200 Device Limitation? Really? Any alternatives?

I only have 60 devices so far but I can see having 200+ and if second hub won’t help then only thing is to look for alternatives. Too early for me to trow in the towel though.

It does actually, checked it out on my son’s tablet - I do not have a Samsung device and that “Personal Devices” option only shows up on Samsung devices, actually. Which means we can now only use that one device from our household to add devices.

And to be frank, now I am getting skeptical about Smartthings fixing this. Blake Arnold above - on 2nd Dec 2020, said:

And yet, here we are, almost 11 months later. Instead of correcting it, they plugged a hole they found in the app so that the previous workaround stopped working. So despite what they told @PradeepJose , I am half expecting them to instead plug the Personal Devices “hole” to ensure every little loophole is firmly plugged.

Or maybe after 10 months working on Smarthings, I, too, have become a little cynical. Let’s hope it’s just that.

5 Likes

Hi again…

And here I am today, with my son’s Android mobile app version number “Version 1.7.73.22”, and I am getting the error of the 200 device limit… We are at 218 devices (using Smartthings’s ridiculous method and counting child and virtual devices, as well as ancillary devices such as TVs and mobile phones. So basically, it seems that of this version number (Version 1.7.73.22), Samsung have actually removed/patched this workaround.

This would be even more utterly ridiculous given what Samsung told @PradeepJose above, i.e.:

Frankly - that could mean anything, maybe they will be reducing the limit, though that’d be some rather creepy trickery from them. However, in any case, I feel rather cheated now, and it seems like the next update (based on their recent frequency) is going to be about 3 weeks down the line. But to be honest, I am not expecting anything better. Meanwhile, the silence from Smartthings is deafening on this matter.

I still have at least 29 Z-Wave devices to add to the network, one of which is multi-endpoint (so 4 devices) - and that’s a quick mental count, sure I’ve missed a couple. So I guess, in a way, Smartthings are telling me what to do - and that is move away.

i had over 300 devices originally, but the hub tanked a couple of times with the zwave radio was acting up. now I have couple of hubs, each on its separate account with under 100 devices and so far everything is good. I mainly monitor the first hub, but I have it set up such that if another hub alarms it will trigger a sensor on the first hub.

1 Like

You’re right - given the constraints, what you did seems sensible. However, of the 218 devices I mentioned, exactly 100 are Zwave devices… The rest are child devices (I have several multi-relay switches in my network, and the app is counting each of those as 4 devices, when in reality it is only one device with 4 relays). There are also a number of virtual switches I use for scenes or in webCoRE. As well as a TV and a couple of mobile phones. No Zigbee devices at all.

So it seems to me that the zwave radio really should be able to handle this much - indeed, most of the time it works (if you discount the occasional cloud-induced lag or Smartrhings incidents). It would have sufficed if they gave a disclaimer every time I added a device that I am over the 200 limit and that it may cause problems or performance issues, but a hard block seems over the top. I could do what you did, but there is so much intelligence now built into the system, and so much inter-linking between devices, that it would make it a nightmare (and still not the ideal scenario in the end), and from where I stand, the size of the nightmare seems pretty comparable to moving to a different solution and at least having a more ideal scenario in the end.

In any case - I will wait for a few weeks and see. My future of remaining on ST depends on this limit and on how many devices I might have to throw away as ST moves towards Edge.

1 Like

The 200 device limit on Android has been removed :tada: No app update required.

7 Likes

Well, that only took a year (save 9 days…)

5 Likes

Well what-do-you-know! Wonder what made them change their mind(s)? People running multiple hubs?!

2 Likes

Yes…got a revert from smartthings but it’s only for the US region it seems. Please see their below reply. I am using a UK version hub. But at least this helps US customers.

We just heard back from a member of our escalations team and after looking into this, they mentioned that the limit thus far has only been increased for US users. Not to worry, we are asking for when the remaining regions will be ready.

2 Likes

even smartthings doesn’t have a proper answer for this. But I feel that I have to plan and need to migrate to a reliable platform in the near future.

always good to keep your options open with anything. i have a hubitat c7 on the shelf just in case! haha

1 Like

How long ago was that answer from customer service? It was just removed for me yesterday.

Got the confirmation on the 11th that the restriction is removed. But when I checked I still had the restriction on my app. I reverted back. Just today they updated me that It’s applicable only to the US region.

1 Like

Confirmed, and just in time to add a couple more Zigbee outlets for holiday lighting!

2 Likes

Now if we can have more than 20 rooms/groups…

you can add more than 20 rooms if you add them through https://my.smartthings.com

3 Likes

Any word on when Australia will have the luxury of being able to add more then 200 devices?

My set-up is 1 location and 3 hubs spread over a large site, so I was shocked when I reached the limit today.

I think the Fibaro Smart Implant that creates 1 parent and 4 child devices that has put me over the 200 limit. I’ve got 30 of them on 1 hub, 30x5 that’s 150 alone.

1 Like

I am in Europe, using what must be a UK hub, and the 200 device limit is still there. What the heck is taking you so long, Smartthings?

Thanks for this hint!. I completely moved to Hubitat C7 and this platform improved( and still improving) with a lot of compatible sensors/devces and more over local processing !

No tension on version update/cloud outage/device limit etc :slight_smile:

@JDRoberts 200 device limit just popped up again, but it is account limited now as i have a couple of hubs and definitely under 200 per hub.

so, i guess if they want to play this way now, will have to run multiple accounts! LOL

right now i have things divided up:

hub 1 - outlets/lights/buttons/remotes/keypads

hub 2 - contact sensors

hub 3 - motion sensors

1 Like