2018 - Current: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Z-wave+ Shades & Bali Autoview Z-wave+ Shades

Can you PM me the normal dimmer DH being used in hubitat? I want to check if it polls the shade at any point.

Also can any SmartThings user use the normal dimmer DH and put the shade on it’s own piston and report back?

Has anyone tried to reverse the roller motor? Let me better explain that…basically move the motor from the right side to the left. It seems like it should be possible if I could remove the entire shade roll then unroll the shade and reverse the wrap of the fabric, then somehow explain to the motor that down is now up and vice versa.

I would love to know if this is a project which can be done at home, without damage…or if I just ordered them wrong and I need to deal with it.

It’s fairly easy to do but you do have to be a bit handy. If you have no valance, simple as pulling each side out, pushing each side back in and resetting the motor and setting it up again. If you have a cassette valance, you need to remove the plastic side cap, then unscrew the metal brackets to get the roll out, switch the sides and do everything in reverse.

Interesting. So really you don’t change the fabric roll at all, just the two ends of the roller tube?

So, I reversed the motor which wasn’t that hard. The most crucial aspect is that you have to ensure the rubber stopper/gripper lines up with the metal tracks inside of the tube. You should also be cognizant of the direction of the button control on the motor once it is seated inside of the valance.

Once you reverse the motor, you then need to tell it that it has been placed on the other side. This is because up means down and down means up now. I followed this video which helped me fix that right up. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=akyaRLQfrjQ

Finally, you need to set upper and lower limits. I had no issue setting the new lower limit, but for some reason I cannot set the upper limit. The motor will basically pull the shade until it can’t pull it anymore :/. I’m not sure why this won’t work. I would appreciate any help!

Also to note, when I look inside of smart things, the shade believes that it is only at 50% when it is in max up position. I assume there is a way to reset this?

Ok, I figured this out…basically you hold the button on the shade until it stops doing everything. Maybe 10-15 seconds. This resets everything, then you can start to set it up again. It is worth removing it from SmartThings before you begin because it becomes an added hassle if you don’t.

1 Like

What basically happened before the full reset was that switching motor directions made the upper limit somewhere past the top of the shade, especially since the motor sides were switched as well.

Has anyone experienced an issue with one of their shades where it won’t consistently respond to SmartThings commmands? It works perfectly with the remote on the same z-wave network, but it is hit or miss with SmartThings.

Also, it is about 5 feet from another blind of the same type which respond 100% of the time.

Can be an issue where the shade somehow connected to a repeater that’s far away. Did you try a Z-wave repair?

I ended up moving the antenna and it seems to have solved the problem. It is weird that it worked on command but the scheduling was off.

Any updates on battery issues mentioned by others in this thread? I have 4 shades with the dual battery packs. 1 of 4 shades lasts 6-9 months without batteries dying. Remaining 3 shades batteries die in less than a month. All shades are located in the same room and are using the same device handler (community). Tired of changing batteries. Are shades incorrectly in repeater mode although on batteries and not plugged in? Can this be checked? Polling too many times by SmartThings? I’m at a loss. Don’t want to use plugs because location of outlets will cause wires to be unsightly.

If you ordered with us email support and they will set up a trouble shooting session with Graber and then go from there.

Unfortunately ordered from a different online retailer (Bali blind brand). Have had success contacting Spring Window fashions directly with other issues (antenna partially detached, fabric fraying) but their response to the battery issues was to use lithium batteries and finally to send me the transformer plugs. Would love to find the issue and remain on battery packs. Struggling to figure out why one shade would not have issues but the remains do.

Can you find your Springs order number and PM it to me. I’ll try and put a note on it so you can speak to the advanced techs who know how to trouble shoot it.

Hi,

I bought my motorized roller shades from BlindSavers.ca and am experiencing the same issue as many of the other users. Blinds work fine when it is activated as a single device on ST or the remote. However, when the blinds are activated (on/off) as part of a group in routine or scene then the problem happens - opens / closes x% and locks up. Sometimes the lockup happens at different percentages - 10%, 25%, 50 %, etc. It’s been frustrating as 5 of my blinds are mounted in windows in a great room with a 22 ft ceiling. When they lockup, I have to use the Graber remote to open/close in order to get them to unlock.

Any updates on this?

Thanks,

Hey Vinh,

Please submit the form here https://goo.gl/forms/v2zJoqd4ETui2vG92

All confirmed updates are being emailed to everyone who’s signed up.

Hey Neil. Any update on the issue where the blinds don’t work with Smartthings or Hubitat? The months keep rolling by…

The fix is expected to come out in the motors at the end of the month last I was told (I would expect a week or 2 delay though, all things considered). The issue more is how to provide an OTA update which we’ve been discussing back and forth on ST and Hubitat.

I am keeping mum about it mainly because I don’t want to release any info without a solid confirmation from Graber/Springs. Otherwise we will end up with a situation where a promise was made but not delivered on at the time expected. If we were the ones creating the firmware and releasing the updates I could confirm everything right now and get the fix rolling. I am following it up every week and will send out updated once I have something that I know is 100%.

2 Likes

Has anyone had and issue where the blind has no preset upper or lower limit? Right out of the box this one blind I have will completely roll around. Based on my knowledge of setting upper and lower limits, you have to hit the upper or lower limit just to start setting new ones. Since the blind never stops rolling, I can’t set it.