Will smarthings hub v2 continue to be supported? should I buy a used one?

newbie here. Is the v2 hub supported? is there any downside to purchasing a used one?

For now, but knowing SmartThings they’ll kill it whenever they feel like it.

i find the smarthings roadmap very confusing. it seems there is now a 3rd party company (name starts with an A?) who is manufacturing the hub for samsung? i guess it is still v3 Is there any clearly defined roadmap for the hub.

Im only asking because im just getting started with home automation and want to pick a hub that has a future

So the fact of the matter - you’ll NEVER get a straight answer to the question as asked.

Here’s some metrics to help you plan lifecycle.

The SmartThings v.1 (2015) hub was supported for ~5-6 years before they stopped providing new firmware. It was another year or so before they finally annouced it’s end. By the time the end was announced there was no way to push a final firmware to the device because the front endpoint the device ‘knows’ about changed - without it being ther to provide the new firmware, the device can’t load it…

What this means - you do not want to be running a device that cannot accept firmware updates (either not being made or the scenario above)

Now, the v.2 hub came out in (early?) 2018 - it’s reasonable to assume they would continue firmware updates for at least as long as they did for the v.1 - so 5 years. That puts the date sometime in 2023.

It’s not perfect, and a guess - but based on reasonable data. If you’re comfortable with rebuilding your local ST install sometime in or around 2023-2024 - then go for it.

For me, though - it’s a massive pain to rejoin hundreds of individual devices. Something I try not to do on a regular basis and the pain of doing that to hundreds of devices nauseates me. I would go for the newer hub and stretch that date. Get the Aeotec.

2 Likes

While I’m very not in any position to make any promises (this is my last week at ST). The OS images for the V2 and V3/Aeotec hubs are built from the same sources. I would imagine something drastic would have to happen for the V2 to get dropped unless it’s a long time in the future and the V3 is also getting dropped. Also the V1 was super different from all the other ST hubs, so that’s probably not a great benchmark.

4 Likes

thanks to both of you for that useful info. its a tough call since the Aeotec is quite a bit more expensive than buying a old V2 just to get one’s ‘feet wet’ in home auto.

one thing that those of us who are just getting started have no feel for… is how much a pain it is to re-provision all your devices when you change hubs. @nathancu do you really have hundred’s of devices? i imagine as a homeowner, i might have a few doors, cameras, windows, motion detectors…cant imagine it being more than 20 devices.

Yes, I did - when I left Smartthings (on my v.2 hub) I had 285 devices, 248 of which were hub connected Zwave or Zigbee. (Also not counting a myriad of virtual devices)

So, considering you cannot switch between hubs in ST without completely rejoining each device (doesn’t matter if you use the hub migration util if it even applies to your case - you STILL have to physically rejoin the devices to the new hub) the time spent doing that (and the fact that some of the devices are installed in the ceiling, or high on a wall) matters a lot to me. The last time I did it it took more than 3 weeks just to get all the devices.

1 Like

Corrections:
v1 was in the kickstarter in 2013 and shipped in early 2014.
v2 was announced in early 2015 and shipped by the end of the year. I bought my v2 in December 2015.
v3 came out in 2018 (17?).

1 Like

Ah thanks JLV - yeah so 7 years… not 5. (it did seem short)

SO add 2?

@psbarrett - I get where you’re coming from with that, but my experience dealing with multinational marketing departments - there will be a reason to ‘get rid of’ the v.2 at some point after it’s had a reasonable lifecycle. My money is on that thing never seeing it’s 10th birthday.

Two items to be aware of:

• the v2 hub requires a welcome code. Most likely you will need to contact support to get your hub registered.
  • there was a user a few weeks ago who posted that they received a used v2 hub with an extremely old firmware version that was not capable of being updated (rare occurrence)
3 Likes

Besides deprecation, other reasons to potentially not get a V2:

1. You don’t have a convenient ethernet port to plug it into where you want to place it
  2. IF (a big IF in my opinion) SmartThings decides to support Thread devices as part of its Matter plans, the V2 doesn’t have a Thread radio. V3/Aeotec do have a Thread radio. Hopefully we’ll know more October 26th at SDC for their plans on this.
4 Likes

IIRC, I think the v1 hub stopped getting new firmware in 2017 or 2018. By the time EOL was announced in 2020 (and then acted upon in 2021), it was running very old code.

1 Like

Other than the two items jkp mentions, not really.

1 Like

Tell us what you know about the SmartThings WiFi before you make your exit.

1 Like

Then don’t buy a V2.

Buy the latest Aeotec version of the V3. That is the one which is most likely to support Matter once it is introduced, and you will definitely want that for the future.

There are no guarantees with any smartthings device: their terms of use say that they can update at any time in a fashion which will obsolete older devices. But the current Aeotec version is the one most likely to continue to be supported. at least until the next model comes out. :wink:

Terms

Will SmartThings ever change the Services?
We’re always trying to improve the Services, so they may change over time. We may suspend or discontinue any part of the Services, or we may introduce new features or impose limits on certain features or restrict access to parts or all of the Services. In some cases, the changes we make to the Services may cause older hardware devices, third party services, software configurations or setups to no longer work with the Services, and you may be required to upgrade or change these devices, services, configurations or setups in order to continue using the Services. We’ll try to give you notice when we make a material change to the Services that would adversely affect you, but this isn’t always practical. Similarly, we reserve the right to remove any Content (including any SmartApps or device or external service connections provided by SmartThings or by third parties) from the Services at any time, for any reason (including, but not limited to, if someone alleges you contributed that Content in violation of these Terms), in our sole discretion, and without notice.

3 Likes

ahh. the Thread ‘standard’ by definition has its own radio? so that means that all existing devices out there today that use wifi , low energy bluetooth, zigwave :slight_smile: , etc will NOT be compatible with Thread? ie. you will need a hub/gateway for those existing devices?

No, there is another option, as Eve has done.

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Zigbee all operate in the same physical radio spectrum. So a radio which has been used for one can often be converted to one of the others. But it can’t do both at the same time, because it would miss some incoming messages.

Eve chose to convert many existing Bluetooth devices over to thread. This could be done with a firmware update. (A few could not be updated this week, and have to be replaced with new models.)

That’s fine for something like a motion sensor. But if you did it for a hub, you would lose zigbee In order to gain thread, and most systems don’t want to do that.

In the case of the V3 models, they were designed as “Thread capable“ and have a radio inside which can be used for thread while a different radio is still used for zigbee.

Homekit has already enabled Thread in the Mini HomePod hub, So they can already handle Thread devices.

Some Amazon echo devices will also be able to handle thread.

It seems likely that Aeotec will update the smartthings V3 hub for thread, but it has not yet been promised.

Wi-Fi devices will almost all continue to use Wi-Fi, not thread, because the two protocols really have different purposes. You can’t send audio or video over thread or zigbee or Z wave effectively: the message sizes are too small. And, of course, Wi-Fi can operate without a hub, which some people prefer. But thread and zigbee can handle more devices per network and are way more energy efficient, which allows for battery operated devices that don’t have to be recharged every few days. So both have a place.

The expectation for matter is that Wi-Fi and thread will be the most popular protocols to begin with, although zigbee may also be included.

1 Like

Very little. I hear it’s still being worked on, but the sandboxing of drivers has to be done differently than how we’re doing it on V2/V3, so it’s not as simple as change the version number and push it out, and it’s just not done yet.

2 Likes

Glad it’s not abandoned then