Wireless Wall Switch (ZME_WALLC-S) to control Smartthings devices and routines

Glad to hear that you’re using the newer model - I find that they are pretty responsive. Don’t forget to find nicer back plates and switches than the ones that come with (if you care about those kind of things)

I’m happy to have a go at the other switch - but only if there are others who are affected by this - otherwise it would be a load of work for nothing seeing as you are happy with the Popp solution.

Can you please share some details related with your setup here?
What are the exact components you are using and what are their specifications?
Also which wireless interface it uses for the control?

pcb fabrication

My setup just includes multiple Wall controllers (these to be exact) but the device type and smartapp that I have made will work with a few different variations of this. I have also some glass and chrome faceplates and buttons which are compatible with this controller. The wireless interface is Z Wave

Has anyone had any luck in connecting the duwi z-wave.me 05443?
WEll it connects, but I can’t do anything with it. I’d like to set it up to turn off all the lights downstairs…

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Unfortunately I don’t have that device.

If I were in your position I’d include it with ST, and then in the device handler get it to output whatever it receives to the logs so we can see what happens on button presses, holds, double clicks etc you’ll need to know that as the starting point.

Do you have the instructions for it? It will probably need some configuration as well, and all the configuration settings will be explained in the manual.

Hi Adam,

I’ll try that. The included manual is quite bad and so far I haven’t been able to find a more comprehensive one.

It would be quite cool to have these switches working as they fit on the wall like it’s supposed to be there :slight_smile:

Hi, i also bought some of these Wall Switches. The Type 1 to be exact : Z-Wave-WallC-S.
They work really well, and report all 4 buttons individually and even do hold and release events :slight_smile:

However, i have some issues not realted to the connection to smartthings at all… maybe somebody of you already had the same problem. The Wall controler also needs the Frame and Paddles. In the Manual it lists some different kind of manufacturers and series its compatible with. One of them is the Reflex SI from Busch & Jäger. The Frame fits perfectly, but the double paddle i bought (2505-214) does not fit at all.

Anybody knows which paddles are compatible?
I never thought that there are thousands of options to simple wall switches…

Go to schalterversand.de and buttons that are compatible with “radio transmitters” will work.

I’m currently abroad so wont be fast at responding if you run into trouble - if you can wait until 7th July I’ll be happy to help you find compatible buttons - they are tricky to find but well worth it when you do!

1 Like

Great tip! Thx… however, i dont seem to find just the paddles available there… There are some complete solutions, from Kopp (HK05; Paris), but i’d like to use at least some of the Busch & Jäger components i already have (the frame) if at all possible…

Am I right to assume you are using the smartthings UK hub in Germany as well?

Duncan
I am having a similar issue to these guys but with a configure command on a Cooper Aspire scene controller. Here are the logs I’m getting:

3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:58 PM: debug Cooper Scene Cont: null
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:58 PM: warn Exception ‘java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: toIndex = 9’ encountered parsing 'cmd: 7006, payload: 05 FF E0’
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:58 PM: debug Parsing Cooper Scene Cont: zw device: 1A, command: 7006, payload: 05 FF E0
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:57 PM: debug Cooper Scene Cont: null
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:57 PM: warn Exception ‘java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: toIndex = 9’ encountered parsing 'cmd: 7006, payload: 04 FF E0’
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:57 PM: debug Parsing Cooper Scene Cont: zw device: 1A, command: 7006, payload: 04 FF E0
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:56 PM: debug Cooper Scene Cont: null
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:56 PM: warn Exception ‘java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: toIndex = 9’ encountered parsing 'cmd: 7006, payload: 03 FF E0’
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:56 PM: debug Parsing Cooper Scene Cont: zw device: 1A, command: 7006, payload: 03 FF E0
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:55 PM: debug Cooper Scene Cont: null
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:55 PM: warn Exception ‘java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: toIndex = 9’ encountered parsing 'cmd: 7006, payload: 02 FF E0’
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:55 PM: debug Parsing Cooper Scene Cont: zw device: 1A, command: 7006, payload: 02 FF E0
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:54 PM: debug Cooper Scene Cont: null
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:54 PM: warn Exception ‘java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: toIndex = 9’ encountered parsing 'cmd: 7006, payload: 01 FF 0F’
3a070224-d2eb-4030-9f71-dc2eff4af506 9:54:54 PM: debug Parsing Cooper Scene Cont: zw device: 1A, command: 7006, payload: 01 FF 0F

The commands being sent are:
delayBetween([
zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber:1).format(),
zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber:2).format(),
zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber:3).format(),
zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber:4).format(),
zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber:5).format()
],1000)

I’m wondering if you have any ideas for how to get this working.

Thanks Scott

Those ConfigurationReport (7006) commands are invalid. The second byte of the payload is not allowed to be ‘FF’. Are you sure the device supports those parameters?

Attached is technical info from Cooper. last page discusses the scene
controller and setting it up. The configuration value section do not quite
make sense to me. However, I believe it is speaking of parameters 1-5.

Here is a link. I see the attachment to my email did not make it.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/wiringdevices/products/documents/technical_specifications/advancedtechinfo_V2.pdf

I don’t get this verbiage from the a technical info document.
“Repeat sending association/configuration sets as required for nodes of different level values. The first
Association_Set command is for all devices with some given level. The second Association_Set command is for all
devices with another level. The third Association_Set command is for all devices with yet another level. And so on. There
will be as many Association/Configuration pairs as there are different levels in the scene.”

If I keep sending the configuration set command (which I have not been able to do) will it not just overwrite the previously sent command. I think it means to send an additional byte with each command. Maybe it needs to be a list.

I’ve sent an inquiry to Cooper for some help but doubt it will result in anything.

I had previously set the scene controller up with a trial version of Homeseer. It worked well and I could see scene commands going out as well as basic commands all in Smartthings. In my effort to get SmartThings to set it up I seem to have mucked it up. I now see basic commands but no scene commands (lights don’t actually come on anymore either).

I’m guessing there is something more going on in the configuration than I understand.

The indicator class works well to verify which button is on. The difficulty is that out of the box the device will not work. It must have some scenes set up and configured before it will send any commands out.

It’s telling you that if you have a scene where different devices are going to be set to different dim levels, you have to send one association set command for each of your dim levels to set up the association appropriately.

So say the room has four lights in it. And we’ll just say that they’re numbered with device IDs 21, 22, 23, 24.

You want devices 21 and 22 to come onto 25%.

You want Devices 23 and 24 to come on to 50%.

All in the same scene.

The manual is telling you to send one association set command for level “19” (“25” decimal converted to hex) to Devices 21 and 22.

And the second association set command for level “32” (“50” decimal converted to hex) to devices 23 and 24.

But you’re going to put them all in the same Association group.

That way, when you hit the switch, devices 21 and 22 will come on at 25% and devices 23 and 24 will come on at 50% all in the same scene.

(The numbers in the command set are different because they’re in hex. You can tell that because instead of the dim range being 1-99, it’s 1-63. “63” hex =“99” decimal. Also, the “FF” gives it away. :wink:)

But if in your association group scene all the devices come on to the same level, you can do it all with just one association level set command.

Did that help?

Sorry may be I was not clear. I’m not confused about the associations. I’m trying to figure out how the configuration set command is used. It looks like it is telling us to write to the same parameter (1-5 depending on the button) multiple times (once for each batch of devices using a level). Since the configuration command takes 1,2 or 4 bytes for the parameter data (the numbers specified would one byte), it sounds like the data would be overwritten on subsequent configurationset commands to that parameter.

Here is the other bugga-boo. When I ST receives a configuration.report from the cooper scene controller the size is FF which causes ST to error. I’m wondering if the Cooper scene controller is using a non-compliant configuration that stores a list or something.

It could be that the Cooper scene controller is tucking the data on each send away internally some how.

Tonight I’m going to try to remove, factory reset and reinstall the device to see if changes behavior.

If I can’t get it to send a legitimate configurationReport, does anyone have any ideas on how to bypass the parsing on ST and look directly at the data?

You asked about this:

You are sending the Association set command with a different set of target devices each time. So it’s not overwriting.

In the example above devices 21 and 22 are being associated to the master so that a basic command from the master has them turn on at a 25% dim level.

Device is 23 and 24 are using a 50% dim level.

All in the same Association group.

This would create two different “command records” for that particular Association group. The Z wave specification allows for individual records of this type, which is why it’s not an overwrite situation.

The Command Class allows a device to support a number of command records. A command record consists of the grouping identifier, the Node ID and the command. The size of the command MAY be restricted by the device through the Max command length field. The command MUST be the complete command needed (I.e. All relevant encapsulations MUST be included in the command).

You can’t send it in a list – – you have to use the standard Command set format.

A lot of this has to do with command class mapping.

Command class to which the Basic Command Class is mapped

But we are getting way off topic for this thread which deals with a specific device which is not the Cooper device.

I suggest you set up your own thread about Cooper configuration, and hopefully people can help you there.

Also, I wonder if it might be easier for you if you use the Z wave tweaker DTH. That way you don’t have to write your own code to create the associations. It might be worth looking at, anyway.

I’m sure all of this feels very frustrating. Smartthings is a multiprotocol platform, and for that reason they don’t really have support for the Z wave commandsets that can only be used with other Z wave devices, particularly for the scene controllers that send commands directly to end devices without communicating them to the SmartThings hub. That includes any scene controllers that don’t support association.

It can be done with the scene controllers that do support Association, but it’s not done using the scene commandsets. Or it can be done with central scene commandsets. But the point is as long as the controller device send the request to the hub the smartthings cloud can then format the appropriate commands for any supported protocol, whether it’s Z wave, zigbee, cloud to cloud, or whatever.

So there’s no question that it’s way easier to set up Z wave scene commands with a Z wave only controller. Those devices just don’t tend to be the best match to a SmartThings installation.

I wish I had a simple answer for you, but again, we should take this to a different thread.