A Message from Alex on Platform Improvements and Our Plan Forward

Thank you for publicly being involved in the collaboration of the SmartThings community!!!

1 Like

PR tomorrow to make Lux a real thing in Smart Lighting. Should hopefully go live next week.

16 Likes

I, for one, am stunned that Iā€™m not paying any fee for use of the cloud platform and it frankly worries me.

If Iā€™m not paying for it, I worry that there wonā€™t be sufficient motivation to grow and maintain it (kind of like the symptoms weā€™re seeing).

If your business model doesnā€™t include recovering cost for what is going to be a very expensive effort over time, then Iā€™m left wondering how exactly you do intend to monetize me.

3 Likes

Your data. Much like the google model for so many of their pre-alphabet type services.

2 Likes

Yes, I would be happy to pay a fee if it meant it would help them with service levels, infrastructure, and expansion. I donā€™t know enough about the business model for STā€¦Iā€™m sure others on the board here do.

1 Like

If it worked flawlessly I wouldnā€™t mind paying a fee either. At itā€™s current state I would throw it in a box if they tried charging me (even though things have improved a little bit)

1 Like

Dozens of Topics speculate the Answer to thisā€¦ Just one exampleā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s a free-mium model. Base service is free, but monitoring through Scout or via Camera over the web costs extra. Quite a valid model IMO. Also, theyā€™re the only hub I know of that integrates with a monitoring company. (As opposed to the monitoring company giving you a little taste of HA for an extra fee.)

1 Like

V[quote=ā€œred5, post:223, topic:45269, full:trueā€]

Also, theyā€™re the only hub I know of that integrates with a monitoring company. (As opposed to the monitoring company giving you a little taste of HA for an extra fee.)
[/quote]

Wink and SmartThings are both ADT canopy partners. More partners are expected in the future.

Vera is also now offering a monitoring service:

http://www.cepro.com/article/vera_from_mios_introduces_24_7_professional_security_monitoring_and_video_a#

And Loweā€™s Iris has announced a similar option, reportedly using UCC.

And there are many add on monitoring services that can be used with most existing home automation hubs, although they are typically only for intrusion, not fire. (Which I believe is also true of the SmartThings/scout integration. )

I would say SmartThings is keeping up with Industry trends in this regard, but is not unique.

2 Likes

Seems that youā€™re right! Competition is good for us. Thereā€™s not much lock-in with these hubs - itā€™s a small cost compared to all the light switches and sensors you have to buy.

It confirms why SHM is a critical feature - itā€™s a steady stream of income, potentially. And the potential is there but not yet realized. Needs this plus reliability in my opinion:

2 Likes

My update for the progress this week is here: Weekly Update from Alex - 4/22/16

Thanks for all the support and great dialogue this week!

4 Likes

No, thank you Alex! Great Dialogue Indeed.

See folks, for all those negative about my negativity - @alex approves of my dialogue.

1 Like

So today was a great example of why I still cannot rely on Smartthings. After raising my hopes again that the platform is gaining reliability (several days of no issues) today I have a light turned on at a completely random time. Arguably not the biggest issue with my setup but it indicates to me that deep problems still exist. How can the platform be firing totally random events? What about the underlying system architecture, database or app design can cause random events? This just still seems completely broken. This is the standard pattern with smartthings, days, even weeks of stability then periods of crap.

1 Like

I just came home and found a light on under my house. It only comes on in one of two ways

1. Door is opened - RM rule to turn on light
  2. Press the switch

Since this is under my house and we go there like every month for storage reasons, there is no reason for it to be on

Oh I know, let me check the recent activity on my phone, DOH, activity is blank - bug reported
OK, let me check my hub logs, hmmmm, lots of nearly blank log entries

I went back 36 hours and founds where the light came on, it was me going in there but it never turned off by the motion sensor.

Bad things still going on

Rick

When my wife left the house this morning, the mode didnt change and that means my lights were all left on, my thermo didnt go into away mode and the house was disarmed.

And to think, since there have been several people saying that SHM was ā€œbehavingā€, I removed Smart alarm. Partly because around 1930 CST yesterday when my wife got home from my sons baseball game, every motion sensor and contact that I have that she walked in front of or opened the door, set off SA. I bet I had over 200 alerts that slowly rolled in over the next 30 minutes. I couldnt disarm SA! I HAD to delete it.

From the constant/annoying noise my wife was making because it was blowing up our phones, to the soft gentle alert tone my phone would make, I just couldnt take it. And now its ā€œsomething elseā€ thats jackin with us?

I wonder if anyone from ST will chime in and say what happened and when its going to be fixed.

Im having similar issues with lights not turning off. Sometimes not turning on or being delayed. Never had these issues before the updateā€¦ Things have actually got worse. Was just standing in my room in front of a sensor in the pitch black trying to find my way to the switch because the light turned off while i was in there and wouldnt trigger back on.

@slagle - Yesterday, support told me that the random misfiring of automations was still a known issue and was being worked on. Can you provide any more detail of what the specific issue is, whether there is a workaround and if thereā€™s an ETA for a resolution?

1 Like

Our engineering team is working hard on this. Itā€™s hard to provide a solid ETA for these types of things, but I assure you itā€™s on the top of the list.

1 Like

Any update on if this feature will be going live this week? Canā€™t wait!

Tim, where on the status page would failures like this be listed?

1 Like