[WITHDRAWN] MyQ LiftMaster/Chamberlain

I agree that tilt sensors are currently the best solution. But this doesn’t mean that it will remain that way. I know that on the MyQ app if there is obstruction between the sensors I get an error on the app and a correct state of the garage after the obstruction (door still open). I think it’s possible that Chamberlian and ST can use the safety sensor as an alarm trigger in their official SmartApp. Only time will tell. I don’t want to be stuck with tilt sensors that I don’t need in the future.

I’ll look into this, not sure why nobody mentioned this if it is a third of the price.

Tilt Sensors are still important. There are plenty of garage break ins through force entry or by sending in a hanger to release the pull rope. The Garage Door opener is unaware. Its an easy test, pull the release rope open and open the garage door. Does the app reflect the door status?

Even the myQ wireless gateway comes with a tilt sensor. https://www.liftmaster.com/For-Homes/Accessories/MyQ-Accessories/model-821LM

How do you make the tilt sensor with the ball tilt switch

There is a terminal block under the cover of some d/w switches. You simply hook it up there. I can post some pics later if your interested

I am interested. I ordered the ball tilt switch and went and bought the door sensors from HD last night. Thank you

Now that the parts came in it is pretty easy to figure out. I have it working.

Are my D/W sensors defective? It looks like they soldered switch 2 backwards. Or am I doing something wrong?

All the go controls face this way. You can drill a hole (theres a thinner area to do so)though the case. OR you can add leads to the tilt that go up and around the terminal block to keep it all contained. Whichever floats your boat :wink:

You can adjust the tilt sensor easier if you drill a hole.

Not drilling any holes floats my boat, pun intended

Does having the tilt switch in a normally closed position drain the battery quicker?

No, should only report (transmit) on state changes.

Welp, I’m selling my Chamberlain MyQ system and going with the GD-00Z-4. I was actually fine keeping SmartThings and my “smart” garage door opener in separate systems. I owned the Chamberlain MyQ before I invested in SmartThings and when it works, the Chamberlain app suits my needs. I just use the MyQ app to send me a push notification if the door opens, or if it stays open etc…

Here’s the problem, last week I was out of town and we have a cat. Well it’s hot here so during the morning and night each day so we remotely open our garage so our cat and go in and out, etc. Well we opened the garage door no problem, but after several attempts to close the door, we got the dreaded “! - Close Error: Garage cannot be controlled because of too many failed attempts. Please operate door locally, by manually pushing the button to resume remote operations” or something to that effect. That has happened to us only a few times in a couple years but between my wife and I, we’ve always been close enough to just push the button locally and carry on. This time we were out of town, we couldn’t close the door with MyQ app, online through their web dashboard, remotely through Alexa, or via SmartThings integration (using this Device Type). I had to call our neighbor who went over to our house to put the garage down.

I’ve decided this, coupled with the cloud-to-cloud limitations of SmartThings integration with Chamberlain, and more, makes me want to get a hard wired, locally operated (z-wave) device.

Have others ditched the MyQ device in favor of the GD-00Z-4 officially supported by SmartThings controller?

So are you buying new garage door openers? I am returning to brand new GD-00Z-4 because they are not compatible with my myQ openers.

I’m not 100% sure what you mean but my actual garage door motor is a Chamberlain Liftmaster 3/4 HP. I’m still using the same openers I used before I bought the Chamberlain MyQ system. I have my two openers that came with the unit, a keypad outside, the master button near my door, two cars that were added as additional buttons, and the chamberlain myQ, which I believe I added the same way as my cars… just by “learning” a new controller button.

Edit:
I have a LiftMaster Elite but your post made me search to make sure it was compatible. People are saying that if your master button controller has the time and temperature, that the GD00Z won’t work with that style of opener and you need to get just a generic push button controller?

I tried that GoControl box and it was terrible. Sent it back.

I wish I could, but my MyQ doors are explicitly not compatible, and I’m not interested in doing a bunch of soldering to hack it. Really wish I would have known this 2 years ago when we built the house, and I would have had the builder put in different doors.

1 Like

I’ve switched to the MyQ Lite that was posted already. I had a tilt sensor, and even if you don’t the Monoprice one works fine and is cheap. So far it works great.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-myq-lite-for-liftmaster-chamberlain?source_topic_id=8939

What the heck.

I set up a Chamberlain/MyQ setup some months ago, got it working on ST, and then began using Alexa mostly to open the door as I walk out of the house. Worked fine for months.

Then I saw a thread in here indicating ST was no longer supported and so I expected it would stop working. It didn’t. :shrug: Every time out of the house “Alexa, open the garage door” would work like a charm.

Until a few days ago. For no apparent reason Alexa no longer understands “Open the garage door.” But the odd thing is, if I say “turn on the garage door,” it still works.

Wth?

1 Like

What stopped working was really the polling of door status. Commands still go through. And polling works for some of us :wink: like me :wink: (I use a Raspberry Pi3 for that to work)