Wifi thermostat vs z-wave

@chevyman142000 hit the configure tile, wait a few minutes and try it again.

What does the configure button do? No user feedback or interactions.

Twack

it sends a list of z-wave commands to the thermostat to tell it how to report. There was a bug a bit ago in those commands that has been remedied. Many times the issue with thermostats could be fixed by re-sending the configuration commands.

Whatever it does, it fixed the issue for me. Thank you, as always, Urman!

I am a newbie here and have smarthings hooked on to our daycare. Complete with smarttags and motion detections and auto switches. All works well. Adding a thermostat into the mix is a Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007. Looking at the solutions here for the C wire ( G—>C) and watching the video, is it mandatory to change the connections at the HVAC unit in the closet OR just the G—>C in the thermostat would work.

I believe that you need to change at both locations.

The G-wire is normally used to turn on the fan on the system to just circulate air in your building. This isn’t a feature that is used much, but most modern thermostats can do this. So, the G wire is connected at your HVAC unit to the “turn on just the fan” loop. At the thermostat it’s connected to the “turn on just the fan” lead.

What you are going to do is change that wire so it’s going to the “send power to the thermostat” lead at the thermostat. Now if you don’t change it at the HVAC unit that wire is still going to the “turn on just the fan” loop, which doesn’t send power to the thermostat. So you need to change it at the HVAC as well so it’s on the “send power to the thermostat” loop.

They sell (and with some tstats include) an adaptor that goest at the HVAC unit and picks up the C wire and somehow converts it if you only have 4 wires in the wall. I have one in a box somewhere so when I find it, I’ll post the model number. I also don’t have a c wire (although you can use a 48vac transformer and run the wires up through the wall to the tstat) so my local HVAC guy pointed me to this c wire missing adaptor thingy.

Thank you @chrisb and @solardave1. Will give it a shot and post back next week.

Found it. Honeywell THP9045A (5 wire in @ HVAC to 4 wires out to Tstat).

@chevyman142000 I have the same thermostat as you the Filtrete 3M-50. But mine only has the wifi module. I believe the Zigbee module is completely separate, correct? If I were to purchase that module would it work with Smartthings hub? Could I create rules like if away mode turn air to X degrees? Or what type of control is available at this point? Thanks in advance!

Yes, I ended up purchasing one of the z-wave usnap modules off of ebay. I currently have both modules installed and can control the thermostat through either one. I have not setup any smartapps for it yet, but I intend to once I move into the house I’m currently building. I know there are a few smartapps out there though, so what you are asking should definitely be possible.

@jeremywhittaker make sure you get a Z-Wave U-SNAP module. Right now the ZigBee ones are incompatible.

http://shop.radiothermostat.com/product.sc?productId=2

@solardave1 10 pieces? Does that mean they only sell in quantity? Those things are dirt cheap on Ebay ~$30

I’m out of town and vpn’ing back home periodically. No, I’m sure you can buy them in quan 1. I just thought $24/pc was a good deal if anyone needed volume.

Andrew - any way to use a ZigBee module. Spark finis running a special at the moment. I’m going the Honeywell with the c wire thingy adaptor route when I get home. The c100 isn’t working consistently.

They look ,Ike they’re $40 bucks quan/1 unless you find it on eBay but I only did a quick search.

Thanks for the tip @urman I almost bought the Zigbee!

Sorry, didn’t read the whole thread where the ZigBee question was answered.

Alright guys I got the Z-wave usnap module on Ebay for $30! Can’t wait to get this thing in place. It will be cool to tell my thermostat to turn off when we leave the house!