Zwave and Zigbee issues mounting August 2016

Is there a similar action to a Z wave heal for zigbee mesh networks?

Unplug the hub for at least 15 minutes (take the batteries out too).

Try killing the power to these devices for a few seconds and see if they start responding again. There has been a long running (years) issue with GE/Jasco devices where they can ā€˜hangā€™. Even though these devices are on the compatibility list, SmartThings has done nothing to address this issue. I personally had to do this last night (and every couple of weeks).

1 Like

@BBoy486

For the zwave switches this odd what Iā€™ve done in the past.

• Pull out the air gap.
  • open the app and go into the device settings for the switch.
  • tap replace
  • when ready, push in air gap and then turn on the switch. You may need to turn the switch on and off multiple times until the app said replaced.

I did that last night and this morning no improvement

The only issue with that is that the Jasco is a receptacle outlet .

Sorry but what do you mean airgap?

2 Likes

Yep, @BBoy486 thatā€™s it right there

1 Like

Mine are too, flip the circuit breaker, count to 10 and flip it back on (can you tell I used to work in Tech Support?) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you didnā€™t recommend restarting the router, I know why you no longer work in the tech supportā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

Turn it off and turn it back on again :+1:t2:

1 Like

Iā€™m not aware of any known problems with GE pocket sockets, although there may be one.

Thereā€™s a known problem with GE wall switches (nothing to do with SmartThings) where as they age a relatively high percentage, maybe 15%, appear to have difficulty staying connected to the network. Just pulling the airgap doesnā€™t usually do it ā€“ ā€“ you have to cut power at the breaker to get them to restart. You can find discussion of this on pretty much every Z wave forum.

The problem generally doesnā€™t show up until about six months after the switches are out of their warranty. For that reason, they are not technically ā€œdefective,ā€ they just donā€™t endure.

Although obviously itā€™s extremely annoying, because these switches are so inexpensive relative to other brands, many people will just go ahead and replace the problem switch feeling that they have still saved significant money on the project overall.

I have no idea if the GE/Jasco zigbee switches have the same problem. Iā€™ve never seen it reported, but theyā€™re a much less popular device.

Since the Z wave switches from GE/Jasco do seem to work OK during the warranty, and since it happens regardless of the Z wave controller you have, this isnā€™t really SmartThingsā€™ issue to fix.

They could make the decision not to feature the GE switches in their own shop and switch to Cooper or Leviton, but they know their audience is mostly very budget-conscious so I donā€™t think Itā€™s unreasonable that they went with the less expensive brand.

Iā€™m still surprised you guys have been seeing actual failures with the GE Z-Wave switches. Outside of my Philips Hue devices, by far the most reliable are the GE Z-Wave switches (127xx series at least).

I started with 3 about a year ago and they havenā€™t failed once. I have 22 now and while some have had issues, itā€™s purely been a signal thing and completely a problem my end as I have the hub setup in the worst position relative to the switches that were having issues.

Once I added more switches in to help repeat the signal, the problems went away.

1 Like

Yours arenā€™t old enough yet for this particular problem. Report back in another year and let us know then. :sunglasses:

2 Likes