Full Disclaimer: We are dealers of Graber products, all our products are made to order at custom sizes and options.
This thread will contain all information from Jan, 2018 onwads (until discourse removes my ability to edit it) and current discussion on these and the original post will be regularly updated with the latest information.
For anyone looking for the old thread: Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades
What are Graber Virtual Cord Z-wave+ Shades?
Graber’s virtual cord shades utilize Z-Wave+ to operate and unlike other systems do not require a bridge. This means it can be directly integrated with Samsung’s SmartThings and other home automation systems. In SmartThings, it works as a dimmer switch to control the shade to any percentage and using Smart Lighting it should be able to run locally (with a compatible DH). The motorization is manufactured by Somfy, but the system is designed by Graber (Springs Window Fashions).
United States: Smart Motorized Blinds & Shades Z-Wave Enabled | ZebraBlinds
Canada: Smart Motorized Z-Wave Blinds and Shades Online | Zebrablinds.ca
Current Promotions & Coupons (Updated until Dec 31, 2021): Click here for current promotions
Types of shades available with Z-wave Motors:
- Cellular Shades
- Pleated Shades
- Natural Shades
- Roller Shades
- Dual Roller/Solar Shades (one shade in front, and an indpendent shade in the back)
- Roman Shades
- Solar Shades
- Sheer/Zebra Sheer Shades
Video of these shades in action with Google Home and SmartThings:
Video with SmartThings v2 hub:
Additional General Videos:
- Controlling multiple shades: Controlling multiple virtual cord z-wave shades by Graber - YouTube
- General installation and other info: Installation and General info on Z-wave virtual cord shades - YouTube
- Unboxing & Installing Roller/Solar Shades on a window: Installing Graber Virtual Cord Z-wave Solar Shades - YouTube
- Multi-channel remote: Multi Channel Remote for the Virtual Cord Z-wave Shades - ZebraBlinds.com - YouTube
Adding & Removing from SmartThings (or other Z-wave HA systems)
- Adding the shades to SmartThings: Adding Graber Vitrual Cord Z-wave shades to SmartThings - ZebraBlinds.com - YouTube
- Removing the shades from SmartThings: Removing Graber Vitrual Cord Z-wave shades to SmartThings - ZebraBlinds.com - YouTube
Oh no! I have connected my shades to smartthings but now it won’t go up and down by more than 3 inches. What do I do?
Ans: Setting Upper/Lower limits, Graber Z-wave Virtual Cord Shades - YouTube
Oh no! My shade is possessed! Pressing up makes it go down and pressing down makes it go up, What do I do?
Ans: Reversing Motor Direction in Graber Virtual Cord Z-Wave shades - ZebraBlinds.com - YouTube
The shades pair as a regular switch and not a dimmer switch. What do I do?
Ans: Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #153 by ZebraBlinds
I need to completely reset my shade and start over, what do I do?
Ans: To reset the shade, press and hold the button on the headrail. The button will flash green and eventually flash red. Once it cycles through all the colors and stops, the shade is reset. To double check simply tap the button and the shade will only move around 3 inches up or down.
Notes to consider: When resetting the shade, its recommended to have the shade in a halfway open/close position vs fully open or fully closed; this makes things a lot easier to trouble shoot. Also when resetting a shade, you will have to repair the remote to the shade and set the upper and lower limits again.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the difference between a roller & solar shade?
Check the following: Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #86 by ZebraBlinds
What is the difference between Even and Fashion Pleat shades?
Check the following: Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #156 by ZebraBlinds
What are the available power options?
Battery (8 or 16 AA 1.5V batteries, depending on a single or dual battery case, battery power recommended for 10 shades or less), Recharageable 3100mah Lithium Ion Battery Pack, DC Transformer (plugs into any wall outlet), or a 10 Motor power supply that you can use for custom wiring in your home.
Can I use my own wiring for power?
You can while using the following multi motor power supply: Graber-motorization-multi-power-supply-specification.pdf - Google Drive
Only the specs for the 12v power supply is relevant. The other’s do not apply to the z-wave shades. The power supply can power normal somfy motors or the z-wave motors. For the z-wave motors each multi motor unit can power up to 10 roller/solar, natural and roman shades and up to 8 cellular or pleated shades.
Can I connect these to Amazon’s Echo or Google Home?
Yes, you can. Connect your Echo or Google Home to ST and enable access in ST for Echo or Google Home to control them. They work exactly like a dimmer switch, so turn on/off and set a specific percentage level.
What is the difference between Graber Virtual Cord and Bali Autoview?
Both are made by the same company with the key difference being Bali is a big box store brand while Graber is their premium line of products. You will notice slight quality differences where Graber is just a bit better. Pricing wise depending on the source you can usually get Graber for around the same price or lower than Bali.
Compatible Official DH
- Springs Window Fashions Device Handler. This should be auto assigned when you add the shade. If not you can find it in the device type drop down.
Compatible Community DH and SmartApps: All Credit goes to @whoismoses for his wonderful work!
- ST-Z-Wave-Somfy-Remote: Lets you use your z-wave virtual cord remote as/like a 2 button minimote. You can use it to trigger things, routines, CoRE pistons, etc.
- ST-Z-Wave-Shade: Shows additional information such as current battery levels and has preset open positions and one customizable preset.
- Shady - Group your shades & blinds and control as a single device
SmartThings User Feedback/Reviews:
- Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #97 by Navat604
- Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #129 by brucewinter (includes a video)
- Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #172 by DougS
- Graber Virtual Cord Shades: Z-Wave+ (Coupons) - #46 by dpatrick
- Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #222 by ZebraBlinds
- Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #274 by toddsworld (includes a video)
- Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades - #295 by jimimoore
- Customer Service Feedback