Wifi thermostat vs z-wave

A cool customer sent us in a ZigBee U-Snap module and it is a SEP device and wouldn’t work. The company that made them though was awesome and sent us a dev kit for playing around with.

Thank you all for the help with the Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007 thermostat. I had to return it back after we tested it at our daycare facility. The thermostat would go into a HOLD mode after a command was issued by the zwave. Had to walk up to the thermostat and undo that everytime, was no help. Lastly took the dive and installed the Nest, works pefectly fine, configured it to work with the Smarthings Hub and it works like a charm, used the Dianoga, its alive smartnest. I prefer the smarthings hub for the nest since all the other things are in one app.

So for me it’s between the Nest and the Honeywell z-wave thermostat. Unless there’s something better…For sure they both work perfectly with Smartthings?
Help choose guys, please

@alucard76 :

I actually don’t like the NEST. The Honeywell doesn’t seem bad. I went with Ecobee. It has been announced by Ecobee as (going to be) supporting Smartthings. Nest has a few critical bugs/“features” I absolutely do not like. I love my ecobee. I am looking to buy another once they provide me an ETA for smartthings integration.

Unless I’m missing something as it pertains to the Nest I’m not sure it is worth the cost. The whole premise behind Smart Things is that your end device is “stupid” and all the brain power is computed by the centralized hub, or cloud in this instance. By purchasing a Nest you are integrating a very intelligent device where it is not necessary. Plus the nest is based on algorithmic learning to determine your comfort levels and to turn off or down when you leave your house. I can’t see why I would pay a thermostat to learn these features if the Smart Things hub already knows for sure when I’m home or not based on proximity. With this I can create a concrete rule for when I’m home or not. We should not over complicate, in my opinion, the functionality of a thermostat. It can detect the temperature, turn on or off, and set a temperature level. I say leave those simple tasks to your Smart Things application.

As it pertains to the cost I bought a ZWAVE thermostat on Craigslist for $30. I’m pretty sure the Nest is significantly more expensive.

Sorry to necropost here, but I just got a Trane XL824 thermostat (part of their Nexia line, and one that doesn’t require a montly subscription to the Nexia service). It’s a long(ish) story, but suffice to say that my installer is a great guy and he really wanted me to try this thermostat so he gave it to me for half price and he was just so excited about it that I couldn’t say no.

It’s z-wave capable, but I can’t seem to get my SmartThings hub to recognize it. I haven’t done a lot of poking around the device itself to see if there’s some pairing function I need to do to get it to activate its z-wave interface, but has anyone had any experience with non-approved, non-vetted z-wave thermostats? It’s a nice enough unit, but the lack of integration is going to be a deal-breaker for me, since ST knows when I leave and the thermostat doesn’t. That alone is a problem…