New house, new to SmartThings, first post… be easy on me. Hopefully someone didn’t already post a similar project… I did a quick search but wasn’t able to find anything.
Bought a house and decided to get the ADT hub when it went on sale to have the option of monitoring should I ever feel I needed it. Turns out that had the added advantage of the related sensors occasionally going on sale rather cheap ($5), which makes good project fodder.
This one started when the battery backup sump system I bought had a set of dry contacts (open/closed, no voltage) that closed when the backup pump ran. Did some research on how the door sensors worked, and the magnet closes a reed switch, so in essence the door and window sensor is a simple open/closed sensor when it comes down to it. So I decided to dig in and see what I could do…
Cracked open the case by twisting a screwdriver in the slot:
This is the reed switch:
Bent back the tabs holding the board to the case:
Found the reed switch solder pads:
Removed the reed switch (sorry for shaky pic):
Soldered in some wires and cut the case to clear:
Connected the sensor and wired it up to the contacts:
Modded a second one and attached to a relay to notify me if the power goes out on an outlet:
Hope this helps someone out there… I have much to learn from the site, so I thought I’d give a little back for all my lurking. Enjoy!