I am looking to have 2 bedside lamps (yet to be purchased) connected to SmartThings. One on each side of the bed. Been a while since I did anything other than replace an existing setup that died or just replicate a setup to a new room so wanted to see if any fresh ideas. Below are the important things I have thought of so far. Any suggestions?
- I’m in the United States
- Cost is a factor. . . .I am definitely frugal
- I would prefer a plug in solution for quick/easy, but I have installed many in wall switches, so assume I could handle installing outlets as well in case in wall offers something worth while.
- I want to be able to dim the lights.
- Ideally would be able to control by voice and by the lamp. I have some old CentraLite switches (4257050-ZHACE) that will turn on if the switch on the lamp is turned on even if the outlet is currently off. I can’t control dimming manually, but that is ok as I suspect we won’t change dimming that often at all much less manually. Does anyone know what this feature is called? I tried to find newer switches that have this but have no idea how to search for it. As a path of least resistance I could just get more like those, but CentraLite seems to have been sold and they no longer make those original outlets.
- I am looking to use Zigbee given the long term life of Z-wave seems a little up in the air. Willing to use Z-wave as I already have lots of those devices, but would rather stay away from Wi-Fi.
- I use Google for voice control
- There is an outlet on each side of the bed. I would like not to block the second plug for each outlet.
- We already installed a Z-wave in wall dimmer switch for an overhead light, just not good for evening reading. Not sure if I will want to link the 3 of them together or not, but I would do that via ST automation or more likely webcore so not really a factor.