What is SmartSense Camera DeviceType?

Digging through the updated devicetypes in the IDE, came across SmartSense Camera

Any info on this? Is Smartthings going to announce something?

From the code, it appears to be zigbee? Hmmm… Did I find something I shouldn’t have?

1 Like

Inquiring minds want to know! (How’s that for a blast from the past. You young whipper snappers wouldn’t understand.)

Parents just don’t understand…

So. Nothing to see here, move along.

It hasn’t be (that big of) a secret that we are unhappy with the available camera options in the market. We think there should be a low power, wireless, ZigBee camera that, while not capable of HD video could create a good snapshots and maybe a burst video function, all for $50 to $75. That doesn’t exist and we have been trying to see if we could change that. The price point is the hardest part, and then the sending images through the hub. But we think both of these could be solved in the future, unless someone beats us to it.

1 Like

And why would I want that if I can get WiFi camera with P&T (Foscam for example) for the same amount of hard-earned cash?

@geko I’d love a battery powered option personally.

That’s a valid point, although you’d need a fairly large battery for sending even low-res video bursts over the low-bandwidth Zigbee link.

Something like this:

1 Like