"Add new repository" link is missing

This is driving me crazy. I am trying to add the webCoRE repository to “My SmartApps” but whatever I do, the link to add a new repository isn’t showing up. I have already disconnected my GitHub account twice and reconnected it. But no change in the UI of my smartthings account. Here is a screenshot:

I thought I’d outsmart it, and tried creating a fork of webCoRE in my github account, but that didn’t make it show up in the UI either.

Please advice on how I can proceed.

IDE is in the process of being decommissioned. ST started removing features in October. It should be gone by the end of the year if ST meets their target date.

copy/paste the code perhaps?

That’s terrible, but somehow I was expecting your answer. Are there any instructions which portion of webCoRE I would need to copy? It seems like a huge project. I don’t even know where to start.

You best bet may be to look at the hubitat version and talk with their developers.

This might be of interest:

Farewell webCoRE, hello what?

I have been considering to switch over to Home Assistant, which I believe can do what I wanted to do with WebCoRE, e.g. control WLED. I just don’t like the prices of a raspberry Pi.

inventory of RPIs are expected to improve in early 2023. when that occurs, you should be able to get them at cost from the major vendors and not have to pay those high cost from 3rd party merchants and sellers as they have been doing this year.

sign up to be notified when they are in stock at adafruit and pihut but act quickly if notified because they sell out quickly. again, word is inventory should start increasing at some point.

2 Likes

They disabled most repo admin functions in the IDE weeks/months ago. You can’t create new repo entries, but you can still edit an existing one to point to another repo. You can’t update a custom DTH to use a different repo, but you could (as of a couple weeks ago) still do commits to its existing repo.

1 Like

If that’s the route you want to go - check prices on an Intel based NUC. If I were rebuilding my HA rig today (a pi4b 8gb) it be doing it on a NUC with a big fat SSD.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I will try my best to get one.

Thanks for the clarification. It seemed pretty much defunct when I was trying it.

Thank you very much. That is very sound advice, and I am starting to look into NUCs right now. I am also thinking that I might just get my feet wet with running HA on a VM on my Windows system first before moving on to a dedicated NUC.

Orange Pi 5 Bare Bones $83 Aliexpress

another update on RPI:

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I was able to get my feet wet with HASS setting it up on a VM on my Windows workstation. So far I am impressed as it automatically detected my WLED setup and other stuff that ST couldn’t handle. Nevertheless, I already had to edit my first yaml file to get something basic to work. Anyways, I am more and more leaning towards a very basic NUC as it does seem to offer more features at currently a similar price than a RPI 4 8GB starter kit.

1 Like

A Dell or HP thin client upcycled from eBay is a great option too. Uses a real SSD vs a Pi. I have several and they work great.

You can absolutely put a ‘real’ SSD in a Pi. :wink:

See the Argon One case. Great little enclosure. (but this only makes sense of course if the Pi isn’t $500 by itself…) its what I use for my current rig and it supports multiple key formats on the SSD.

Thats said I’d still go NUC at this point.

I realize that, I just meant most people with the small cases are using SD cards vs outfitting Pi’s with SSDs.

1 Like

I am also trying to be energy efficient as this thing will run 24/7. I am not sure how well a recycled system would do in that category. And i agree at current prices a RPI doesn’t make much sense. Although, it’s awesome to know that they are so expandable.

1 Like

Don’t get too embroiled in the cost savings - it’sone box, not a datacenter. I mean yeah I’d avoid a typical desktop / laptop but…

Typical laptop: ~60-90 Watts
NUC: ~30 Watts
Rpi4B: ~5-10 Watts

Very rough napkin math estimate:

Laptop NUC P4B
Watts: 60 30 10
Annual kWh: 525.6 262.8 87.6
Cost per kWh (USD): $0.07 $0.07 $0.07
Annual (USD) $36.79 $18.40 $6.13

So you can run three Pi’s for the cost of a NUC, but then again you get about that much perf delta but at current prices, you’ll save more than that with the cheaper box :wink:

1 Like