4-Way Switch Question

(Nosnhojm) #1

I have a 4-way switch in my front entry that I would like to replace with a connected switch. I have many Leviton DZS15-1LZ switches around my house which work great, so I thought I would try that first. Unfortunately this setup doesn’t work for me:

Attempt 1:
Leviton DZS15-1LZ (connected switch)
Leviton VP0SR-1LZ (matching remote)
Leviton VP0SR-1LZ (matching remote)

This setup doesn’t work because I only have a neutral in the 4-way box; no neutrals in the two 3-way boxes. All three of these switches require a neutral.

Attempt 2:
Leviton DZS15-1LZ (connected switch)
Leviton VP0SR-10Z (coordinating remote)
Leviton VP0SR-10Z (coordinating remote)

Although the coordinating remotes don’t require a neutral, this setup doesn’t work because the connected switch does…and the wiring instruction mandate that the connected switch be installed in the 3-way box (which doesn’t have a neutral).

So are there any other options available that could meet these requirements? I can’t do bulbs because this switch controls a chandelier, and I don’t want to buy 12 bulbs :slight_smile:

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #2

Hi, I have several 3 & 4 way switches in my house. I use the GE switches and they work great.

(Ray) #3

As long as you have line hot and neutral going into one of the switch box then GE switches will work. If you have Line hot and neutral going to your light fixture box first then the only option is relay module such as Aeon micro, monoprice relay or emerwave installing at the light fixture box.

(Someday my dog will be automated) #4

@bamarayne might know better, since he cleared a whole Lowe’s from these, but the older GE switches don’t require a neutral. they’re rated for incandescent only, so you may find buzzing or flickering if using LEDs.

This is why we need Lutron support. :pensive:

(Nosnhojm) #5

I’m running LEDs. Converted my whole house to Cree last year.

I’ll look into the current GE switches and see if their wiring instructions work.

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #6

I do have the old style (clamshell packaging) but they DO require a neutral. The old style dimmers do not.

In my four way I had one box with hot, neutral, and traveler, second box had hot and traveler, and the third box had hot, traveler, and neutral (from the multi gang box).

I put the main switch in the first box. I disconnected the hot running to box two and three and tied it into a neutral in the main box. So, in each of the other boxes I then had a neutral and traveler.

I hooked it up and was good.

Edit - I’m running led’s on all of my lights except the dimmers.

(Jimmy) #7

What wires do the Leviton VP0SR-1LZ require? Just traveler and neutral?

(Nosnhojm) #8

The 1LZ requires line/load, neutral, and travelers. The 10Z is just line/load and travelers.