4 way Smart Switch?

Can I just use an Inovelli switch for the master and use the GE add on switches?

Wouldn’t the Inovelli work the same as the GE master?

Not sure but I don’t think so. GE slaves are spring return to center and control master by making a momentary contact between traveler and neutral. Dumb switches are maintaining their position (and contact). Inovelli switches, same like in-wall z-wave relays detect 120V AC being applied or removed and the master changes states accordingly.

GE aux switches will definitely not work. But Having the load and line in separate boxes is quite common, tagging @Eric_Inovelli for input.

Hey everyone,

Excellent questions!

@tuffloud1 – I wish we could do this and we’re working on a solution that will allow this, but unfortunately at this time, our switches can only be used with “dumb” switches for 3/4-way settings.

@ritchierich – Thanks for the tag – yeah, we haven’t come up with a solution for line/load in separate boxes for 4-way settings right now (only 3-Way). We’ll have a solution in probably late September, but we’re still working out a few things with the manufacturer.

However, I’m going to bring @TheSmartestHouse into this as last I read (was either here or on Reddit, I can’t remember) they were working on updating their Zooz switch to allow for this functionality (line/load in separate boxes in a 4-Way).

Have a great day!

1 Like

Thanks for tagging us @Eric_Inovelli. We’ll have the Zooz paddle switches updated to the new 3-way / 4-way solution which will allow connecting them in multi-point control set-ups even if line and load are in different boxes around late August. The toggle switches will be updated around late September. We’ll post here as soon as the switches are released. They’ll have new model numbers: ZEN26 for on/off and ZEN27 for dimmer. Feel free to get in touch with our support to get more details!

1 Like

@tuffloud1 sounds like Inovelli and Zooz will have solutions for you in the coming months. If you need a solution now the GE switches will work but requires 1 master and 2 auxiliary switches. This solution is obviously more expensive.

in the same kind of boat, the quandary is can you add a new wire and how much does it cost to do so if possible, or both GE and Leviton have current solutions that retrofit to the existing wiring without the need to add more. The aeotec nano as well however does not, it requires wiring for a 2+ switch configuration. If you’re doing it yourself that’s all your call, if you’re paying an electrician go with the existing solutions from GE or Leviton.

I ended up picking up the GE Smart Dimmer with 2 of the add on switches from Lowe’s.

Works perfectly and you can dim from the 2 add on switches. The blue LED indicator light on the master switch is slightly brighter than the Inovelli but still blue.

The Inovelli feels like a little better quality when pushed. The two different brands have a slightly different click sound when pushed. All in all, they look identical on the wall besides the slightly brighter indicator light.

Does anyone know if there is a DH for the GE to allow scenes when the physical switch is tapped multiple times? I applied the DH of the Inovelli dimmer to the GE and it worked for scenes only through the SmartThings Classic app but didn’t work for the physical switch.

this may be helpful, or not, I don’t use scenes or dimmers so I’m not going to read the whole thing.

Thanks for the link.

I tried this DH for the GE Dimmer and it is behaving strangely.

When the dimmer was turned off, it changes to off then reverts back to on in the classic app, even though the lights did turn off.

I tried the specific fix that someone mentioned in the thread and it didn’t change anything for me.

Maybe I’m not doing it correctly or there is new version of this DH that I’m not aware of.

In case anyone else is looking for a switch to fit the same 4-way set-up, we just released the new Zooz S2 switches that would accommodate that (you only need one Zooz switch per set-up and no add-ons): https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/zooz-z-wave-plus-s2-on-off-wall-switch-zen26-with-simple-direct-3-way-4-way

1 Like

Hi @TheSmartestHouse, could you please explain all the differences in between the ZEN21/22 and ZEN26/27?

Also, what is the color of the led on these devices, are all the same?

Thanks!

Sure, we’ll have the Zooz team prepare a comparison chart for both on/off and dimmer switches and will post it here within a day or so. Quick answer on the LED indicator - it’s white for ZEN26/ZEN27 for the pre-release production run. We’re gathering user feedback before we decide if we want to go back to blue or keep the white. Any thought are welcome!

1 Like

Here are the comparison charts:

On Off Switches: http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/150-zen21-ver-20-vs-zen26-whats-the-difference

Dimmer Switches: http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/151-zen22-ver-20-vs-zen27-whats-the-difference/

Let us know if anything is missing!

2 Likes

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I like the blue on the 21/22 and seems better for people adding on to an existing install and keeping the same look all around.

I installed Leviton (green led) for all my light switches/dimmers and wanted to use these for fan switches in the bathrooms, the difference in color will actually distinguish light from fan. Leviton’s do not have S2 either anyway so I think I’ll go with 21s…

SmartThings does not support S2 yet either but I understood from @Kianoosh_Karami they are working on adding it.

1 Like

This past week I installed about a dozen ZEN26 switches, replacing a bunch of GE/Jasco switches with blue LEDs, and I can say that I very much prefer the look of the white LEDs and which also matches the white LED of the Homeseer switches I haven’t yet replaced.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Based on messages from other users, we’ve decided to stick to the blue LED though. Most of our team likes the look of the white LED better as well but we found that our customers like to keep a consistent look between all switches and since most of them already have either one of our old models or a GE model which also comes with a blue LED, we gave in :slight_smile: we still have some switches with white LED available on the website though and will be setting some aside for on-demand orders. But the wide release, including Amazon, will feature the old blue LED.

A mistake I insist-- white is so much sexier!

This is the danger of path dependency. May I suggest you order a small quantity of blue LED for your existing customer base that may add or replace a light switch or two in the next 10 years, and give all your new 4- & 5-way switch customers the nicer white LED option.

For those who have never seen the white light, it’s a soft, white light, not a harsh bright white.

or how about a RGB light that is configurable!

Oh boy, I wonder what kind of cost this would add. Still if it was a $1 upcost, it would add lots of DTH possibilities (Red when OFF, White when ON, etc)