3rd GE Bulb Link only shows up as "Thing"

I’ve had two GE bulbs working with SmartThings for quite some time. This 3rd bulb just will not show up as a GE device type.
Steps to reproduce:

• Set up lamp 1 foot from SmartThings hub with GE bulb in lamp.
  • Turn off SmartThings hub.
  • Turn lamp on and off at 3 second intervals until bulb dims and snaps back on.
  • Turn on SmartThings hub.
  • Search for new devices from SmartThings iPhone app
  • GE bulb blinks several times (you found me)
  • Device shows up in app as “Thing”
  • Edit device called “Thing”
  • Change device handler to “GE Link Bulb”
  • Save changes
  • Try turning light on and off via iPhone App
  • Light does not respond. State of button does not change from “turning on” or “turning off” after pressed

3rd time is not the charm.

Btw, I know not all of those steps are necessary to connect a device. I was trying to cover every suggestion from all the other threads I’ve read.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s frustrating! Any chance this is one of the new daylight models? The box looks almost identical, but they have a slightly different pairing process as the new models aren’t automatically recognized:

Can you post the exact model number of the bulb that doesn’t pair correctly?

Thanks for the reply JD. The box says “soft white.” Model PSB19-SW27.
Even if it was a daylight bulb, in my last steps, I changed the device type to GE Link Bulb and it still won’t work.

Returned the bulb. Couldn’t dream up any other troubleshooting techniques. Perhaps I got a dud.

1 Like

Could be, it happens.

OK, that’s the original model. It should definitely have been discovered as itself, not as a generic thing. So I think it likely was a bad device.