FAQ: Use Aeon Minimote for Inclusion

I’m using a Version 2 Minimote. Based on several forum posts, I was under the impression that if you update the firmware on your V1 Minimote, it’s effectively the same thing as the V2 Minimote.

It doesn’t surprise me that others are having trouble getting their Minimotes working considering the difficulty I had getting mine fully operational with Hub V2. I would recommend reporting this to support in case it’s a bigger issue that needs to be solved.

Thanks Josh, just left a note with Aeon Labs support. I’ve updated the firmware to what’s on their site (v1.19) and reset it a number of times. It always adds nicely to the ST V1 Hub and functions to include/exclude devices. However, I’ve never been able to get it working on the ST v2 Hub. If anyone else has a v1 Minimote working on an ST v2 hub, it would be good to know what how that was accomplished.

I also just got a v1 minimote and tried to pair it with my v2 hub. I updated the firmware but still cannot get it to pair with the hub. I have tried all of the tricks, like excluding it, resetting, being very close to the hub. It does all kinds of flashing of the red and blue lights, but it never pairs. Actually, it makes the green light on the hub change from flashing (pairing mode) to solid. Anyone else seeing that?

Well, I got in touch with Aeon Labs support and was told that the Minimote isn’t actually supposed to do Inclusion and Exclusion as a secondary control, he was surprised it worked on the ST v1 hub. Then I checked the manual, and indeed it states under the Inclusion/Exclusion section:

Note

Secondary Controllers are not able to include Z-Wave products; the LED
will stay solid red for 2 seconds to signify this before exiting
Inclusion-Mode.

Which is exactly what I am seeing after pairing it to the ST v2 hub.

After asking support more about the inclusion/exclusion function of the Minimote I got back:

There are 2 options for the use of the minimote, but this is
depending on if your Gateway is set up as a SUC (Static Update
Controller) or a SIS (Static Update Controller ID Server).

Generally most gateways are a SUC, and when controllers such as the
minimote are included into these types of primary gateways, they are
included as a secondary controller which only allows scene and group
control, but lose the inclusion and exclusion process.

When a gateway is a SIS and includes a minimote into its network,
it is included as a inclusion controller which allows inclusion and
exclusion but loses its ability to control devices (no scenes anymore).

And finally I found this on these forums this from one of the ST engineers
(SmartThings Hub Version 2.0 around post 240):

“The hub does act as SUC/SIS and you can include/exclude from the Minimote.”

Beyond me to unravel at this point, but interesting nonetheless.

Great information! I probably should have been more clear in my original post, but I meant to recommend reaching out to support@smartthings.com to let them know you are having issues with the V1 Minimote using it for inclusion/exclusion with Hub V2 (which works fine with Hub V1).

I re-ran the executable to update the firmware on my minimote again and then I was able to pair it. I was never interested in using it to exclude/include, so I haven’t tried that yet, but I am able to use it successfully in SmartApps and SmartRules.

1 Like

Hub V2
old as dirt minmote- so i assume V1- updated to latest firmware before starting (1.19)
used learn button to pair to the hub- hub recognizes it’s a aeon minmote
I can use Button Controller smart app with minimote and it works.

But if i try the “include” button to remotely include devices to the hub the minimote errors out with 2 second red LED before inclusion mode even starts.

My guess is ST futzed with the SIS/SUC mode from V1 to V2 of the z-wave chip

It may be a limit of later versions of zwave firmware in the controller chip. When Vera changed from zwave version 2.78 to 3.20 they also removed the SIS/SUC mode that allowed secondary controllers to include. Is there a way in the IDE to see what version of zwave is on the controller chip and we could compare V1 to V2? when i look under "my hubs all mine sayus is

zwaveRegion: 1
zwaveSerialVersion: 0
zwaveSucID: 00
zwaveVersion: 0000

anyone with a V1 showing something different in the IDE?

1 Like

Weird. I believe you, but I did include and excludes from the Minimote For my v2 migration and everything worked fine.

I can’t check the firmware for a couple of days. But I’ll post after I do. (I’m quadriparetic with limited hand control, so I can’t plug it into the laptop. I have to wait for my techie aide.)

I tried removing and redoing it about 5 times. Sometimes with resetting the remote and sometimes without and still nada. Sent ff an email to support to let them know.

But in the mean time I’ll just dig out a long cat5 and do what i have to do.

At this point i’m mostly curious what the deal is since i’ll work around it now.

it will be nice once they work out the battery inclusion process. I’ve had a ztroller, a z stick, 3 or 4 versions of vera’s and all had a battery (internal or an external pack) to walk to devices for inclusion one way or another. Sometimes the process wasn’t great for sure- but you had the option. The only one that didn’t do batteries was the staples connect i tried for a couple weeks recently- that goes about it differently by having wifi. So you need to plug it into a nearby outlet but then it jumps on the network wifi and does it’s thing that way- then you move it back to wherever you want to keep it.

The minimote is nice alternate- but i dont think it works for secure devices anyway- like door locks and the like. For those- short of uninstalling the lock from the door and walking to the hub one would need to drag out the long lan cable anyway. So a battery process would be great for those.

1 Like

I also couldn’t get any of my three v1 minimotes running the latest firmware to include or exclude with v2 hub. Add you mentioned I was able to set them up with button controller. I have strong mesh I didn’t have any issues leaving st in the closet and working out. But it would be nice to have the option. …

1 Like

this is what my minimote shows up in the IDE with:

Raw Description 0 0 0x0101 0 0 0 8 0x86 0x72 0x70 0x9B 0xEF 0x85 0x2B 0x26

see http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/device-type-developers-guide/definition-metadata.html#fingerprinting for explanantion of the fingerprinting. In a nut shell a bunch of those numbers are the capabilities of the device.

Can someone with one that works for inclusion (either on a V1 or V2 hub- i dont think it matters) post your raw description?

I think is should probably have 0X34 (Network Management Inclusion) listed as a command class in order to include. https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/doc/zwave-utils.html

1 Like

I purchased the V1 and upgraded it to 1.19, and also bought the V2.

I could not get the V1 to act as an includer for Hub V2. Minimote V2 does include just fine with V2. Both Minimote V1 and V2 work fine for exclusion – though with Minimote V1 you don’t even need to join it to the Hub. Keep it unpaired, walk around to your devices and just exclude.

On a side note, it seems like you could do some serious damage to someone’s setup if you got close enough with a minimote in your pocket… :stuck_out_tongue:

Zwave exclusion typically requires pressing a physical button on each device to be excluded for exactly this reason. There’s a handshake process. The controller says “Go ahead and exclude now if you want to” and a person has to put the individual device into exclude mode to complete the process.

So walking around with a minimote sending out the exclude message in your apartment shouldn’t affect your neighbor’s installation at all unless they happen to press the reset on their device at exactly the same time. :sunglasses:

Actually, with some switches and dimmers, just hitting the switch while the Minimote is in exclude mode will cause that switch to be removed. I’ve had this happen to me when I was working on the system and someone else was in the house. That created a huge mess!

Wow, that’s definitely not “best practices” zwave device design! What brand were the switches?

Leviton. They don’t have a reset button, it’s just hit the switch to include or exclude.

Got it. That would definitely be an apartment problem. :scream:

Most of my devices are this way… mostly GE and Intermatic switches/dimmers and lamp modules. Tapping the switch while the Minimote is in exclude mode (and nearby) will cause them to be excluded.

Actually, this is something to be careful off.

Image the following scenarios:

Scenario 1

You get a new zwave device by mail that you have been waiting for and cannot wait to install and use it.

You start to get it ready to where you going to install it. For some reason you need to exclude it first, or maybe exclude a device it is replacing.

After starting to exclude you realize that you need some tool, screwdriver, extra wire, or something in another room, you go to that room and turn on the lights, then off the lights, and without thinking you have excluded a light switch you did not want to exclude.

Scenario 2)
Similar to above, you have just gotten a new device you want to install, while you are excluding it, or what it is replacing, someone in the house turns a light on and off.

That light is now excluded.

1 Like

I don’t do this sort of work with anyone else in the house. Too risky.

1 Like