A weather DTH that doesn't estimate lux?

(Jeff Jolley) #1

I have a personal weather station that reports to Weather Underground. I’ve been using the Smart Weather Tile 2.0 DTH for a few months to pull its data from WU, and somehow just noticed that the illumination value is estimated based on weather conditions, rather than calculated using the solar radiation reading from WU. I would like to control lights based on the actual illuminance reported by my PWS via WU. The estimated value is too unreliable to use for lighting.

One other thing I would like is to be able to set a custom polling interval so I can get wind speeds every 1-2 minutes so that I can use them to raise and lower outdoor sun shades when it gets windy.

Does anyone know of an app similar to Smart Weather Tile 2.0 that uses actual illuminance measurements and possibly has a custom polling interval? Thanks in advance.

(Paul Haskins) #2

Does your station report LUX?

I do the same as you, no LUX and my station does not report LUX either. Never looked into it as I had no use for it.

Might find a WU that reports it and temporarily assign it. I know the Davis ones do (not the Vantagee Vue though).

(Jeff Jolley) #3

My station (AmbientWeather WS-1002) reports solar radiation in Watts/M².

I found this formula online to calculate LUX from Watts:

Watts to lux calculation with area in square meters
The illuminance Ev in lux (lx) is equal to the power P in watts (W), times the luminous efficacy η in lumens per watt (lm/W) divided by the surface area A in square meters (m2):

Ev(lx) = P(W) × η(lm/W) / A(m2)

But honestly I’m not a math guy, so I could be missing something.