Affordable humidity sensor?

(Dan) #1

I’m trying to do some more HA stuff on a budget. Can anyone tell me what the cheapest ST compatible indoor humidity sensor? I’m wanting to use a ST outlet that triggers a humidifier within a certain humidity range. Thanks!

@bamarayne Tell me about your Toilet!
(Ben W) #2

Not sure “cheapest” is the way I would describe this one, but it gets the job done. $50 and is a motion sensor, temp, light sensor. That is how i justified the cost.

https://amzn.com/B0151Z8ZQY

I use it in the basement to trigger lights on motion, and an outlet on a dehumidifier if moisture is too high. Did a test on just using the dehumidifier sensing moisture, and that thing ran all the time. Moving it to an external sensor to trigger cut the power usage by around 75%, and the dehumidifiers (even energy star ones) use a lot of juice.

If you have a Nest you can also use that as a moisture sensor. Think you can with Ecobee too, but I don’t have one.

edit: The sensor I mention does not come with batteries, but you can use a USB to run it. I believe batteries are a couple bucks.

It’s too bad these aren’t available any more. I have several, and I wish I had a couple more:

Another option if you’re going to want multiple sensors is the kumostat wireless tags. You have to buy their ethernet bridge, which is about $40. But the individual sensors, which are very well engineered, run as low as $29. And their multisensor, which includes motion detection, is $39.

So if you’re going to want more than 4, The Kumostat end up being less expensive than even the everspring zwave model. But the set up is more complicated.

Kumostat also has a nice IFTTT channel which gives you additional indirect integration options.

This works well for me with ST.

(Dan) #6

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I already have one of the Aeotec MS6 for outside, was hoping to go with something cheaper since I just need a humidity sensor. I’ll probably just wait. Hopefully those smartsense humidity sensors come back. Is there any word on them?

(Brian) #7

If you are the DIY type, this looks really inexpensive and could be fun: https://github.com/gonium/esp8266-dht22-sensor

(Mark) #8

I use the everspring z-wave temp/humidity sensor. Primarily for the temperature, which I find to be consistent but usually 1-2 degrees F less than a reference thermometer.

I think it’s tough for these small electronic devices to be as accurate with humidity. This one’s probably 5ish % off, but both over and under, a calibrated electronic hygrometer. Right now they’re $46 on amazon.

I have three, I bought two of them on ebay for $40, new, no different than the one I got from this same seller on amazon. Not sure if there are any other sensors around now that are much cheaper.