Z-Wave or Zigbee Smart Switch that doesn't require neutral

(Carlos) #1

I’m having trouble finding a Z-Wave or ZigBee smart switch that doesn’t require a neutral. I have a smartthings hub in the living room with my router and the smart switch would be for the bathroom. Unfortunately, there are two concrete walls between the bathroom and router, so a wifi enabled switch (Leviton) are out of the question. Any suggestions? I saw that GE made a z-wave switch (GE 45606) that didn’t require a neutral, but they stopped making them and I haven’t been able to find anywhere that sells them. Price isn’t really an issue, just want to get the last dumb light switch out of my house!

(sidjohn1) #2

If price isn’t an issue, why not call an electrician and have them pull a neutral line for you?

(jkp) #3

You can also use GE’s Z-Wave 14299 Dimmer (incandescent only), or Leviton’s ZigBee ZSS10-G0Z switch.

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/index~text~LEVITON-ZSS10-G0Z-LUMINA-RF-WALL-STN.NN~path~product~part~6002976

(jkp) #6

Where do you see “no neutral required” for the zooz switches?

First things first: Have you tested other smartthings devices like a plug-in pocket socket or a battery powered sensor in that room to make sure that you will get signal? Zigbee and zwave are both radiofrequency protocols, just like Wi-Fi, and are blocked by the same materials. In fact, Wi-Fi is a more powerful signal so generally does better. Are there going to be fewer concrete walls between the switch and the smartthings hub than between the room and your Wi-Fi router?