Account Sharing Update

Not sure what you mean by not knowing this was possible. If you mean you didn’t know you can edit and create your own SmartApps, you should check out https://graph.api.smartthings.com/
You should definitely check it out, even if you don’t know how to write code (I don’t)

If by saying you didn’t know that was possible you are referring to just being able to add a phone number for SMS alerts, then disregard everything above :laughing:

Didn’t know it was possible to change it to where you could send the sms notification to multiple numbers. I wonder why they wouldn’t just add that into the other apps by default.

What if the device isnt a phone? What if you are only on wifi because you are in another country? What if you get charged for those texts? Text message based alerts really arent the answer for smartphones, push notifications with properly granularity would be nice. Hopefully, and it sounds like Tim does, we have some real solution soon.

I second that opinion. There are some things in the home only Admin should have access to and of course children may need restricted or limited access to some switches and other functions also such as setting up Smart Apps. Guest is another great example where certain functions should be limited, even perhaps by type of guest such as vendor/contractor vs. friend/family visitor.

2 Likes

So … any progress on creating owner / user accounts for the mobile apps?

Ditto.

I’d really like to limit my kids to using ST on their phones and restrict them from changing any configurations.

5 Likes

They are focusing on reliability.

And skybell.

3 Likes

Are there any updates on this issue of multilevel access?

Nah, no need. Just let your kids/significant other have full admin access. Perfectly acceptable security model. What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

Yep, also allow and friends, relatives, cleaners or guests full access as well if you want to let any of them visit your home. Perfectly good model! :smiley:

Well… to be fair… it’s not like the UI is intuitive for changing automations. So at least my friends, relatives, kids, and wife wouldn’t have a clue where to start to eff with my setup!

3 Likes

“Not a Q3 thing”…1 year later, still not even an update or announcement on the issue…

at least that statement was accurate!! LOL

Yeah, this is a little (no, actually a lot) ridiculous.

C’mon, SmartThings, how about providing basic security levels so I can give my family access w/out worrying they might mess something up.

It is taking a lot of patience to wait for SmartThings to add this functionality.

But ActionTiles (SmartTile “V6”) - which is also taking a lot of patience from our users waiting for us to release to market! - has secure “dashboard panel” granularity sharing built-in.

We appreciate your continued patience, and are doing the timeline calculations so we can announce the release date very soon.

3 Likes

While I do use and appreciate the work you guys do on SmartTiles, workarounds are not the answer. We need official support built into the SmartThings app.

I do look forward to v6 though.

2 Likes

There is more chance of Samsung donatings its profits to the community users than them ever meeting a deadline they set themselves…

2 Likes

I just started using SmartThings recently because I was on a VeraLite and they really screwed the pooch on thermostat control (on mios)… I’m really impressed with ST so far, it’s wide compatibility and ease of use EXCEPT for not having ANY granularity whatsoever on user control… At the current time I’d be crazy to add any other users to my house or even add certain controls to ALEXA because my kids WOULD make me have a “haunted house” just to jack with me when they’re not there :slight_smile:

Is there any current 3rd party work around (like a SmartApp for instance) that would give granular user control to me and those that have been waiting on it for over 2 years?

Also, a little off topic, but is there any way to get more complex with the Automatic Scene / Routine activations? I’m thinking there may be custom code involved, but wondering if anyone has seen it

Example: Run “Good Morning” at 6:30 AM or Sunrise, whichever comes sooner, but only if someone is there, and only on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I am a software engineer, and this is the kind of thing that is easy to do in code…

1 Like

I can’t answer the 1st part. You can do logical sequence stuff using CoRE.

CoRE for Dummies (How to get started and make your first Piston)

[BETA MILESTONE 2] CoRE (Community’s own Rules Engine)

Being a software engineer,you should be able to utilize core easily.

Great! Thanks, TN! I’ll check out CoRE for my second question! Hope Samsung is working on the first :smile:

• Matt