SmartThings Community

Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades

(Jason) #2

How are they powered?

1 Like
(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #3

Two ways to power them:

1. Battery powered, usually lasts 6 - 12 months depending on use. Batteries are replaceable, and you can purchase them with lithium ion batteries from us.
  2. Using a regular power outlet. Technically they can work as a repeater, however, it seems to be disabled and we’re working on enabling it (not sure when, though)
(Jason) #4

What kind of battery? Rechargeable?

120v ?

(Jason) #5

Also the evenpleat that can go top down or bottom up, are both controllable?

(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #6

The batteries we include are not rechargeable. You can purchase your own and use them (uses 8AA batteries). We sell the shades without batteries as well (you can choose it when customizing).

Yes a 120v outlet. Its plug and play, and once again its an option you can choose.

Top Down Bottom Up is currently not available. Only normal bottom up is currently available. TDBU brings in a few complications.

(Jason) #7

Is this with the “single battery case” or the “dual battery case” ?

Could you still hardwire the battery models by ordering the transformer later? could 12v or 24v be used if it’s already near the device?

Sorry for barraging you with questions :slight_smile:

(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #8

No worries.

6-12 months will last on a single battery case for smaller shades; the larger shades would require the dual battery case for 6 - 12 months. Our system should disable the single battery case past recommended sizes. You can order the transformer later and plug it in. It’s once again completely plug and play, you simply unplug the battery case and plug in the transformer. I believe the transformer is a 12v unit since the motor is 12v as well.

(Eric) #9

I want to order right now!

(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #10

You can! :grin:once again these are made to order so manufacturing will take 3 - 7 days and it ships through Fedex.

1 Like

Very nice! I appreciate your straightforward description and acknowledgement of your commercial interest. I personally don’t have any problem with manufacturers and dealers presenting their products in a straightforward manner. To my mind that’s much better than people who try to sneak around and say they are just customers.

BTW, I didn’t see a mention of this on your website, but if someone is using this with SmartThings, they should also be able to use it with echo for voice control since it does appear as a dimmer. They could just say “Alexa, set bedroom shades to 50%” or whatever and it should work. :sunglasses:

6 Likes
(Eric) #12

I’ll look to see what deal you are offering for us ST folks, as I was about to goto Lowes and get Somfy stuff. :slight_smile:

(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #13

It would work really well. I am using Alexa through an app called Roger and it’s working well. Will have a video of it up soon, as well as one showing the inclusion and exclusion mode.

One more note, the included remote runs on Z-wave as well, more details to follow soon.

(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #14

Will have a new post up soon in the deals section and will put a link in the original post.

1 Like
(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #15

You can find the coupons here: Graber Virtual Cord Shades: Z-Wave+ (Coupons)

One thing I can tell you right now is Lowes or any of the big chains won’t be able to beat our prices (Based on customer feedback over the past 7 years). Also if they do, just send me the quote and I will see what I can do.

(Marc) #16

FWIW, I use Alexa through Smartthings for my Somfy motorized blinds and it works excellent. “Alexa, open the blinds”, “Alexa, close the blinds” and “Alexa, turn on tilt blinds” all work great. It’s my favorite integration to date.

2 Likes
(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #17

I just realized I forgot to add. The motorized components are manufactured by Somfy, but the system is designed by Graber and won’t be available with other manufacturers for a while as far as I am aware. Thought I should mention this since you mentioned going to lowes specifically for Somfy stuff.

Any love for EU frequency?

(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #19

As of now, no. Sorry about that. Currently, our target market is North America and we simply aren’t large enough to distribute outside of the NA and provide the same level of service.

(Neal (www.zebrablinds.com / www.zebrablinds.ca)) #20

Updated in original post as well but here is the video how-to for adding the shade to SmartThings:

3 Likes
(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #21

@ZebraBlinds Thanks a lot for your videos and all the information. One last thing…It will be great if you can also provide some pictures/video of the blind installation ?

2 Likes