12XXX vs 14XXX GE switches - Will the 12 series be better for delays?

I’m sure I will get used to the .75 second to one second delay from using a smart switch, but I would rather not.

My understanding is that the 14 series switches allow a double tap to be used/ programed (ie WebCor piston event for a double tap, maybe set a scene in my living room for “Movie Time”).

I don’t care for the delay of the switch verifying that there is no second tap though. Is there a way to disable this? I have not found anything ‘helpful’ through searching when it comes to disabling it.
I am not worried about total device capacity in my home or range. My home is 1200 sqft on the main finished level, and the same in the basement. I will have less than 50 total devices using ZWave, so ZWave plus isn’t necessary.

Will the 12 series switches eliminate the delay all together, or just shorten it? Currently a 14294 switch I purchased to test with has just over a 0.750 second delay for both the on and off function, no features configured on it (Right now it’s just on SmartThings with an Alexa integration via the SmartThings hub).

(Nathan Curtis) #2

I have both in my home. I cannot tell the difference. Technically, yes there is a small delay, practically you can’t ‘feel’ it because when the 14xxx may have a delay to account for the DTH, the 12xxx are just generally slower devices. (remember the 14xxx series are ZWave Plus, newer processors, etc)

Basically, this all means that I have to have a list of what I installed in what room to even tell the difference.

Thanks for the feedback - I noticed someone mentioned that the 14x had the instant status feature on another forum, but no other mentions anywhere else. Can anyone confirm this?

I may look at Lutron before spending $800+ on switches, but that means I have to order one and play with it as well!

The delay comes when it is activated via your hub. I have a GE switch and there is a noticeable delay…but part of that is also the discount LED bulbs I have in that room. Even with a regular light switch they take a second to turn on. So, faster LEDs with no ramp-up will definitely help. But I find that with the GE when i press on, they come on. No noticeable difference from other switches. The only delay is when it’s controlled by the hub.

Interesting. I will check out some more bulbs.
I had no added the switch to the hub yet and still had almost a one second delay when pressing the button. Now that it is paired onto the ZWave network, it is not any faster or slower (that I know of/ can tell).
Currently my test board is using a Phillips 60W equivalent LED bulb - 2700k that I just picked up from Home Depot over the weekend. I also grabbed a pack of ecosmart bulbs (I wanted to see which would dim to the lowest level) the Phillips bulb was significantly more expensive than a pack of ecosmart bulbs (which I haven’t even tried yet).

(Nathan Curtis) #6

Also note that if you’re testing dimmers, check for ‘buzz.’ I’ve only found a handful of dimmable LED bulbs that don’t buzz when you dim them. (Hint: it’s not the cheap ones…) Apparently, dimmable does not equal silent. :slight_smile:

Very true. Another reason why the GE are so popular. I have no appreciable buzz even with the cheap bulbs.