ADT partnership: ST-ADT touchscreen hub and devices (discussion thread)

I just did some digging and here’s what happens when the panic alarm activates:

Keyfob: ‘panicAlarm’ seems to issue either a ‘panic’ or ‘clear’ command.

ADT Panel: The ADT panel uses ‘alarm’ to initiate the alarm. The value for the ‘alarm’ attribute is the deviceID of the device responsible for the panic alarm (e.g. the keyfob). ‘CLEARED’, rather than the deviceID, is used to stop the panic alarm.

It may very well be that nothing more than a minor update in webCoRE is needed to use the ‘alarm’ attribute.

1 Like

Something to note… I was not able to enter test mode until I had connected ALL ADT security devices. I had not planned on using the motion detector so it was still in the box.I called the ADT help number, they answered immediately and informed me that I needed to activate the motion detector.

As of now my system is installed, online and being monitored by ADT. I tested the cellular connection and it did in fact contact ADT when my WiFi was down. I also tested with the ADT panel on battery with no WiFi and the cellular worked flawlessly.

2 Likes

Hmm, so you mean the system knew you had purchased a motion detector and had it associated with your account, but it was giving an error because you hadn’t activated it?

Or the system will refuse to work if at least one motion sensor isn’t a part of it, period?

The system is sold as a security bundle (1 motion sensor and 2 contact sensors) and it wouldn’t activate unless the entire bundle was installed.

2 Likes

Good catch – I also planned on just using the door/window sensors. A workaround seems to be to bypass the motion sensor once its activated. I can’t use motion sensors because I have a big German Shepard dog and she’ll definitely trigger it when I’m away. She’s my other security system and all she requires is walks and an occasional part of my steak. :smile:

Anyhow, the test procedure was pretty easy. The only thing that wasn’t immediately obvious was that if you have the keyfob you also to have to trigger a panic alarm before it’ll let you fully activate. Also, ADT requires a seven day grace period before it will actually start to respond to alarms.

1 Like

I’ve been observing from the sidelines for a few weeks but finally decided to create an account. I appreciate all the good info from those that have taken the plunge (@sgr215, @seeharrison, etc.). They have covered the majority of my questions/concerns. I was also eyeing the Ring Protect, but due to the lawsuit it’s no longer available. The Protect mentioned it implemented Z-Wave Security 2 (S2) as well as SmartStart. Any idea whether the ADT SmartThings device also implements either? I have yet to find a good official list of tech specs which would include answers like this. Thanks!

1 Like

The only devices which are allowed to trigger a call to the ADT monitoring center are using a proprietary messaging protocol which is not Zwave. See comments and link upthread.

According to the official conformance statement for the home automation portion, that doesn’t support S2.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2616

1 Like

Thanks, I guess there probably aren’t many S2 devices now anyway, so if you wanted to make use of it and have better device selection you would have to wait a few years.

1 Like

My two main reasons in going with this solution were the fact that it integrated with SmartThings natively and that it was monitored by one of the top monitoring companies in the world. (customer services woes aside :slight_smile: ) I just got all signed up for monitoring this morning and couldn’t be happier with my decision. Let us know if you have any questions or need any help. You know, since @sgr215 and I are practically ADT Canopy veterans. :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Native ST support was the primary reason I bought this system. The ADT/ST integration just seemed like a logical evolution in home automation to me. After all, a truly smart home should be capable of communicating with virtually every essential device in the house. This is why I feel so strongly about the need for third party developer support. Third party developers are what has made ST so awesome over the years. I’m hoping this ADT panel will ultimately serve to expand the true ST experience and not just become another generic security system solution. With that said, right now I’m very optimistic that it will considering basic control via webCoRE is already possible.

…and yes, I’ve spent more time than I care to admit messing with this system. :grinning:

1 Like

Has anyone been able to set up an account at myadt.com after activating the monitoring service? I’ve tried for two days but get repeated errors. ADT customer service was unable to determine the cause when I called (otherwise their customer support has been surprisingly helpful).

I get a generic error as well. I suspect the service is intended to be managed directly within ST app itself. If you haven’t done so already, you can access the ADT account management page by clicking the ADT logo at the top of the dashboard and then clicking the ADT logo again under “Monitoring Services”. It will then automatically sign you into the ADT account management page. This is where you can do virtually anything ADT related (e.g. change billing settings, change account security settings, add contacts, etc.).

1 Like

Well, this answers my question. Looks like I’ll move forward totally dumping ADT since I’ll have to buy all-new sensors anyway.

That may very well be the case (the service is intended to be managed directly within the ST app only). The only problem is that there are certain ADT actions that are not included as part of the ST app (such as ordering ADT yard signs). To do that you have to have an account at MyADT.com. Have called two days now and customer service seems to be very confused as well as to why they can’t get an account set up on my behalf either.

Update: A rep was finally able to determine that we aren’t able to sign up for a MyADT account since we are “DIY” users. I asked her if I could place an order for a yard sign (since that’s one of the main deterrents) and she said that she would try to put the order in, but couldn’t know for sure whether it would actually go through ("you’ll know in two weeks or so if you receive it). A little frustrating if we aren’t able to get signs, since studies show they alone are pretty effective.

If you don’t get them in 2 weeks (lol gotta love that), there’s always this route you can take:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/PROTECT-YOUR-HOME-FOR-THE-HOLIDAYS-SET-OF-2-NEW-ADT-SIGNS-AUTHENTIC/253247651735?hash=item3af6bc7f97:g:VRcAAOSwP4FaAhSA

3 Likes

That’s what us “DIYers” are reduced to - ordering off ebay! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Or pay for monitoring services for a month, create your myadt account get your signs, and then cancel monitoring and go back to diy.

It wouldn’t surprise me if certain benefits aren’t included. I’ve never used ADT directly but I’m guessing service directly through them is more expensive? Regardless, I’m a bit weary about using any yard sign that identifies the make (and possibly model) of a security system. If a thief is determined to get into your home, this bit of information can actually be used against you. Here’s an example of what I mean: In 2015 hackers at the Defcon 22 conference announced that it was incredibly easy to arm/disarm ADT based security systems by hijacking the wireless frequency. This resulted in a class action lawsuit against ADT. Here’s the thing: If you had an ADT sign out front at the time, this would have given a smart thief enough information to know exactly how to disable your security system. As a result, I use this generic security sign instead: https://www.amazon.com/Security-Alarm-System-Window-Stickers/dp/B004X2O9IA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510096072&sr=8-4&keywords=security+system+sign

On a side note, has anyone noticed unusual activity with the panel? Two times now I’ve heard the panel talking to itself but I’m never close enough to hear what it saying. Both times, I get a message on the unit saying that the unit cannot be disarmed because it is already disarmed. For the record, I’m not using anything that would trigger a disarm command when this occurs.

This can work in two ways, pros and cons to both. Having a sign by a reputable company will detour most thieves, period. If you are concerned that they know the make of your alarm, it doesn’t matter whether they disarm it or not. If they want in, they are going to get in. This is going to detour your random thief without skills from making a bad decision. However, having a generic sign doesn’t allow anyone to identify your system, if you even have one, and your saavier thief with skills knows these signs are generic and in a lot of cases know people who purchase them, don’t even have an alarm system to go with the generic sign. So for those that have an alarm system and a generic sign are more prone to a break in based on both scenarios listed. That’s just an opinion, not based on any numbers. Having a sign period will help detour most from even bothering.

4 Likes

I definitely don’t disagree when it comes to the effectiveness of signs… the vast majority of break-ins are amateur-opportunists who once they see a sign – any sign – go elsewhere. I would even argue a sign in itself will deter the vast majority of home break-ins. However, I don’t really believe there is a difference between a branded sign and a generic sign in this type of scenario. If I’m an opportunist, I’m going to go to whichever house doesn’t have a sign because why risk it? After all, for every house that has a sign there’s probably ten others that don’t on the same block.

Perhaps its just my background in information assurance speaking. It’s just that in targeted attacks, knowing the make and model of the device you’re attacking is a major advantage (this is how the majority of data breaches occur). Equifax, for instance, used the default username/password for its non-US database (which was admin/admin). Meanwhile, the ADT/ST panel uses the default pin 1111 and does not require it to be changed upon installation. Thus, there’s inevitably going to be people who keep it set to 1111. As a result, if I know you use ADT/ST I also know there’s a greater chance you use the pin code 1111.

Having said all that, I realize that targeted attacks are incredibly rare unless you’re public figure. I just feel like its best to not share unnecessary information and I don’t personally believe a sign that says “ADT” will carry any additional weight over a sign that just says “Security system”. Let’s face it: smart criminals know its just as easy to buy an ADT sign versus a generic sign online.

1 Like