ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

Well that’s an incredibly revealing document; Very surprised it is on a non-protected site and it has no confidentiality or copyright notices. Rather … “generous” of them.

2 Likes

Just a note:

Will the customer get a certificate of monitoring for their insurance?
Given the month to month nature of this product, there is no certificate of monitoring available to these customers.

So no insurance discount available with this product.

I’m actually surprised about that because there are several competing products with month-to-month service, no contracts, which will issue an insurance certificate. For example, Abode does.

Can I get a homeowners insurance discount with abode?
Yes! Many people have been able to get a discount with their home owners policy, especially with the Professionally Monitored option. You can download a certificate in the web application at https://my.goabode.com to provide to your insurance company.

And simplisafe does as well:

https://simplisafe.com/forum/customer-support-forum/emergency-dispatch/alarm-certification-insurance

The insurance discount will only apply to the time when you have professional monitoring activated, but the month-to-month aspect shouldn’t make a difference. But apparently ADT is not going to issue a certificate for the SmartThings product.

Given that, I’m also surprised they’re not telling their call center reps that that’s a difference between their professionally installed products and the DIY product.

1 Like

This is a huge snafu that will shock any customers who expected to follow-up with their insurance companies once they decided to keep the system.

:confounded:

I probably wasn’t going to upgrade my hub anytime soon given the need to upgrade contact and motion sensors as well.

I definitely won’t do it if they don’t change that policy…

2 Likes

Maybe someone who has actually bought the system can get the information about the monitoring certificate confirmed one way or the other. I’m just reading off the document that was linked to and it’s possible that that was an early release draft, since it doesn’t seem to be officially available.

2 Likes

Let’s hope they decided to be stingy with the lawn signs and generous with the monitoring certificates :grin:

2 Likes

It’s just funny that you can’t get everything that you would expect to receive.

It’s ADT - You would think signs would be included or at least accessible for purchase.

It’s an ADT alarm system and if you are paying any sort of subscription service, you would think insurance certificates would just be a given.

Every single one of these companies (ST, Amazon, Google, etc.) feed us one item / enhancement at a time just to tease you and suck you in. Everytime, whether it be a software update or in this case an entire security package, we are always left with holes or gaps that leave things incomplete. It’s humorous in some ways.

2 Likes

In the document @rx7kevin posted it stated ST is actively working with Amazon/Google to support voice integration when it comes to arming/disarming. Hopefully they are also considering adding the panic alarm to voice services as well.

I still think that it may be possible to trigger the panic alarm using webCoRE but I’m not exactly sure how I would go about doing it. If anyone has any ideas let me know and I’ll give it a go…

Edit: I don’t know if it helps any but all ADT devices use the ‘Nortek’ device type. For example, the ADT Panel is identified as a “Nortek Panel Device”. The door/window sensors use “Nortek Door Window”. The motion sensor uses “Nortek PIR sensor”.

You could create a virtual momentary button and a Webcore piston that triggers the panic alarm when this button is presssed. If that works, an Ifttt receipe using Alexa with “Trigger panic alarm” could be made.

Nortek is the manufacturer, but they will make devices that use many different communication protocols depending on the requirements of their corporate clients, but often was exactly the same outer case so that they will look identical.

They also make devices under many different brand names.

Their Linear/GoControl devices use zwave but many of the two gig brand use other protocols and the devices that are specific to the ADT/SmartThings security panel use a proprietary protocol which is not Zwave. That’s what the Nortek DTHs are for.

2 Likes

Ahh, figures. Another thing that occurred to me is that there would be a very good reason to lock down the ability to trigger alarms using third party hardware/software. If we could control alarms, it would then be possible to basically turn any standard sensor into an ADT monitored sensor (e.g. If non-ADT ST motion sensor changes to active, do panic alarm on keyfob). If there’s one thing ADT is going to frown on, I would think it would be this.

That’s the problem though – the ‘panic alarm’ variable doesn’t exist in webCoRE because it’s a new capability and previously undocumented.

4 Likes

I have been lurking for YEARS waiting for a system like this. My only post was probably in an entry/exit delay thread or keypad thread, in the hopes that news of a solution would eventually surface that would bridge the gap between a true security system and smart home features. Finally, I may have found what I’ve been waiting/hoping for! Since this thread is quite literally the only place I’ve been able to find any real details on the system (why are there no hands on reviews anywhere yet?!) I think I’ll wait a just a little longer to purchase just so that they can work out some of the (probably due to just being so new) hiccups or lack of official support of certain things mentioned throughout this thread. Thanks so much to everyone who has purchased and contributed info here. I’m sure there are many others like me still searching!

5 Likes

Here’s a thought, while this is a great solution, it requires you to buy a new setup (which is pricey considering the cost of the basic SmartThings hub).

Some folks using RBoy Apps have been able to replicate this setup using their existing smartthings installation/setup.

The use of the Intruder Alert Management System:

This provides the basic security setup which monitors you motion sensors, tampers switches, door/window contact sensors and then sets off an Alarm, takes pictures, turns on Cameras/lights/swtiches, sends notifications etc. This is pretty much all in one setup for security.

Coupled with a Lock User Management or any other stand alone app for arming the security system:

Folks use this to arm the security system by when exiting the house using lock button on their locks (there’s an option for a delayed arming after locking).

Basically there exist options within the ST ecosystem to replicate the ADT setup and even surpass it using all types of interfaces, if you like a Dashboard, combine the Intruder Alert SmartApp with ActionTiles to arm your setup.

If you like Keypad, you can use SmartApps for that, if you like Locks, you can use the User Management SmartApp, if you like the system to automatically arm/disarm based on when you leave/arrive, use routines with the Intruder Alert SmartApp.

I think SmartThings as a platform with the right SmartApps provides users many more options for a lot less than a dedicated ADT interface. Having said that if you’re more “comfortable” with your ADT setup and don’t mind the premium pricing for the brand (and the possibly fewer customization options) it’s a great option.

1 Like

I have to respectfully but profoundly disagree with that statement.

If you purchase the ADT monitoring service along with the new ADT – smart things panel, you have a system that does the following:

1. Operates locally as far as intrusion alerts. (No custom code can operate locally on the original smartthings hub, so none of the suggestions that you made can equal that.)

2. can communicate with the professional monitoring center even if the power goes out and the Internet is unavailable. The original hub requires the internet for its notifications, there is no cellular option. It also requires the smartthings cloud.

3. The ADT sensor system is using point to point communications, not mesh. That’s one of the main reasons that the system is described as reducing false alarms.

4. in most parts of the United States the ADT system can call the fire department. None of the options based on original hub can.

So while it’s true that there are various custom code options that can give you entrance delays and pin pads, and while you can combine the original Hub with a paid monitoring system for intrusion alerts, they simply aren’t comparable systems.

Choice is good, and I’m not saying that everyone will want the new ADT system, and obviously there is a very large price difference. But the new ADT system does offer a number of security system features which the original hub system does not and cannot.

Submitted with respect.

3 Likes

Does it have a built in cellular system?

I thought that ADT ran on Z-Wave, that’s a mesh, basically it’s an extension to SmartThings as I understand this setup or did I not understand that correctly.

True, the biggest advantage of ADT is the live monitoring by personally in your absence. If I’m correct I believe you can send text messages to 911 which could be done though SmartThings (haven’t tried this personally :slight_smile:

These are great points though.

1 Like

All of your questions are answered in the details upthread, so I suggest you read through that if you are interested. But the short answers are:

1. Yes, it has a built-in cellular system.

2. The professionally installed ADT systems do not use Z wave for the security part of the system because up until very recently Zwave was not UL approved for security systems. They use zwave for the “ADT pulse” home automation devices only.

This new SmartThings/ADT security panel uses a proprietary communication protocol for the security sensors which is not zwave. Those are the only devices which are allowed to trigger the alerts sent to the monitoring center. It also has a separate Z wave radio which is part of the built-in home automation system.

1. in most parts of the United States you are not allowed to send automated phone calls or text messages to the fire department for residential systems. They have to be manually initiated by a person.
4 Likes

I agree 100%!! This is the first viable “SmartThings” alarm setup that is monitored by one of the largest and old alarm companies. Other options in the ecosystem can get close, but to date nothing else is a match for match.

Make sure you do your homework if you ever give this a go. There are a variety of restrictions when it comes to automated systems contacting emergency services. As such, be sure to contact the non-emergency number to make sure you’re not abusing the system. In some areas, failing to do so may result in hefty fines (or worse).

On a side note, many areas still don’t support text-to-911 and it can be very difficult to determine if yours does.

4 Likes

Master Listing

https://www.fcc.gov/files/text-911-master-psap-registryxlsx

Key notes on using service:

4 Likes

True, dat. As @JDRoberts often says, choice is good. For some, a SmartThings-based security system is plenty good enough. Others, definitely not.

We have two places: primary home has ADT Pulse (and SmartThings), second Home has only SmartThings. Our primary use of ST is environmental monitoring and security/convenience lighting control. YMMV…

4 Likes