zip code for the Sunrise / Sunset feature which obviously we don’t have!

routine director allows this :smile:

Excellent. Now where do I find Routine Director…

I’ve been through all the SmartApps available on the Android App and there isn’t one called Routine Director.

Under Presence and Modes in Marketplace on SmartApps tab…

It’s not there. Just to emphasise, I’m in the UK.

I’ve given up and had to contact support. They’ve given me the below solution:

1. Go to Routines > Tap the 3 dots in the top right corner
  2. Tap Add Routine > Add a new action e.g “I’m Back After Sunset”
  3. Select ‘Turn on these lights or switches’ and select the lights you want to turn on > Done
  4. Select ‘Set Smart Home Monitor to’ and select ‘Disarm’ > Done
  5. Tap ‘Change the mode to’ > Home > Done
  6. Scroll down to Additional Settings > 'Automatically perform “I’m Back After Sunset”
  7. Hit ‘Someone arrives’ > Select your Presence Sensors
  8. Select At sunrise or sunset > Sunset > Done
  9. Go onto the Additional settings’ > ‘Don’t automatically do this if I am in one of these modes’
  10. Select ‘Home’ (this prevents it from firing if you do get home before Sunset) > Done

I’ve been considering adding i’m back after sunset as well.

But wouldn’t you need to restrict your old “I’m back” routine to before sunset? Otherwise both “I’m back” and “I’m back after sunset” would still meet the requirements for automatically happening when you arrive after sunset. I’m not sure what would make one take precedence over the other.

I think the ‘Don’t automatically do this if I am in one of these modes’ is the key to all of this.

Maybe I just have my modes set up differently, but if I come home before sunset the mode was away. If I come home after sunset the mode was still away.

So restricting to not happen if mode was home would only apply if I came home before sunset but someone was already home.

You need to split your ‘away’. Add a new mode ‘away at night’, which switches automatically from ‘away’ to away at night. Same goes for ‘Good bye’

Just want to confirm that the above routine has worked for me…

Modes: Away, Home, Morning & Night
Routines: Good Morning, Good Night, I’m Away, I’m Home - Day, I’m Home - Night.

I’m Away

After 5 minutes of both presence sensors being away it switches off the lights, sets the SHM to Arm (Away) and changes the mode to Away

I’m Home - Day

When one of the prescence sensors arrives home, it sets the SHM to Disarm and changes the mode to Home

I’m Home - Night

When one of the prescence sensors arrives home after sunset it runs the I’m Home - Day routine first, then fires up the I’m Home - Night one which turns on the lights, sets the SHM to Disarm and changes the mode to Home.

It’s not ideal because it still runs the I’m Home - Day routine first, but it does work.

This is what I was getting at. I think if you edit your I’m back Day routine to end at sunset you won’t have this issue, right?

I’ve amended the routine this morning to accommodate just that and I’ll let you know how I get on.

1 Like

I’ve been advised to do something different by SmartThings support:

1. Open up ‘Home - Night’ > Additional settings > Automatically perform ‘Home - Night’ when…
  2. Additional settings > Don’t automatically do this if I am in one of these modes > Select ‘Away’ and ‘Home’ > Done
  3. Go back to Routines > ‘Good Night’ > Change the mode to > ‘Night’ > At sunrise or sunset
  4. Either sunrise or sunset > Tap to set > Sunset > Done

Feels like I’m chasing my tail here. The advice from support has actually made more harm than good. Coming home on an evening after sunset fires the “I’m Home - Day” routine and doesn’t turn on the lights.