Window Air Conditioners?

I’m looking to get a couple of window air conditioners for our new apartment in the coming months. I had originally planning on picking up a couple of Frigidaire Gallery units, but I just read a review that says they do not integrate with SmartThings.

Are there any decent window units out there that do have SmartThings integration?

I use an Sensibo with an Frigidaire window a/c and it works with smart things and does a good job.

2 Likes

GE has a line of Wi-Fi window air conditioners that have a good IFTTT channel. The smallest one is hard to find, but the other two are pretty widely available, including at Home Depot:

http://www.geappliances.com/ge/connected-appliances/air-conditioners.htm

1 Like

The Sensibo and the Tado are WiFi devices that can be used to control a number of different air conditioners with IR remotes.

There’s a community created integration with Tado as well:

You can also use Logitech Harmony can to control some air conditioners, but the integration isn’t as good as the Sensibo and the Tado in most cases. For example, the harmony integration may not give you a way of changing modes on the air conditioner.

There is also a Z wave device from remotes which ends up looking like a thermostat to smartthings but again is specifically designed as an add on for air-conditioners that have an IR remote.

So there are several options if you’re looking for an add on device. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thread for the sensibo integration with ST. Works fine for me most of the time.

If you look into the zxt-120, make sure your a/c manufacturer is in their remote code list (and even then no guarantee it’ll work, unfortunately).

Flair is the only device you’ll have to pay extra specifically to integrate with ST, by purchasing a license to use Yves’ code on his website. Not saying it isn’t worth it or anything, just FYI.

1 Like

Yes, I ask for a small contribution due to the amount of work & efforts to develop and test the whole ecosystem of DTHs and smartapps that enable targeted heating/cooling in your home.

The ecosystem I’ve developed includes the ecobee, Nest, sinope (zigbee) thermostats (I have created the DTHs which allow me to do some tight coupling with my ecosystem of smartapps for smarter integration), and the Flair devices. It can also support any other thermostat that follows the ST standard capabilities.

The development project started more than 3 years ago now and you can contribute to it for the equivalent of few cups of coffee to get the code at my store.

With my unique & comprehensive zoned heating/cooling solutions, you can do the following in order to maximize your comfort & energy savings:

• You can use all your ST connected sensors (temp/motion /contact) and assign them in a meaningful manner to your rooms, and then create the zones where you want to do targeted heating/cooling.

• In each room, you can also assign the room thermostats which control your window/split units or portable heaters/coolers or eTRVs (radiator valves) and any smart vents (if any) to physically isolate your targeted zones.

• You can then define your schedules based on your own zones and choose which rooms will be heated/cooled during the day (ex. at nights, only the upstairs bedrooms; in the afternoon, only the basement & ground floor)

• For the window/split units, portable heaters/coolers, and eTRVs, my zoned heating/cooling smartapps can also automatically turn them off or set them to eco mode when they are not part of the active zones in a given schedule.

• For the active zones, the smartapps are also able to automatically adjust the fan settings of your window/split units/portable heaters/coolers/eTRVs based on the temp differential inside your active zones…

• The smartapps can create some virtual Zone devices which you can use to easily adjust your temp delta vs. the main thermostat’s setpoints.

• Of course, the zoned heating/cooling smartapps support my Flair devices, but also the Remotec ZXT-120 IR controller…

• And many more features… Refer to the ST community wiki for more details:

For any ST connected thermostat (Nest/Honeywell/zwave/zigbee thermostats as a master):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

For the ecobee thermostats exclusively (which act as a master thermostat):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule

I have contributors in North America who use my smartapps with window/split units and also some in Europe who use the smartapps for their eTRVs…

Refer to this thread for testimonials:

P.S. To give you an idea, each smartapp has more than 5K lines of code, so you cannot reproduce this kind of logic in webcore for sure!

Regards.

I hope we can avoid getting too off-topic but with all due respect, you’re not asking for a contribution. You require payment for a service, and that’s a purchase. Clearly the service you provide is valuable and you are entitled to charge for your time and labor, so I am in no way suggesting that there is anything untoward about expecting/requiring payment.

In contrast, @ady624 accepts contributions for his work on WebCoRE, which also presumably takes a tremendous amount of time and effort. But payment isn’t a required condition of use in that case.

Neither model of software development is inherently better than the other.

I just believe that everyone deserves to be well informed about their options.

Thanks for your great efforts to make ST integrate more comprehensively with other home automation devices/services.

3 Likes