Max number of devices in My Devices

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a maximum number of devices displayed on the web IDE’s ‘My Device’ tab. I have over 300 devices but it’s only showing exactly 300. Is there any way to show more than that or have pages incorporated into the display? Searching does nothing, so any devices not displayed are simply non-existent to the search.

1 Like

Yes, there’s a max right now in the IDE under My Devices because is shows all devices for all your hubs. Do you have more than 1 hub? There’s also a max in phone app under Things (per hub), but that’s a separate discussion. Not too long ago the max was 250. It was just recently upped to 300.

If you have more than 1 hub on your account, then the only way to see those missing devices would be to go to My Hubs in the IDE and select a hub. You can’t sort your device list, but at least you can see them.

Pinging @slagle for awareness.

1 Like

Are those physical devices? Or do you have a whole bunch of virtual devices?

If they are virtual, it looks like the time has come for some changes.

3 Likes

You better hope someone is outpacing your device consumption rate…

2 Likes

They’re all physical, and I have multiple hubs. Hopefully they update it soon as it would be a great help to me

1 Like

I remember thinking to myself that that increase wasn’t going to be sufficient since some users (but not me) were already way past the 250 limit at the time, at least from what I read. I was thinking that doubling to 500 would’ve been better to satisfy the device meisters here, at least for a time :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve now passed the 300 mark. Oh why ST have you done this to @acelery and me…

@slagle @kleneau

3 Likes

When I see devices number in the hundreds I always wonder what those devices are. I love to automate everything I can but at times I just run out of ideas so my number of devices is at just over 140 and that automates most of my home. My home has 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a media room, and all the other usual rooms an american home typically has (I am a foreigner so please excuse me if this is too broad of an assumption). The home is around 3800sqft (including the 2 car garage which is fair ground for automation!!) so what have I not automated that you all are?? Is it just larger homes with more of everything or maybe just blanket coverage of all aspects that can be controlled or measured (ie every single door has a sensor, every single window has a sensor, every outlet has been automated, etc… in which case it is easy be in the hundreds… but you start to wonder how useful it actually is)

• All dimmers/switches/fan controllers have been replaced with zwave equivalents
  • A number of outlets have been replaced as needed with zwave equivalents or plug in modules used mostly for dimming rather than switching
  • DSC Alarm plus sensors via RPI as an intermediate between DSC and ST
  • Motion sensors in strategic places for specific automation (did not blanket entire house)
  • Leak sensors in most places where water is (missing a few)
  • Garage door monitoring and control
  • Sonos speakers
  • Selected internal doors have open/close sensors
  • All external doors have open/close sensor via the DSC alarm integration
  • Harmony remotes for media control
  • HUE lights
  • LIFX lights
  • RainMachine garden watering system
  • 2 Ecobee3 thermostats

Items that are present but not counted as devices are:

• 6 IP cameras
  • 8 Ecobee remote occupancy/temp sensors
  • 6 Echos

I am still trying to figure out what option to pick for:

• 6 CO/Smoke detectors. Halo+ sounds good but I am not keen at replacing all 6 in one go (I have combo first alert ones now) . Mostly I do not want to spend $800 for something that is not vetted. Other than NEST (would rather avoid) I really don’t know of any other worthy options.
  • Window open/close sensors (debating whether to expand alarm system and integrate through that or get ST sensors that won’t help with alarm)

So, what am I missing? Give me more reasons to automate my home :smiley:

1 Like

Buy another home :innocent:

But in all actuality these devices are being used in multiple homes for a study.

Some things I’ve thought of that I would want to do for personal use:

• Light up each step as you walk up it, with a buffer so the 2 in front of you light up and the 2 behind you
  • RGB LED strips (you can buy the cheap ones and automate them yourself with any arduino type device) or buy the nice ones and write a smartapp that can control each individual LED
  • Create auto opening/closing blinds using arduinos (I’ve also heard that Aeotec is creating a “smart glass” that transitions between transparent and opaque when a voltage is applied to it)
  • Voice controlled coffee maker
  • Monitor your home’s power and energy usage so you can see what you have been using (hook up CTs to your circuit breaker and you can see what each part of your home is consuming)

These are basically all the things I want to do to my college house, so there are cheap and hard ways, but also slightly more costly and easy ways.

-Alex

@aruffell - When it comes to home automation, I go to the extreme I guess. I don’t want to have to think any or do anything.

For example, in just my master bathroom / closet I have 23 physical devices.

Master Bathroom Lights [switch] (regular lights, leviton z-wave switch)
Master Bathroom Vanity Lights [switch] (regular lights, leviton z-wave switch)
Master Bathroom Shower Lights [switch] (regular lights, leviton z-wave switch)
Tub Light 1 (LIFX BR30 Color Gen3)
Tub Light 2 (LIFX BR30 Color Gen3)
Master Bathroom Floor Lights (LIFX Z Strip) this is under the vanity, lights up the floor at night
Master Bathroom Shower Fan [switch] (exauhst fan, leviton z-wave switch)
Master Bathroom Floor [heated floor thermostat] (Nuheat Signature Thermostat)
Water Closet Fan [switch] (exhaust fan, leviton z-wave switch)
Master Bathroom Motion Sensor
Master Bathroom Door [contact sensor]
Water Closet Door [contact sensor]
Master Bathroom Shower Motion Sensor
Master Bathroom Water Closet Motion Sensor
Master Bathroom Heated Floor Power Meter
Master Bathroom Toilet Water Sensor [leakSmart
Master Bathroom Left Sink Water Sensor [leakSmart]
Master Bathroom Right Sink Water Sensor [leakSmart]
Water Closet Lights [switch] (regular lights, leviton z-wave switch)
Master Closet Lights [switch] (regular lights, leviton z-wave switch)
Master Closet Mirror Lights (LIFX Z Strip) this is under the vanity, make sure you look good with good light
Master Closet Floor [heated floor thermostat] (Nuheat Signature Thermostat)
Master Closet Motion Sensor

I have 13 webCoRE pistons just for the bathroom.

For example…

1 Like

I don’t want to jinx or derail the Topic, but have you thought of what you would have to face if your Hub permanently died and needed to be replaced?

Automate the setup

? How ? :confused:

@acelery - I like the step lighting effect you described. I am afraid that home automation response times and lack of determinism (it happens when it happens depending on the other 1000 things going on in the cloud and hub) may make it impossible to achieve. Either way, the day I change my stairs from carpet to hardwood I will check back to see if this was resolved as it would be really cool. I saw a foot tunnel in some airport (Germany??) where the colored light would follow you as you walked down the tunnel. It was really cool and a very smooth effect.

I monitor my homes power usage with Aeon’s HEM Gen 2 installed in my outdoor electrical panel. I’ve read about other devices with more inputs to do what you described (monitor more sections of the home) but the wiring in american homes is really weird… to save a bit of copper you can find random parts of the house on the same circuit as the electrician’s goal is to use fewest breakers possible, and the least wiring possible whilst balancing the load. Once example that irritates me is that my power room has a GFCI outlet that also power the outlet in the bathroom upstairs… WHY??? I’d rather have the two on different circuits and just add another GFCI upstairs. Actually… what I am doing now is replacing all the breakers with AFCI & GFCI combo breakers (20A each). The latest NEC code is expanding GFCI requirements (finally!!!). Anyway, my point is that measuring random parts of the home may provide data that is not very useful. If the wiring were limited to zones as where I come from then you can easily measure each zone for its consumption. Next time I buy a house I will have it built like it should be… :slight_smile: thanks for your input!

Unfortunately, it is a situation that both myself and ST has put me in. I accepted the risk because there are no good alternatives. They just don’t care.

1 Like

@whoismoses - Impressive setup you have in the master bathroom! You just gave me a few ideas I can implement! Unfortunately I do not have access to power under the sink level as the two outlets are both above therefore strips might be hard to do without visible wires. I really like the idea for nighttime use and atmosphere it likely creates!

What are the door contact sensors and motion sensors used for in the bathroom? I have one but I mostly use it for temp and humidity… The WC only has light and fan control so I definitely need to add a leak sensor (forgot about that!).

Shower motion would be useful as I sometimes forget to turn the fan on (yeah, I have not automated that yet… just turning off after lights are out and X times has passed) and yelling to the Echo nearby is not ideal but I have to wonder how it will do with all the water vapor getting into it. Any thoughts?

Living in Texas we get natural floor heating :wink: so that is one less thing to automate…

Thanks for your input! Cool ideas… and now I have a few more excuses to grow the 6 devices I have in mine to… we’ll see! :slight_smile:

@tgauchat - We will have to establish support groups (not as in tech support but emotional support !) for those enduring this torture.

2 Likes

Holy crap Eric! I thought I was bad with 15 devices in my master bath and 4 pistons!

Though, you are missing one important element…
Where’s your echo?

When we bought our house 3 years ago it was a super fixer upper. We have since gutted most of it. I redid the bathroom mostly myself so I was able to put in receptacles and switches EXACTLY where I wanted them. Except for one. I regret not putting a receptacle behind the toilet. A small light strip back there would be perfect for late at night when you don’t want to turn the lights on. I’m considering switching the 2 bulbs out for 2 LIFX bulbs. Those dim properly down to 1%.

They are used to control the lights. Sometimes the door is open so the motion sensor takes care of turning the lights on. However, if the door is closed, the contact sensor is a little faster to trigger. The motion sensor in the shower is used to determine if someone is in the shower and manage the lights.

I forgot to mention the Echo. I have one in the bathroom.

3 Likes

Well, time to make some changes. Added another Harmony Hub today and scratched my head for a couple of minutes as to why I couldn’t select 1 of the activities I created. It was tucked away on the 2nd page of Devices in the IDE. Didn’t even know I hit the 300 Device limit. :thinking:

Guess I’ll start with any Virtual Switches I don’t need and some also some of the 30+ Echo Devices!

1 Like