Aeon Labs Aeotec Multifunction Doorbell

Is there a way to see if it paired in secure mode? I have removed and re-added this thing a 100 times. I might have to get an extension cable to put it right on the hub or something.

Also I wanted to say thank you very much for your work on the DH!! I’m sure it works great if I could get this thing paired correctly.

[quote=“eveezy, post:42, topic:36586”]
I might have to get an extension cable to put it right on the hub or something.
[/quote]If SmartThings is finding the device, then getting it closer to the hub won’t make a difference.

If it’s not secure you should see a message in the IDE debug log stating that it needs to be secure.

I haven’t had a chance to troubleshoot this yet because I have to temporarily switch 30+ rules in Rule Machine to a virtual device to avoid having to re-create them all when I remove the device, but I should within a few hours.

In the meantime you may want to try this:

1. Unpair the device
  2. Completely delete this device handler
  3. Add the secure device, it should default to the Aeon Siren device type which we know works.
  4. Create the Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell with the code shown in the top post and publish it. (version 1.5)
  5. Then go into the the device settings from the IDE and change the Device Type to this DH.
  6. Then open the device in the mobile app, go into the settings screen from the menu button and save the changes.

I’m not sure if that will work, but it’s something to try while you’re waiting.

Still no go for me. Followed those instructions completely. I don’t see any errors in the log at all. I’m sure its something I’m doing. I’ll try it again later on.

I hope you’re not going through all that just to help me.

[quote=“eveezy, post:44, topic:36586”]
I’ll try it again later on.
[/quote]The first post in this topic has some screenshots. Are you seeing those screens, but the buttons aren’t doing anything?

Are you using the Android app?

Try changing it back to the Aeon Siren and check to see if those buttons work.

I hope you’re not going through all that just to help me.
[/quote]This is the first time I’ve ever published something on Github so I want it to work correctly so people don’t have to fight with it. I was about to do this yesterday because @KeithJW was having problems, but his started working so I thought we found the problem.

I appreciate that you both were willing to work with me to solve the problem rather than give up and use something else.

1 Like

Hi @eveezy. Can you show us a screenshot of the Device Settings screen? (The one that shows witch tracks are selected)

Still no go for me. Followed those instructions completely.
[/quote]Slight problem…

I updated all my apps and rules to use a virtual device using a fake DH, removed the doorbell, did a factory reset, paired it by pushing the action button once, and everything worked.

I removed the device again and connected it using the double button press method and everything worked fine that way too.

Can you do the following so I can see what’s happening on the actual device?

1. Open the live logging window in the IDE
  2. Go into the Edit screen of the mobile app and press done
  3. Watch the live logging window and wait for it to stop listing the settings.
  4. You should see a link for your device above where the events are displayed. Click that link so that only the events from the doorbell will be displayed.
  5. Copy the contents of the live logging window and post it.

I can change it back to the Aeon Siren and the buttons work.

My debug window shows this only this when I save in the app (android)

942925e2-cf9c-4a18-856c-8b905c35713c 9:37:37 PM: debug Configuration being sent to Aeon Siren
942925e2-cf9c-4a18-856c-8b905c35713c 9:36:59 PM: debug Configuration being sent to Aeon Siren

[quote=“eveezy, post:48, topic:36586”]
My debug window shows this only this when I save in the app
[/quote]I was wrong about how close the device needed to be from the hub. You may want to get an extension cord and try pairing it while it’s within a few inches of the hub.

The next time you remove the device, do a factory reset by holding down the action button until the button stops flashing which should take at least 20 seconds.

@krlaframboise THANK YOU! I will try this out tonight as soon as I can. Just to be safe I’ll start over by removing the device as you suggested and doing a factory reset on it. Hopefully I can get it to pair securely with an extension cable. I’ll put the darn thing right on top of the hub if I have to.

In any case thank you again for all your contribution and support. I will report back later with an update.

[quote=“eveezy, post:51, topic:36586”]
doing a factory reset
[/quote]In case anyone is wondering, doing a factory reset only affects the configuration so you don’t have to worry about losing the mp3s you’ve loaded or their assigned track numbers.

1 Like

@krlaframboise, let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help.

[quote=“KeithJW, post:20, topic:36586”]
I’ll have to play around with it
[/quote]At one point you mentioned the doorbell button in the mobile app not working, but the physical button and the other 3 buttons in the mobile app were fine.

Are you still having that problem?

As far as I can tell, yes. I’m not at home currently. The top of the app interface doesn’t change when tapping that button, as before. I also have an alert configured for when the doorbell goes off, but I get no such alert when triggering through the app. Lastly, I get nothing in the logs, though the Beep, Alarm, and Play tiles work fine.

But the physical doorbell button works just fine.

When you have a moment, can you send me a screenshot of your device settings and also a screenshot of the rule your using to trigger the alert?

Below are my settings and rule. It looks like I forgot to add a notification after getting it working again. So I did one up real quick, I think this is how my last one was. Still no notification or logs. I have a chime set up on doors using Rule Machine and Beep(), and that’s been working no problem at home.

One random other thing. Sometimes something weird happens during creation of a Rule Machine rule where it just craps out, and won’t let me go back into the rule or edit it. It’ll say “You are not authorized to perform the requested operation” when I tap it in the rule list… and so the rule just sits there and I can’t remove it without completely removing Rule Machine. I didn’t know if you had any insight on that. This is the error the broken Rule gives “java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command ‘getAt’ is not supported by device e23929a0-a95f-4898-905a-57366e53399b of type ‘Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell’. Supported commands: [on, off, off, strobe, siren, both, poll, configure, beep, refresh, play, pause, stop, nextTrack, playTrack, setLevel, playText, mute, previousTrack, unmute, setTrack, resumeTrack, restoreTrack, pushButton] @ line 521”

*This problem isn’t Aeon Doorbell specific. I’ll look through the Rule Machine topics when I get a chance later, just thought I’d ask you real quick in case I’m missing something obvious.

If you turn off the the Silent Button setting, the doorbell button in the mobile app should start working. That feature is designed to mute the doorbell functionality so you can use the button for some other purpose. The default value is off so it must have been turned on while we were trying to get it working.

The rule should look like:
Define Triggers: Doorbell button one pushed
Select Actions: Some action that doesn’t involve the doorbell, like sending a text message.

If you go into the Locations screen through the IDE and click the link at the bottom for SmartApps, it will take you to a page that lists all the apps. At the top of that page there’s an Edit button. If you click the edit button it will show an uninstall link next to each rule. That allows you to remove the rule without having to remove rule machine.

[quote=“KeithJW, post:57, topic:36586”]
This is the error the broken Rule gives “java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command ‘getAt’ is not supported by device e23929a0-a95f-4898-905a-57366e53399b of type ‘Aeon Labs Multifunction Doorbell’. Supported commands: [on, off, off, strobe, siren, both, poll, configure, beep, refresh, play, pause, stop, nextTrack, playTrack, setLevel, playText, mute, previousTrack, unmute, setTrack, resumeTrack, restoreTrack, pushButton] @ line 521”
[/quote]I originally thought the problem might have been caused by the DH not having all the commands that its capabilities have, but I just reviewed the Capability Reference and I wasn’t able to find any that support the command “getAt”. I don’t think it’s a problem with the device handler, but I’m still going to release a new version tonight that has all the commands it’s supposed to.

I occasionally run into the same error, but it’s usually only when I’m trying to remove or change conditions and I’m pretty sure it has to do with a bug in the android mobile app and not Rule Machine. Maybe @bravenel can shed some light on why it’s generating that error and also let me know if it has anything to do with the Device Handler.

Yes, I believe that’s correct.

I think I just treated it as a switch because that was pretty much all I could get to work with the older DH and never thought to update the rule, but the old one did work with the physical doorbell, so I didn’t care that the app button didn’t work. Okay, so Silent Actions turned off, and new rule added results in no change in functionality of the app button. Nor does logging show anything new when hitting the button. Not that I care, but device listings always show the doorbell either alarming, beeping, or playing… even when it’s not. Just for your information in case it helps with your troubleshooting. I can tap the tile displaying the action and it switches to off, but the next time it shows up in a list or is opened in the app, it shows as on again.

Agreed, especially since it happens with any device. I think sometimes it happens if the rule isn’t completely set up and the rule creator is exited in some way, and that’ll result in “An Unexpected Error Occurred.” Then I think the permission one happens when editing triggers and actions… if you select a new one without unselecting the old… or something like that.

Either way, thank you for the tip.

Try going back into the settings and turn on the force configuration. Close the device screen, wait about 15 seconds and then try it.

Can you send me a screenshot of your new rule?

FYI, turning the siren on will trigger the switch on event. The other device handler turned on when the doorbell rang, but this one doesn’t.