Accessing google home only devices with ST

Hello!

Has anyone any idea on how i can use a motion or detection rule in smartthings to trigger a change on a device/multiple decives wich only exists in google home?

It cannot be done at the present time. :disappointed_relieved: Google has said they are going to add more features to their Google assistant routines this year, but they haven’t arrived yet.

This is an area where Google home needs to catch up with Amazon Alexa because it can generally be done with those devices or even just with that app.

Should be atleast some sort of api where smartthings could just issue the command and send it to google for action :confused:

1 Like

It depend what you want to do exactly. Google Assistant Relay could be used this way, but I haven’t tried it yet. GAR is functioning as a Google Home device on your network and you can issue commands to it, like turn on the kitchen, what can be done by a POST as I can remember with the content

{
    "command": "turn on the kitchen"
}

(There must be some WebCore pistons ready how to do things with GAR.)

It will give an audio file result, but no text result, so cannot be used for feeding it back to SmartThings, but it can do what you might want, motion sensor triggers devices in Google Home, like the C by GE bulbs. But you need to know the command what you would like to tell your Google Home device.

By the way, if you want to switch/toggle state, you can do the following

{
    "command": "toggle the kitchen"
}

Look at this topic, how to set up, and read how it works. Unfortunately, you need an extra computer which runs 24/7 to use GAR, or just a cheap Raspberry Pi.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-assistant-relay-v3-3-beta/

2 Likes

Well, i have a pi lying around thats not in use so maby i should give it a try. Thanks for the information :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have any other computer which runs 24/7 that works as well. Windows/Linux doesn’t matter. Have a look!

2 Likes

A bit slow here, but i finally manned up and configured this. Worked as a charm! :slight_smile:

1 Like