Zigbee/zwave door lock compatible with double cylinder/(key on both side)?

I agree, but why make it so easy?!

Thanks again.

1 Like

I replaced my side window with glass block. But using the security window barrier like @JDRoberts suggested is more secure and popular.

FYI: go ask your local police about break-in’s in your city and the most common way for the break in. In my city it is not through the front door. I was told the typical way was to ring the front door bell to see if anyone was home with the fake story why they were there if someone answered. The break in occurred at the back door where it was easier to conceal their activity from people and they just kick in the door, dead bolt or not. They would grab whatever high value items they wanted and simply opened the front door or garage door for exit in minutes before there was any chance of a response from authorities. I ended up installing steel security gates across both front and back doors with Schlage smart locks. My backdoors are french double doors which are the easiest to kick in.

3 Likes

Why break a window when a quick kick to most doors will cause them to blow right open.

There is also a film you can place over the window to make it nearly impossible to break out. Some are expensive but amazon has this for $40.

4 Likes

My previous house had a double cylinder deadbolt in the rear (kitchen) door which had glass panels and a standard single cylinder on the front door.

I replaced only the front door with a smart lock, since that was the least likely point of entry for a burglar. I figured if they were going to try anything they would come around the rear, which was hidden from street view.

I still put a camera and motion lights in the back though, but I never felt like it was a good idea to have a simple lock within reach of a glass panel.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate them all. I may replace the front with a standard single chamber z-wave lock and leave the back door alone (I.e., not automated).

Thanks again.

Any z-wave (or zigbee, I guess) glass break detectors tha people know work with ST? Thanks.

Nothing on the official compatibility list, but a number of community members are using the Z wave Utilitech Glassbreak sensor with the following community-created dth:

1 Like

Depending on you door, the Schlage Connect has a kick alarm that would probably sound if someone hit the glass hard enough to break.

I have glass by one of my doors, and I think the safety/convenience of having a single chambered smart lock outweighs the risk. If someone did break the window and unlock the door, opening it will still trigger the alarm (contact sensor).

3 Likes

Yeah that’s my line of thinking as well. In this house there are glass panels all around the front door, but if the door is opened it will trigger the alarm – which is monitored, with cellular backup, because I don’t trust ST with that yet :slight_smile:

I figured if anybody is willing to break glass and kick in doors they would most likely use one of the rear doors or try their luck at the windows, rather than try the front door. Either way all the portals are monitored and there are PIR sensors, so for now it doesn’t worry me too much.

2 Likes

You will be surprised by how many people enter through front door. It is less suspicious to walk up to the door and ring the bell, than walking around the house.

Most doors can be opened with a swift kick, Schlage locks come with larger screws drill into the frame of the door to make it more difficult.

2 Likes

I am in the same exact situation. My kitchen door has a big glass window. I am already using this on my solid wood front door:

What I am going to do is install that same exact lock on the kitchen door and remove the little turning knob, maybe even replace it with a flat metal plate.

I will then install a small zwave switch or panel on the wall next to the door so when you want to exit you just press the button, and when the door is closed it will automatically lock. This will likely meet my needs, and hopefully will help some of you too :slight_smile:

This will very likely be a violation of code in your jurisdiction. Almost all places in United States require that in a building where people sleep you be able to exit the door even when there is no power without needing an additional code, key, or device.

Your Z wave button will not meet such a code because it won’t work if your power is out.

I assume from your description that your concern is someone breaking the glass and reaching around to turn the turnbolt.

An easier way to secure this is to put a box over the lock with a flip latch on the side away from the window.

It is very unlikely that someone could reach through and flip that latch, but the lock remains completely usable when the power is out for someone who is already inside the building.

This also keeps your warranty on the lock intact because you have not altered it.

You can still add your button for convenience if you want to, you just need a no power exit option as well. :sunglasses:

I’m assuming you are referencing fire code.

Fire code differs from state to state and even sometimes region to region. Most areas require that there be at least 1 door egress for each floor on which people sleep. My front door meets this requirement for my home, and there is no code requiring anyone to have a back door thus not requiring such door to meet the “Tool less, special knowledge free” door unless its the only door in your home. Additionally I have plenty of windows which meet fire code as well. The rear of my house has the kitchen and my office so no sleeping quarters.

Removing the latch on the rear of that lock actually is as simple as it sliding right off, no real alteration required.

I’ll post more updates and maybe pictures once its all done.

More commonly it’s part of the residential code rather than the separate fire code, but this also varies by jurisdiction.

There are many jurisdictions which require only one egress door, but there are also jurisdictions which require that if there is more than one, each one need “no special knowledge” to exit. In other words, knowing that in a fire you have to go out the front door rather than the kitchen door becomes “special knowledge” in itself.

But there are variations in both code and interpretations, so it’s best to just check with your own local jurisdiction. And it’s also reasonable to consider, code aside, whether a guest would be able to get out of the house if
the power is out. If someone’s in the kitchen and the door is there, it’s natural for them to go to that door.

I myself am quadriparetic (use a wheelchair and have limited hand function), so fire safety is a big issue for me. So I’m sure I give more weight to these kind of issues than many other people would. :sunglasses:

Zwave locks work on batteries so power being out is not a issue. Plus my modem, router, and ST is plugged into a UPS.

This thread covers a lot of different suggestions, which is good, but can make it complex to follow individual discussions. In post 23, one community member is considering removing the turn bolt from a lock and adding a second device in the room, a button which has to be pushed to unlock the door from the inside. The power outage discussions are in response to that suggestion. The point isn’t whether the method will still work to unlock the door. The question is whether in a fire if someone visiting the home would know how to get out of the house through that door.

got it. personally go thru or throw something thru a window. Its can be faster then finding a door. Doors are not always the best way.

Would if I could. :wink: (I’m in a wheelchair. Fire safety is a big issue at our house, so I tend to be oversensitive on those issues.)

oh yeah definitely. in your situation need to have a door.

1 Like

Old thread but a good one. I have been looking hard for a Zwave deadlatching lock that once opened will automatically open sister locks. By that someone breaks in they can not exit via the doors without physically breaking out.

I find deadlatching locks annoying as you might unlock the front but then crash into to backdoor when rescuing the washing from the rain and forced to play find the key.

Lockwood with the mention 001 Touch lock almost get it right but are not Zwave enabled. The Nexion goes close but still not Zwave enabled. Either of the locks Zwave enabled would be great.

Australian Standards allow locks to be deadlatching providing they are not when inside the house. The Locklocks when unlocked from the outside go out of deadlatching mode.

I contacted Lockwood and they through the Yale version do a Zwave keypad but have not integrated this into the 001 or Nexion. Plan to but Australian market bit small to drive them to do this.

Both locks can be fitted with high security cylinders as well to overcome bumping and jiggling.

Almost there but still short of what is needed.