SmartWeather Station Tile - Illuminance reporting granularity?

I set up the influxDB / grafana system about a week and a half ago, and have a graph of the illuminance readings from my SmartWeather Station Tile. Something I’ve noticed is that the granularity goes to pot when it’s “bright” outside… i.e. over 1000.

Is there a reason that it only reports by increments of ~1000 - 2500 at a time, whereas readings below 1000 are reported almost down to single digits? Does it have to do with the data source that is feeding the SmartWeather Station Tile?

1 Like

I assume it is only a calculation based on sunrise (time), sunset and cloudiness. Not a physical sensor.

Don’t they use “weather stations”? Those surely would include a basic brightness sensor…

Some do, some don’t. I have one reporting to WU and it does not. No idea if WU grabs that data from elsewhere (next closest station) or not.

1 Like

So where does the SmartWeather Station Tile virtual device grab its data from? Are there any other virtual weather devices that would be better?

1 Like

Weather Underground (WU) stations are an excellent crowd-based solution, so I think there are none better for this purpose. Vitual weather station pulling data from WU is pretty great, no physical maintenance, and pick any one you want. Occasionally my selected station humidity flakes out - if it mattered then I could pick a different station that flakes out in some better way.

I don’t see a lot of difference between 10000 lumens and 40000 lumens - so the light calculation works well on my planet.

1 Like