Aeotech Siren "muted" when alarm triggers

Hello everyone,

I’m new to Smartthings and this forum, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I set up an Aeotech Siren (Gen5) with Smartthings, which is found and shows its status as “off”. When my system is set to Armed- Away or Home the alarm goes off but a message displays that the siren was muted. I have tried to hit TEST on the siren but nothing happens. Likewise when I hit the “Off” button to turn it on, as I do with my light socket that works fine. Anyone had similar issues?

Also, I did set it up in the Alert section of security.

What device handler are you using?
I am using “Aeon Labs Multifunction Siren v 1.8.5” by Kevin.
It supports six varieties of beeps as well as the siren - which is just more beeps.
How long the siren runs is settable in the device handler.
A problem I have not resolved yet is that I have two smart apps driving the siren; Door Opened which gives
one beep and Alarm which uses the siren. Depending on which gets there first - I get either a beep or the siren.
May need a piston for this.

Well you might have already figured out my problem. I wasn’t aware you needed a handler. I have made 0 modifications to my Smartthings Hub out of the box, so I’m guessing the handler is missing. Yikes. I’ve been meaning to figure all of this out but finding the time has been difficult. I mean the Siren’s settings allow me to choose name, Siren Sound (1-5) and Volume, then duration elsewhere, but do I need to download something else? Sorry, brand new.

I was planning on getting the doorbell to chime when any contact sensor opens. Do you think that is a bad idea?

Get used to logging into Smart Things. Set up an account if you need it:
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices
There are community discussions on how to create a device handler. That is pretty much just copying
one the community has created.
Then read this article by Kevin:

If it does what you want, under your devices just change the device handler to his.
I stuck my siren in my bedroom. It chirps when any outside door opens. Serves my purpose.

1 Like

Welcome! :sunglasses: It can be a little daunting when you first start, but as @rmm200 mentioned, basically you’re going to find the author thread for the code you want to use, and then you’re going to copy and paste that code into your own account. Here’s the FAQ for the general process (this is a clickable link)

And you can find community-created smart apps and device type handlers by using the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki. Sirens will be on the security list.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

The link you were already given to a device type handler is probably the one you want to use for this particular device, but I’m just giving you the general link so you’ll be able to use that one going forward when you’re looking for other devices or smartapps.

1 Like