About zigbee 3.0

Would zigbee 3.0 be as brandlocked as 2.0?

There is many 3.0 devices out there allready. But how about their compatibility with St?

From https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003226203-SmartThings-Hub-Miscellaneous-FAQ

The newest generation of the SmartThings Hub (2018) and SmartThings Wifi support Zigbee 3.0. Zigbee 3.0 is backwards compatible, which means that Zigbee 3.0 devices can connect to other versions of the SmartThings Hub - such as Samsung Connect Home, Hub v2 (2015), and Hub v1 (2013) - but these other versions of the Hub do not support QR code onboarding.

1 Like

I have a couple of the new Xiaomi Mijia Smart Light Sensors, and they work great with ST even though Xiaomi said it requires their hub. I believe I also read somewhere it only works with their hub, but that’s marketing for you. I did have to write my own DTH, but it complied to the Zigbee spec for clusters and attributes and that made it easy to put my own DTH together.

My new Aqara double rocker (zigbee 3.0) comes today, so I’m looking forward to see if ST already has a handler that will work, which I believe it may. If not, it’s easy enough for me to get a DTH put together if needed.

Hard to say because the Zigbee spec allows for manufacture specific extensions (zigbee spec section 2.3.3, page 2-4):

Manufacturers are free to extend the standard in the following ways:
ď‚· Add manufacturer specific clusters to a standard device endpoint.
ď‚· Add manufacturer specific commands to a standard cluster.
ď‚· Add manufacturer specific attributes to a standard cluster.

If they do this, and they don’t provide documentation on how to use that “stuff”, then developing an ST DTH will be difficult for developers like me (but not impossible). That still doesn’t mean one can’t be developed, but it would require the manufacturer to write it and publish it within ST’s new developer platform, OR they could just opt for cloud-to-cloud integration between their hub and ST’s.

Ultimately the answer to your question is - It Depends

2 Likes

Very complete answer, ty !

Is it this light sensor you have ? Since its on my buying list, just wanted to know first do i need to add it to penhab, or straight to ST :slight_smile:

-Tomi

No problem!

Yup, that’s the sensor I have. Works great and it reports immediately. It can be tricky to join for some reason.

After you join it, keep an eye on your hub’s event log. If you see that device rejoining, just reset the device (don’t remove from ST) and go through the process of adding a new device again. You may also have to tap on the Configure tile and then press the button on the side of the sensor. I only had to do that once and the sensor has been rock solid ever since.

Here’s more info on the DTH: (the tiles have been updated since this post, but it looks pretty much like the screenshots)

Sweet, ill order one :slight_smile: Thnx

1 Like