Adding Nest Interface to my Smartthings

Hi,
I am new to Smartthings. I have a NEST Protect (Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detector) and I want to be able to access it thru Smartthings. Any suggests on how to get started?
Thanks,
Dana

2 Likes

Yup, NST manager is great, I have my Protects and Thermostat working well with it.

Hi,

I am new to the Smartthings community and I have no idea how to download
the NST_Manager. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dana

I was able to download the Nest_Manager and the various devices (e.g., Protect, Thermostat, etc.) However, I was never able to execute OAuth on any of the Device Handlers and turn them to “true”. Furthermore, I was unable to find Nest Manager in my “My Apps” in the “Marketplace”. Any suggestions?

You need to read the documentation all the way through and carefully. It walks you through the entire process, including performing OAuth on the SmartApp, not the device handlers.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=NST_Manager

When it comes to NST Manager, I will assist whenever I am available, but I know when people read the entire set of docs, casually flip thru them or completely skip 'em. Don’t be a casual flipper :grin:

4 Likes

Make sure you are signed into the right server and with the correct account.

You will want to sign in here, https://graph-na04-useast2.api.smartthings.com/, and with your Samsung account (not SmartThings) account.

1 Like

Ok. I will try that Brad! It is mind boggling how you never know which
server you are on!!

One thing we have been telling quite a few people using NST Manager lately, feast or phamon, when it rains it pours, lol, is to goto https://account.smartthings.com so that when you login you are always redirected to the correct shard for your account.

1 Like

Same error message:
“You are missing the Client ID and Secret”
“We can no longer provide you with a built-in Nest Client ID and Secret.
Please check the Wiki for detailed instructions on creating your own Nest
Dev ID and Secret.”

Dana, you keep going back and forth between this thread and the official NST Manager thread. I have posted several times that you need to read the documentation that I provided and create the Nest Developer account first which you will then use information from that to populate the clientID and clientSecret in NST Manager. Did you perform those steps?

This was one of my replies to you yesterday:

I’ve read all of the docs many times. I can not find any reference to how
to create a “Client ID” or a “Secret?” Instead of being vague “read the
documentation” why don’t you simply tell me how to create a "Client ID"
and “Secret” ???

Because it’s a long process and you need to walk thru the documentation step by step. Where it says Nest Developer Account in the wiki, just like what I showed in the screenshot above, you simply click on the link right there at the bottom of the paragraph and that gives you the instructions on how to do all of it.

If you have any further issues, please post on the official thread.

And if you don’t read it step by step, sentence by sentence and miss one thing, you will continue to have issues, so it is imperative that you don’t skip one single sentence in that document.

1 Like

Adding 3 wired Nest Protects to my ST setup. I see that the Nest Protects turn on a light when you walk under them. (excited breathing. . .) Can I access the motion detector via ST and trigger other events?

I don’t believe Nest makes that available in their API, so no unfortunately.

1 Like

I’m sure your NST manager v5.0 is great but while trying to find the instructions, where to find it and how to install it, I noticed many people have no idea how to even start. You have tons of information that’s spread out and very confusing. I understand we have to follow every single step to install it, but where? Which steps? Obviously many people can’t find this.
I found a youtube video with the instructions but that was uploaded a while ago and aince than smart things interface changed and I just couldn’t follow the video.

I completely support all your efforts but you just have to make the instructions/downloads more user friendly so people can actually use it.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

I have made install about as easy as it’s going to get on this platform
Follow the instruction here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Community_Installer_(Free_Marketplace)

This app will help you install NST and other community apps

1 Like

Hey Anthony, thank you! I’ve seen this link before and the instructions. I’m just saying in general, people are busy and just used to click and install stuff. But in this case looks like Nest doesn’t want to support SmartThings and hopefully this will change soon.
What you guys did is amazing and thank you for making the integration possible.

So I’m in the market to buy a smoke detector or two and since Halo is now gone, I’m looking for other options for hardwired units that can connect to SmartThings. Albeit convoluted, what’s the current status of the Nest Protect? I tried reading through this thread but don’t feel I have a good sense of the state of things NOW.

as a current Halo owner, if i was looking currently, i’d get this. If you have interconnected smoke/co detectors, you only need this one unit. One downside is you can’t silence them from your phone.

1 Like