Account Sharing Update

Missing something. Apple Store has 2.0.4, nothing on 2.0.5.

If that is an Android release, how does that add functionality to iOS?

I don’t have Account Share option on my iOS device?

1 Like

It is available on iOS as well. It was already in iOS

Sorry, still not there. Latest version in the app store of Oct 22, ver 2.0.4.

Is there more than one app, a beta or something.

No what @slagle means is that the account sharing was already available on iOS app 2.04 but it required Android app 2.05 to be released before it could be turned on for both.

1 Like

Thanks! English language is such a wonderful creation.

4 Likes

When having a second user, should the “messages” tab show routines fired from the correct user? For example when I fire a routine it shows JW as firing it. But when she fires a routine I would expect KW to be next to it. Or is this not meant to work this way? I was hoping to use this as a tool to see who turned on what when.

1 Like

Perhaps something like this…?

• Alfred (User A) has SmartThings installed and running in his home -
    he is the administrator for Alfred’s house.

• Bob (User B) has SmartThings installed and running in his home - he
    is the administrator for Bob’s house.

• Alfred and Bob are partners in a business, and they want to use
    SmartThings to automate the office. So, Alfred adds an “Office”
    location to his setup and then sends an invitation to Bob.

• From his smartphone, Alfred can see and control the office and his
    (Alfred’s) home.

• From his smartphone, Bob can now see and control his (Bob’s) home, the office
    and (unfortunately) Alfred’s home. Hopefully, in the future, Alfred
    will be able to prevent Bob from seeing and controlling his
    (Alfred’s) home.

Continuing the scenario, Bob has a son Charlie (User C). Bob sends an invitation to Charlie, thus granting Charlie access to see and control Bob’s home. In doing this, however, even though Bob can see and control the office, Charlie cannot, because Charlie did not receive the invitation from Alfred, the administrator of the Office location.

1 Like

I think it would be easier to use an old phone as the admin for the Office. You could just use a tablet as well. Have the office admin phone add Alfred and Bob to the hub there. Now they can both see the office but not the other person’s house. Basically each hub needs a master account.

You don’t even need another device, key is just adding the Office on its own Alfred@AandB.com account. Then Alfred would temporarily use his main device to log into the account and invite the Alfred and Bob accounts before logging out and back his personal one.

This one location/account method is essentially the question I asked @ben above and sent to support as well. I haven’t heard anything back yet, but I’m wondering if SmartThings sees this type of sharing as a reasonable method to allow a one location/account best practice which in turn solves a number of problems such as the one @chuckles demonstrated as well as the OAUTH issue I’ve posted above.

The main reason I’m curious about how SmartThings sees the workaround is that its been stated previously that problems with known workarounds are classified differently than problems without. So if they see this method as a work around for those problems, a “more elegant” solution may be de-prioritized. If that’s the case, I’d simply like to know so I can make use of the workaround rather than wait for the low priority elegant fix…

The only reason I threw in using another device is I wasn’t sure how smartthings would handle it since your phone is probably set up as a presence device already. It’s been a while since I set up an account and didn’t know if it automatically set up the phone as a presence device from the start. I didn’t want to confuse Smartthings.

I would just like to add that the main disadvantage for me is that the second account automatically gets all SmartApps. For example, I want to know when the Garage Door is open for >10 minutes. On the flip side, maybe she wants to know when there is motion at our front door. I don’t necessarily care about motion at the front door. Will there be a way to have different SmartApps per account in the future or would that somehow be possible using the granular permissions?

I would turn the notification message off within the SmartApp and enable a sms message to the desired phone. I don’t see why you need a second user if they are only interested in notifications (making an assumption here).

I have 11 people set up on my second hub. I don’t like the fact they get all the notifications I set up and they REALLY don’t like it. I have about 5 more people to add on to the Hub, I just haven’t ran into them yet. They are starting to outnumber me in terms of them not even wanting it on their phones anymore. I’ve went in to show them how to turn off all notifications for the Smartthings app, but them this defeats the purpose. They all don’t need the same alerts and I really hate how this is an all or nothing situation. It is was it is, but I really hope they come up with a better solution soon and I may come in one day find the Smartthings Hub might be mysteriously missing.

1 Like

We are :smile:

1 Like

“Coming soon”
"Next few weeks"
Just kidding but serisously the sooner the better.

In matter of some allotted amount of time.

Don’t like to give dates, but it truly isn’t a Q3 thing or anything. Sooner than later.

What’s an example of a SmartApp you are having trouble with?
For example, on the smart home monitor security tab, I have the option to turn off push notifications, as well as assign a spicific phone number to get an SMS message. I believe there is also a way to get multiple phones to get an SMS message for a spicific alert, just do a forum search to find instructions.

Here is a photo of what I’m talking about:

When you do this, it turns off notifications to all phones. It’s an all or nothing situation. I can’t just do the phone number because more than one person wants the notifications, but more than one person does not. When you create the rule it’s all or nothing.

I see, I thought it was just one person that wanted a particular notification.

Still in the meantime you can disable the notifications for all phones and use the code in this link: Send text messages to multiple cell numbers? - #3 by douglasl

This way you can just enter the phone numbers for the people that want a particular alert.
I’ve been wanting to do this for a while now but haven’t had time. However i’m doing it for a different reason, I’m interested in doing this so I can have different alerts sounds via custom text message ringtone (this way I can have a siren play on all connected phones if an intrusion is detected)…

Didn’t know that was possible. Thanks for the tip, but I’ll probably just make them all stick it out.