Z-Wave Network Security Level, discrepancies in network devices

Hello,

So that last time I was online here, I was trying to work out replacing a new lock.

Apparently, it was a newer version of the old one. But for some reason, I found something on Samsung’s IDE device page I haven’t seen previously:

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 22.09.20

And other devices, or should I say most other devices, are like this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 22.10.35

These devices mostly apply to Aerotec and Monoprice extenders. But then, I find that with my new lock, I don’t need these extenders. Which makes things even more ineteresting.

hbs

Sorry, were you asking a question? :thinking:

SmartThings V2 and V3 hub now support all 4 of the available Z wave security levels, so it’s quite common to see different devices having joined at different security levels because it depends on both the type of device and how old it is.

The level being shown indicates, among other things, the type of encryption key being used, which is why locks have a special definition of “access control.“ That group has an additional level of security that a typical light switch wouldn’t have.

There’s no problem in having a mix of levels in one network, in fact zwave assumes that there probably will be. They will all work together fine with the exception of zwave direct association, which can only be set up between two devices of the same security level.

You can find lots of discussion in the forum about the various security levels, but normally it’s not anything you have to worry about, again unless you were setting up direct association.

Yeah, I guess I didn’t know what my question was either.

How about: If zwave are basically mesh network, would one device that is NOT zwave_s2 secure, be a “WEAK LINK”?

And, I think my second question was whether I really needed the extenders at this point for the door lock.

1. Not really, for most people. It all comes down to how much security does a light switch in a typical residential home need? :thinking:

Someone would have to be specifically targeting you, be physically close to your house, be technically savvy…and even then, hacking your less secure light switch wouldn’t get them control of your S2 door lock. So what would be their goal?

If you want to replace every device with one that supports S2 you can, but it’s overkill for most people.

There are multiple existing topics in the forum on home automation security if you’re interested.

But securing your WiFi router is way more important in terms of personal security than worrying about an S0 legacy level zwave light switch. Just sayin’… :wink:

1. As far as the repeaters, there’s no way to know from what you’ve posted. We would need more details.
1 Like