Smart Shades Recommendation

I am looking for a recommendation for Smart Shades.

I am going to be renting my home out as a Vacation Rental often and will need to be able to remotely control them when I am not home. I have a SmartThings Hub, Nest Thermostat and Android Phone. I would not be opposed to purchasing a Bridge that is designed for the Smart Shades if needed.

I will be living in the home for at least half of the year so would like to be able to set up Schedules for when they open and close. Then remotely disable/enable the Schedules from my phone so that the schedules would be disabled when the home is being rented and I could enable them while it is vacant while I am travelling so the plants in my home would receive light.

I am just starting to look into Smart Shades and would assume that all of them can be manually opened/closed often which my guests would of course need to be able to do.

Check these out, no additional hub needed (self promotion):

1 Like

Yep, the two simplest choices are the Zebra blinds already mentioned ( no extra bridge needed, those are Z wave devices) or the Lutron Serena shades, which will require the Lutron SmartBridge as well.

There are also some do it yourself projects using Dooya motors from China, but those are quite a bit of work to get set up.

For the Lutron Serena shades, can they be manually opened?

The FAQ says that they can be manually closed, but does not mention if they can be manually opened:

Good question, but I’m sorry I don’t know the answer. Lutron has an 800 number that’s open 24 hours a day, they should be able to tell you:

If you have any questions regarding installing your Serena Shades please call Serena support at 1.888.445.8063. Our support staff is available to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.