2020 Rundown: Arlo Products and new V3 app?

Under linked services in the new app, the new integration is just labeled Arlo.

1 Like

Still Arlo Connect for me there, maybe not released for my region yet?

I’m logged into the first one Arlo (Connect) from the old SmartThings app now, since I tried the new one yesterday and it broke a lot of the Arlo integration. I just tried adding it again to see what it looked like, but only went as far as the Arlo login screen and didn’t log in. So now this shows both. I have no idea what would happen if I did log into ‘both’ of them, but I would guess that I might end up with two devices for the same Arlo camera if I did.

1 Like

You’re probably right

1 Like

It looks like they’ve pulled the new camera integration now.

new version is pulled, Groovy version is back :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yep, when I try adding Arlo Cameras in the new app now, it just takes me to the already installed ‘Arlo (Connect)’ service. So, I removed the other ‘Arlo’ service.

I will be monitoring this thread. Wishing there was better integration.

2 Likes

I was able to make this work guys. I’ve been searching all over and assumed there is no solution to the Arlo Pro/ST integration. I was able to setup Arlo to auto record on detecting motion using the new ST app. Here is what seemed to work for me:

• Removed Camera’s on new ST app
  • Removed Smartthings mode on Arlo App
  • Re-added the camera in new ST App. (Process can be glitchy but proceed anyway even if you do not get a confirmation of adding the camera and seems to hang after hitting “Save”)
  • It should connect to Arlo using Arlo credentials (Arlo connect)
  • It should create a new Smartthings profile on Arlo App.
  • Open the Arlo App
  • Click on Mode (bottom right)
  • Make sure, “Smartthings” mode is selected, click on the pencil icon
  • It will show “rules”, click on the pencil icon of the camera
  • In the “If the following” choose “Detects motion” checkbox
  • below under “then do the following”, select “Record video”. Pencil icon can be clicked to select duration of recorded video
  • click "save"and exit
  • Open the new ST app and create a “Automation”
  • Make sure the camera is in ON mode in ST app
  • under Automation - create something like -> IF , THEN “send notification”
  • and it records video in Arlo!
    Hope this helps someone out there!

This isn’t the same functionality as before. Essentially what you’re doing here is modifying the SmartThings mode in Arlo, and Arlo itself is doing the recording based on the motion trigger. This doesn’t work for me because all motion is triggering recordings.

I previously had SmartThings Classic set up so that motion triggers recordings only when my modes were away, night, or out (be right back). In that setup, the camera motion can be used to trigger outdoor lights when it’s dark (I do this with an illuminance sensor and webCoRE) without unnecessarily recording video.

My current workaround to this is using webCoRE to send an IFTTT maker request (only when away, night, out) which sends the record request to Arlo. It’s working quite well, and I’m actually surprised how quickly the recording begins, considering the string of triggers (Arlo motion > SmartThings > webCoRE > IFTTT > Arlo record).

With the IFTTT workaround, I’m pretty much back to where I was, but the only lingering issue is Arlo randomly switching the mode from SmartThings to disarmed. I’ve tried all the solutions I could find online, but to no avail. It’s frustrating.

A few other things I noticed in the current iteration of Arlo (connect) & new SmartThings app:

• Although you don’t have the option to trigger an Arlo recording through an automation (only trigger to turn cameras on/off), you are able to select the Arlo cameras for recording in SHM. I tested this, and when my alarm went off, all of my Arlo cameras recorded as specified in the SHM response configuration. This is interesting, because it appears the capability is actually there but they are just not making it available as an action in automations.
  • I believe one of the issues may be that the Arlo cameras are not being properly configured as camera device type. I think this for two reasons: (1) In automations, if you select send notification as an action and try to select attach photo, no Arlo cameras appear. (2) The device specific capture/record commands that I previously had in webCoRE are not available for the cameras, and when I try to select devices available to webCoRE, there are no devices listed in type camera.
1 Like

@nathancu just posted the details on how to use STHM to have a camera record from a SmartThings-connected motion sensor trigger. His cameras are Arlo pros, so that’s the good news. I don’t know if it will work when STHM is disarmed. But it looks like the equivalent of the classic SHM custom alerts.

If anybody tries it, let us know how it works.

Just edited my post - my cams are Arlo Pros @JDRoberts

2 Likes

Does it work regardless of security.mode value?

Haven’t checked on that one yet… I’ll add it to the experiments for the weekend. I have to do a solar panel install and batteries all around in the Arlos first - then I’ll do some test alerts. (I’ve got everything successfully integrated with my DSC panel now, so tripping STHM sets off my sirens, have to wait on a good time mid-weekend to piss off my neighbors.) I’ll circle back Saturday after the tests.

2 Likes

I have my Arlo Q+ & Pro 2’s setup in the response section of the STHM, but it only records when the STHM is in Armed Stay/Away mode and then triggered. Right now, there is no other way of triggering Arlo recordings in the new SmartThings app using the original Arlo (Connect) linked service that I can figure out.

There maybe a change coming though because the limited time that they had the new ‘Arlo’ linked service working, the record feature was available in Automations for the Arlo cameras. However, that new Arlo service was way under-baked since there was no other camera control or sensors available in SmartThings at all like the current Arlo (Connect) service provides.

2 Likes

Good point - I haven’t intentionally switched to the linked service yet… I’ve been working on Alexa, Google and stabilizing a few of my more advanced device handlers before tackling that.

I found @nathancu post before this one, but am still unable to replicate my SHM “Custom” rules. The normal “Security” response logic to record video when there is an intrusion works fine, but I can’t create any Custom rules like ST Classic. For example, when mode was “Away” or “Night”, and Front Yard Motion Sensor detected motion, then trigger Arlo Front Porch camera to record. This functionality doesn’t exist in the new STHM. I tried to set up an Automation to do the same thing, but the only option for my Arlo cameras in the new app is to turn on/off. That’s not the same thing as recording video.

I think the bigger question is how we’re supposed to trigger Arlo Cameras to record from the new App on their own. In ST Classic, I had an Arlo SmartApp. In new ST (v3), it’s not there. I do see it under “Linked Services” as “Arlo (Connect)” (similar to Life360, Konnected, etc.). However, when I click it, then say “Connect these Arlo Devices” and “Done”, it gives me the error “We’re having trouble connecting. Check your network connection and try again.”.

Does anyone know how we’re supposed to integrate Arlo Cameras in the new ST (v3) app? Is it like Sonos speakers where you delete all the devices, and then re-add them one-by-one in the new ST (v3) app? (And do we need to remove the old Arlo SmartApp from ST Classic first?) Or, is there a new version of the Arlo Smart App? I’ve been searching the community, but not having much luck. Kinda bummed if we’re not able to trigger recordings like we could in ST Classic, because I chose Arlo Cameras over Ring a few years ago specifically because they officially “worked with ST” (at the time), and had free cloud storage.

@blake.arnold Would you have any insight to above? Is the Arlo integration on the list of things to do, or should I possibly contact Customer Support to open a ticket?

4 Likes

Just checking back to see if anyone has figured this out yet. In the SmartThings app, I deleted all my Arlo devices, and disconnected and removed the Arlo “Linked Service”. In the Arlo app I deleted the “SmartThings” mode. I then went back into the new SmartThings app, re-added Arlo devices, and re-added them to all my Automations, Scenes, and other Smart Apps.
However, I’m still unable to set up a simple automation such as: If motion in front yard, then trigger recording on Arlo camera. I’m only able to turn the camera on/off. That’s very limited functionality.

SmartThings is still the same for me. SmartThings can only trigger recording in my Arlo Pro 2’s and Arlo Q+ cameras in the STHM and not in Automations. I still have some ‘custom’ routines in the old SmartThings app SHM, but that’s going away next month apparently so triggering Arlo recordings will be limited to just there built in motion sensors and from the STHM in the initial intrusion trigger.

I have some old Dlink IP cameras which use a special device handler that show the recording option in Automations, but the Arlo cameras don’t have the same recording option in Automations.

It seems to me that ever since Arlo split from Netgear that they don’t really care anymore. After all, SmartThings can’t force them to do anything if they don’t care or want to. I’ve tried Arlo support a few times, but they just don’t seem to care and they think it doesn’t have anything to do with them. But I believe that Arlo (the manufacture) should be responsible for the connected service and provide the integration service to SmartThings, right?

Yes, on the new platform the device manufacturer is responsible for the integration.

It is possible that Arlo is one of the old legacy integrations from the old platform where the manufacturer sent the physical device to ST and ST wrote the DTH. Some of those, like the one for Lutron, are now in limbo because the manufacturer says it’s up to ST to make any changes and ST says “we don’t do that anymore.” :disappointed_relieved:

Some, like Harmony, appear to have disappeared altogether because the manufacturer did not pick up the coding responsibilities. (Well, in Harmony’s case, they wrote their own code to allow a harmony remote to control an ST device, but nothing to allow an ST automation to trigger a Harmony activity.)

so feature support Does seem to be eroding for the Arlo integration.