Aeotec Aeon Dry Contact Sensor

I am looking for a Device handler that works with this Device. It operates as Smart things installs it except it show Closed with a open circuit and open with a closed circuit. I am using 3 of them to integrate a old hard wired alarm system so I can tell it the alarm loop is closed, the alarm is Armed, and the Alarm is sounding.

Hi @Boatman,

This is a great opportunity to try and create your own if you have any coding experience. It’s as easy as flip-flopping the state attributes. If you don’t want to try, just tell me which device handler it’s using. I assume it’s using the “Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor” default handler?

Yes that is correct! “Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor” I tried to change it and did something wrong so removed them and reinstalled Them. Zero experience coding.

Ok, no problem. It’s a little late on the East Coast right now, but I can help tonight. Are you familiar with using the IDE and creating your own device handler?

No I have not done that.

@Boatman Ok, that’s not a problem either. Let’s start here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Using_Custom_Code

See the section titled “Using a custom device type”. When it references the Developer site, it means this (I’m assuming you know this, but just in case):

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/login/auth

The code you need is here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/constjs/jcdevhandlers/master/devicetypes/jscgs350/my-zwave-reversed-contact-sensor.src/my-zwave-reversed-contact-sensor.groovy

It’s basically 3 easy steps:

1. Log on to the IDE with your same account you use for the phone app.

2. Create New Device Handler under the My Device Handlers tab (save and publish for yourself). Create it “from code” and copy/paste all the code from the github link above.

3. Edit the device (found in My Devices) so that it uses the device handler you just created. It’s the field called “Type*” and change it to “My Z-Wave Reversed Contact Sensor”.

Since I don’t have one to test with, I wasn’t able to fully test this code out, but it should work for you. Please let me know if it doesn’t.

Note: There’s no need to exclude (delete/remove) the device and then re-include. Once it joins your ST network, all you need to do is manipulate the device handler.

2 Likes

John
Thank You Very Much I got totally lost finding the changes you made to made to the output. Was it in the “def configure()” ?

I did switch the colors of open and close for one of the three sensors because the good state is open for the alarm horn not sounding. Any way it works and I Thank You!
John Lee

Great to hear, and glad I could help. You’re most certainly welcome @Boatman!

Here’s the section where I made the changes:

def sensorValueEvent(value) {
	if (value) {
		createEvent(name: "contact", value: "closed", descriptionText: "$device.displayName is closed")
	} else {
		createEvent(name: "contact", value: "open", descriptionText: "$device.displayName is open")
	}
}

ST’s default code had “open” where “closed” is above. I just switched the two around.

John

Good I saw that and then was not sure! Long Day. Thank You For your Help! I love the system and it is getting better thanks to you and others like you.

John

Anytime John. Don’t hesitate to ask for help.

How do you pair the ZW097 with the SmartThings hub - I only see window/door sensors in the open/close device list ?

For anyone looking for the proper answer, while you can do the aforementioned code swap, these dry contact sensors also have a configuration option for this. Unfortunately it’s not implemented in the default ST device type handler. I just got one today, so I may go ahead and publish something that works when I get around to it. For now, I’ve just changed the code to invert the value on the sensor. While this “works”, anything else that directly pinged the dry contact sensor’s value would see it as being “open” instead of being “closed”.

I actually wrote a handler for these as I use 2 of them (for smoke and carbon with kidde wired smoke detectors). I have to tweak it and I will end up publishing it shortly.

Awesome. I’ll be on the lookout!

Hello,
Interested in your DH as I just purchased two of these Aeotec Aeon dry contact sensors from Amazon. Is it available?
Thanks!
Bob

Were you able to find a Device Handler? Looking for one too

I did do a device handler to use the on board configuration to swap from NC to NO, but I’m not able to get it to work reliably. I’m guessing it has to do with secure inclusion…

This thread should have the link for the reverse contact sensor

Hello did you publish it? I am thinking to buy one

best

Simone

Someone else published it in the same thread. Works fine