Aeon Multi Sensor isn't working as expected -- and other issues

This week I added a number of devices to my home, including:

Two First Alert Smoke/CO2 detectors – Think these are working correctly.

One open/close detector – Think this is working correctly.

Aeon Multi Sensor – Wanted to put in my galley kitchen so it will turn on the light if a) there’s motion detected in the kitchen, b) I’m home and c) it’s dark.

To set up the Aeon Multi Sensor, I went to + -> Things -> Motion Sensors -> Aeon Labs Multi Sensor -> Top Alerts & Actions -> Turn on lights when it’s dark and motion is detected. Despite all of that, its turning on the lights even when there’s sunshine streaming in the room. I’ve decreased the sensitivity and repeatedly deleted the “convenience” and reinstalled it. The settings are:
Which? Kitchen Light
Where? Aeon Multisensor in the Kitchen
Turn off after: 1 minute
Using either this light sensor or the local sunrise and sunset: Aeon Kitchen Multisensor
Sunrise Offset: HH:MM: (empty)
Before or after: (empty)
Sunset Offset: HH:MM: (empty)
Before or after: (empty)
Zip code: My zip
Assign a name: Kitchen Light
Set for specific modes: Home, Night

Any ideas why it keeps turning on even in bright daylight?

Three other (possibly) unrelated issue:

1. When I go to my things, my Kitchen Light is still there, but when I go to Lights & Switches, the Kitchen Light no longer appears. (FWIW, it appeared prior to last week’s new devices being added.)

2. I had a motion detector that I moved from the kitchen to a hallway. Now, when I go to things, both the Hallway Motion Detector and the (Kitchen) Aeon Multisensor are listed, but when I go to the Motion neither appears. (A third motion detector does appear.) I can understand if Multisensors appear in the Damages & Dangers section (two ST Multisensors appear there), but I don’t understand why the Kitchen turned Hallway Motion Detector doesn’t appear.

3. The Aeon Multisensor isn’t reporting light, temperature or humidity. My other ST Multisensors showed the temp data automatically. Is there something I need to do to get the Aeon to start reporting that data?

Thanks!

That combo is your problem.

You need to get the Aeon Multisensor properly reporting the light level if you want the SmartApp/Hello Home Action to use that data.

1 Like

Shoot. Good point. Any ideas how to troubleshoot that? Should the Aeon Multisensor automatically report all of those pieces of data, even if I’m not using them to trigger any actions/alerts?

I don’t have one myself, but from what I’ve read, it should.

Some people had some issues pairing the new Gen 5 versions, but it sounds like you’re past that point.

Apparently the Aeons only report once every four or five minutes, but again, you’ve been connected longer than that so you should have data visible.

Hopefully somebody who has the device working can weigh in here and help you out…

I bought this one, which appears to be the 4th gen version. I set it up 4-5 days ago, so it should be reporting by now.

Just FYI mine turns on the light unless it’s super bright. I looked at the SmartApp and a hard coded value of 2000 lumens is in there. I don’t know why it’s not a variable.

You’re not alone.

To make things even more interesting…it’s now dark & the Aeon has decided to stop turning the light on. And I don’t know if it has anything to do with anything, but if I go to Things -> Aeon -> Config, nothing happens. I can’t get into the config menu.

The “config” option is very misleading. Basically, you use it in conjunction with the “config” button (Some colored button inside the device,check detectors docs). For instance, suppose you have a device type you are using that reports LUX every 10 minutes. You modify the device type code and change it so the LUX is reported every 2 minutes. Much to your annoyance, the device continues to report LUX every 10 minute UNLESS…

1. You press the “config” button on the actual device. (Cant recall
    with any degree of certainty but the device LED may start to blink)
  2. Within the ST APP, you press the “config” icon under things/device…
  3. You once again press the “config” button on the actual device

Someone here revised the device type code that I ended up customizing for my own needs (i.e. RH calibration/offset,). It was called Aeon Multisensor-2 min but I cant for the likes of me find it.The 2 minutes means the device stay in “Motion detected” mode for 2 minutes after the last motion was detected. The most significant change from the original device type was the function below

def configure() {
delayBetween([
// send binary sensor report instead of basic set for motion
zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 5, size: 1, scaledConfigurationValue: 2).format(),

// send no-motion report 1 minute after motion stops
zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 3, size: 2, scaledConfigurationValue: 60).format(),

// send illuminance data periodically
zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 101, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 128).format(),

// send humidity & temperature data periodically
  zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 102, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 96).format(),  
    // send battery periodically
  zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 103, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 1).format(),
    // send illuminance data every 4 minutes
  zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 111, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 240).format(),
    // send humidity & temperature data every 2 minutes
  zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 112, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 120).format(),

// send battery every 1 hour
zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: 113, size: 4, scaledConfigurationValue: 3590).format()
])
}

Give this app a shot to do the automation instead :smile: (admittedly biased)

Variable lux value, more options, etc.