Xiaomi Aqara Leak Sensors Becoming 'Unavailable'

I have the ST hub v3. I purchased 13 Xiaomi Aqara leak sensors no too long ago. I managed to get them connected. They all worked at first but a couple days in I started noticing that they started showing up in the ST app (Classic) as “unavailable”. They were not connected anymore and would not reconnect automatically. I started manually reconnecting the devices. But after some weeks of this, I realize this is unsustainable and not useable. I used a popular device handler that was published to this forum. Before I call the purchase of these sensors a total waste of money, does anyone know of anythign I can try to make these devices stay connected, or reconnect automatically? Also note that even sensors close to the hub become unavailable.
Appreciate it.

supposedly Ikea bulbs work as repeaters for them. But from my experience, they are just flaky and not worth the trouble. I used to have 3. They would be fine for weeks, and then randomly one would disconnect. Got tired of retrieving them from behind the fridge, under the dishwasher, etc. and sold them.

They’re working well in my environment (no smart bulbs may be part of the success). I’m showing one offline but that’s because the guys who replaced my AC appear to have carried it off with the old drip pan while I wasn’t home :cry:.

@zudz if you decide it’s not working out I’m happy to buy a few of them from you at a reasonable price, and if you post in the trade thread or the xiaomi thread I’m sure you’d be able to find takers for the rest. Then it’d only be a partial waste of money… :wink:

It ma not be easy to find it among the mountains of information on the SmartThings Community Forum here, but it’s well-established that all Xiaomi ZigBee devices do not “check in” with the hub as often as other ZigBee devices, and unfortunately don’t conform to the ZigBee standard of rejoining a hub’s network when the hub sends a rejoin request.

With the v2 hub, for a while Xiaomi devices would be dropped off the network due to the long check in interval and then wouldn’t rejoin. That got “fixed” inadvertently over a year ago, and since then Xiaomi devices have worked for some, but not all users - as long as they don’t get dropped from the network for other reasons.

Other reason for them getting dropped off the network include weak mesh network strength, and more importantly when the Xiaomi sensor is connected via a router-capable ZigBee device rather than directly to the hub. Most non-bulb mains-powered Zigbee devices can act as routers to extend a ZigBee mesh network, but very few of them allow for Xiaomi devices’ long check in interval, so again, their network connection gets dropped.

Outside of the v2 hub, the SmartThings Link for NVIDIA Shield TV and the Home Connect hub do not allow Xiaomi devices to remain connected due to the long check-in interval.

So it’s entirely possible that the v3 hub also doesn’t “play well” with Xiaomi devices.

Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated. A friend of mine said to leave the sensors next to the hub for a couple days. Then move them.

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Ok thanks for your reply. That is good to know. I am currently testing something but if things don’t work out, I’ll let you know.

@Zudz - Hi, I cannot pair the same sensors to my smartthings hub v3, I’ve read the other topic and I have the same symptoms. Since it seems you were able to do it, can you give me some guidelines?

Thanks

First, you need to use the ST Classic app. Second, you add a thing manually. Then this part is unpredictable and a PIA. Hold down the button the the sensor until it blinks (maybe 30 seconds???give or take). Then I would push the sensor button randomly. To be honest, I did not have a hard rule to get it to work. After this the sensor would randomly show up in the ST app. But they all did eventually pair.

Thanks, I missed this “long hold” part earlier. It took some 10 minutes and several tries, but it paired!

Hello Mark, I have a bunch of these Xiaomi water sensors.
Would you like to purchase them?