Z-Wave Smart Energy Meter - 9.99....Really?

Just installed mine:

Lots and lots of room in my box, so installation was very easy. I just opened a knockout on the side and put a cable clamp in and that was that.

When I have pretty much every light and such turned off, TV off, not running the dryer and the water heater is not heating, it looks like my house uses about 300 watts. When the water heater kicks on, add 5,000! Clothing dryer, wow!

Right now my electric company will pay $750 towards the cost of a heat pump based water heater, and they only cost about $1,000 so I may do that.

Is there a way to export the readings to an external system so it can be logged? I realize a Smart App could do it but I’m wondering if there is already one, or if there is an easier way?

This is what I use.

1 Like

That works nicely thank you!

I’ve been logging for a few days.

Is it safe to open the breaker box? Is there a way to stop the power to it before that?

Second question first. The only way to completely cut the power to your breaker box is to remove the electric meter that’s outside your home. You’re not supposed to do that and typically they have a seal, so the utility company will know if it’s cut.

First question, yes but only if you know what you’re doing. The front cover is usually held on by 4 or 6 screws and once they are removed the front cover lifts off. If you’re careful you can absolutely do this, assuming you have a somewhat ordinary circuit box. If you like, post pics of what you have. However, if you’re at all uncomfortable then get a friend who knows what he or she is doing to help.

2 Likes

Yes if you know what you can/can’t touch. If you aren’t sure, please don’t do it!

You can shut off the master breaker if there is one, then ONLY the biggest black/white cables coming into the panel will be live. Those of course are the ones you need to connect to, so due diligence is mandatory here…

Those heat pump based water heaters are nice I’ve had mine for 7 years I think it is now. It’s the 1st gen GE one, had 1 little issue with it but GE sent someone out to fix it. I like it so much when we moved 3 years ago I uninstalled it and brought it with us. Saves us tons of money.

If you have to ask - I’d say no :slight_smile: I know full well what’s what and have no issues, but advise the same as others, nope, unless you know what you are doing.

One possibility - some places require an external main shutoff, outside usually as part of the meter box or close.

I wish I had added one when I replaced the meter box 12 years ago …

1 Like

@johnconstantelo does your device handler work with the 3.64 firmware? My HEM v1 came with version 3.60 and I upgraded to the latest posted on the Aeotec site, which was 3.64:

Well that drove it to report some crazy kWh numbers and not refresh the power numbers. I ended up having to exclude and repair the HEM entirely and then it still didn’t work. I found this thread:

Strangely, while I was working on the issue, the HEM, still with the 3.64 firmware magically started to work correctly, or so it appears. Any idea what’s up with that?

Not wanting to derail this thread much (I brought two Aeon meters!) but I was just about to purchase the GE Geospring 50 gallon water heater that has this heat exchanger on it and I was looking for some experiences, there are some seriously negative reviews on the Lowes site…

I was thinking the same thing! Apparently it, or an older version, leaks. I think I read somewhere that they fixed it though.

Sure does! I’m using the same version as you.

Nice, thanks!

1 Like

@johnconstantelo one more question, maybe you know the answer. If I set the DH to log the power every 60 seconds, do I get the average over that past 60 seconds or a real time sample at that instant when the value is logged?

It’s the value at that instant.

Anyone notice any reporting errors? I have on that shows lower than 90watt unless I kill the breaker and i KNOW it’s not pulling more than a watt or so when not running.

SO I have no choice but to use batteries and my box is outside and there is no plug to go into. So I have to wait to get an update. To be honest not even sure that I can see the device after I put the cover on it. Is there anyway to see if my system can still see my device or do I have to wait to see if it ever reports. I also have a weird configuration in my box. I have 600 amp service at least that what the cables say. I have to main feeds coming into a 150 amp breaker and another feed coming into the main circuit box without the breaker.