Xiaomi yi WiFi camera

After spending hours of reading this forum (also Chinese, German and others - thanks to google translate), i finally got it sorted. I downgraded the firmware to K (many in Chinese forum said K has better streaming quality then L firmware). Many thanks to Nevat’s post above :smile: and also to all of you.

Learnt my lesson here; not to upgrade leisurely.

2 Likes

Will the memory card be overwritten once Yi Ant have it full? Or do we need to manually delete the video stored?

It will overwritten the old video with the old H firmware. Not sure about K version but I can’t see it changed.

Thanks. I hope it does.

I have the Chinese version of the Camera and by using the Russians hack I can confirm RTSP does work. From a process of trail an error it seems that you can not install the English firmware on the Chinese version or vice versa. Depending on the version of the camera, you must choose the correct App (I can only speak from Android experience here).

You either need the English App for Android from the Play Store or the Chinese App from Xiaomi. Each app only works with the equivalent camera.

I had hoped that I would be able to stream this into ST, alongside my Foxcom cameras, thus how I fell upon this thread.

Is a re-coding of the stream the only option?

As an aside, whilst I’ve configured a static IP, this camera AFAIK is now availble to stream due to no security around the RTSP feed. Does anyone know how to wrap security around the stream?

O i take it no one willing to get these working in ST directly

Most likely no. Getting this camera online is hard enough. Nevermind about direct integration. I have 4 of these and a couple of Foscam now. No problem with blue iris and ST.

Thanks! I got it working on blue Iris but how can i link blue iris to ST?

Hi all.

These cameras were on sale on prime day for ~$30/ea, and came with a 32GB SD card. It is the US version. The latest firmware is now 1.8.6.1B_201604071151. Has anyone had any luck integrating this into smart things (for example, what I would like to do is sync this up with the security “away” feature, so that the camera can detect motion only when I am away from the home. When I’m at home, I don’t need it to be capturing video/images every time it sees me walk past).

Would love to figure out a way to make that happen!

Thanks.

The latest firmware does not let you access the stream. You can put on an altered firmware that will enable the feature but you lose the functionality of the app and also it speaks to you in Chinese. Here is the link if you’re interested:

Unfortunately I have not seen anything on ST integration.

3 Likes

After further use, this camera is pretty garbage unless it’s in the same room as your router, I couldn’t get it to work at all even one small room over. Oh well! Still on the hunt for the solid smartthings capable camera that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

I have one 60 feet away in my garage and working fine. One thing for sure is that it doesn’t like WiFi repeater or bridge.

I gambled on a bunch of these cameras on Black Friday and I must say I’m feeling pretty positive right now. I used the custom firmware listed above (https://github.com/fritz-smh/yi-hack). I never tried to setup the cameras the way the manufacture intends.

Considering the cost these cameras are amazing. Good picture quality, solid night time performance.
They integrate well with my HIKVision NVR, and they work with SmartThings if you add them using pstuart’s Generic Video Camera SmartApp/DeviceType.

Incidentally I can also add my HIKVision NVR streams to SmartThings using the same Generic Video Camera device type.

2 Likes

I have tried a bunch of times to get this to work but can never get the hack to work. Are your cameras the US version?

Yes they are US version - but I thought with the hacked firmware it doesn’t matter.

I installed (and published) the two SmartApps here:

I added my hacked Yi Home RTSP url in the smartapp
rtsp://192.168.1.XX:554/ch0_0.h264

I left the name as path option empty.

I tried this with two different colored Yi Home’s and they both worked.

EDIT: Maybe I got ahead of myself. While the cameras show in SmartThings, say “active”, I can click on them and view their streams within SmartThings - I just set them to record on motion and triggered an Alarm. In the incident SmartThings shows that the cameras were unavailable (to record from).

3 Likes

The hack firmware does matter depending on which model you get. So change it accordingly in order for the camera to work.

So using Fritz’s hack, do I need to do something differently if I have the US versions? Anytime I copy all of the files to the SD card with the wpa_supplicant and yi-hack files updated, the camera never actually loads. It almost acts like nothing is happening.

Here is a link for the firmwares and procedure to reset and load the firmware.
http://xiaoyi.querex.be/firmwares/

1 Like

Awesome Ray, thanks. I was able to use that firmware to enable rstp. Do you if/how I can incorporate Fritz’s hack into the ones you listed? If possible I would like to keep the video local.

ST does not support rstp so you will need a 3rd party software for conversion. I am using blue Iris for dvr and mjpeg output. Seriously. I can’t remember the last time I opened ST for video or picture. When I get a notification from ST. I just open my android phone ip cam viewer and it’s probably 10 faster than the St app bit of course choices is always good.