A Message from Alex on Platform Improvements and Our Plan Forward

I have a few GE 12724’s and their response is almost instant.

This can happen with inexpensive “cheap” devices.

1 Like

Hey now. Personally, I think the Smartthings Hub is reasonably priced. I don’t consider it “cheap”…

Hopefully the bosses don’t see that Tim. :wink:

I kid. I kid.

5 Likes

Still… STILL issues with my wife’s SAMSUNG S6 Edge. I reported this months ago, and I’ve obviously just given up at this point. I don’t expect it to be corrected, which is unfortunate.

I just bought and moved into a new house. I’ve been hesitant to fully reinstall ST throughout.

LOL… I am cheap :slight_smile: i got the zwave module used for $10. Now trying to replace it with a Fidure if they would just ship my order.

None of my devices were “cheap” to me, what constitutes cheap exactly? The lowes contact sensors at $10? Which I have to say have been the single most stable thing in my system? Followed by their motion sensors. Only my ST sensors have needed multiple RMA’s, reboot’s, resets. TBH that worries me as I have more of those than everything else.

I send those back demanding a refund, then I’d go but twice as many of the iris sensors!

2 Likes

If Lowe’s would let me order some, that’s exactly what I would do. The middle of Wyoming apparently forces their system to give me the middle finger when I go through checkout. I got a deal on the ST sensors so they were like $13 each I think? Something like that, so it wasn’t bad, and ST has been good with the couple that outright failed, but still…

1 Like

I’ll rephrase.

Inexpensive devices that don’t go through ZigBee/Z-Wave certification (normally off brand) can cause all sorts of mesh problems.

3 Likes

What would we do with our time if politically correctness didn’t exist?

5 Likes

I was glad to hear this first part, but I noticed the careers page says you’re hiring for SmartThings TV positions. I’m obviously not privy to the terms of the acquisition, but are any promises made to Samsung in conflict with promises being made to the community? In other words, I’m hoping you have one roadmap for both parties.

For the record, as a member of the “silent majority” of mild-to-moderate users (and one lucky enough not to have experienced significant performance issues), I fully endorse infrastructural stability and scalability as the top priorities. But it’s mostly in anticipation that they will be followed by improved UI/UX and device compatibility, as well as a richer 3rd-party marketplace.

1 Like

Alex,

I know it’s been a couple days since you last responded on this thread. I’ve just had one question since I started using SmartThings last year. How much/many custom code/apps are you and other employees running on your personal home hubs. I have to ask this because Rule Machine brought a deep level of functionality that I was shocked to learn wasn’t already on the platform, outside of doing a ton of custom coding(that the average person just isn’t capable of). Are there plans to increase the free use of conditionals for the Smartlights local running app? (example: turn my light on if motion is detected but only if lumin level is X) This is a very basic example and something the competition has been able to do since day one.

Thanks again for addressing the issues directly.

2 Likes

I am guessing there are. Last year the rollout of the v2 hub, new mobile apps, SHM, and European support all seemed really premature. None of the above was finished, but was rolled out in time for a major Samsung marketing event. Since then things went downhill fast!

Just sayin’.

4 Likes

I remember the community (and media for that matter) going crazy over the multiple delays, so that could have played a factor just as easy as the speculation that Samsung was pressuring.

Just sayin’ too…

I don’t remember any mainstream media coverage at all. Maybe a few tech websites saying “the new hub is delayed”… but not much more.

On the community, I do remember some clamoring, but folks from SmartThings were pretty up front about the delays and kept us updated.

1 Like

This can be done with Smart Lighting

1 Like

Can we get only if switch…PLEASE, PLEASE with sugar on top!!! :cake:

@slagle …That’s not cool, you cannot tease pics of beta products…I thought that was out, but is not on Android…not fair.

1 Like

I just sent Tim a message asking why mine looks different. Is this from the iOS version or really beta? It’s nice to know that it’s on the way but something this basic should have been there from day 1. I know this isn’t the topic of this thread so I’ll stop here.

The current options on Android. Very limited conditionals supported.

Yeah, we will find out if it’s iOS or beta…

So full disclosure, that may be an internal feature, I am checking on it now. Sorry guys :frowning: I’ll take the blame.

8 Likes