Who decides what we control in our homes?

There is a rumor that states that Amazon Echo will not have control over our smart locks due to fear of unauthorized person(s) gaining entry to our homes. Does anyone know if this rumor has any truth to it?

I can’t speak for everyone but I personally don’t keep my windows open with my Amazon Echo on the window sill :wink:. Not to mention this is a function that would be used only when the owner is home since that is where the Echo is located in the first place :blush: and if by some odd chance that there is a person yelling at the top of their lungs “Alexia unlock the front door!” …

…nuff said lol. :grin::grin::grin:

There’s nothing to stop you from doing it indirectly, via “Hello, Home” actions.

1 Like

Hi geko,

Yes I know that

Hi geko, my iPod is acting up. It posted before I was finished. I would like to have it working through the Amazon Echo. I have a few projects I’m working on time is limited. It’s already almost an hour past my bedtime lol. Thank you for your reply. Good night!

In my home, it is always the missus who decides! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not following your argument that "this is a function that would only be used when the owner is home "because the whole point is that if the owner has gone off to work, there’s nothing to stop a stranger from walking up to the door of the empty house and yelling “Alexa, open the door.” Unless you’re assuming the owner will turn it go off every time they leave the house. But I don’t think most people do that.

Beyond that, I can think of plenty of people who wouldn’t want a stranger to be able to unlock the door when the homeowner is home. Just depends on your neighborhood, and your personal situation.

Apple has said that Siri for homekit will not be able to unlock doors. I haven’t heard rumors one way or the other for echo.

Yeah I think a lot of people figure break-ins are bad, but they can quickly escalate into much worse when there are people home and it turns into a home invasion.

There’s a ton of liability behind what functionality you allow these things to have, and I think both Amazon and ST are positioning themselves as “miiddleware” and you are ultimately responsible for what you do with the capabilities.

I think it’s a terrible idea to have an internet-connected lock, but the benefits are clear. I think it’s an even worse idea to have an internet-connected, voice activated lock, but for some people the convenience outweigh the potential caveats.

Either way, we live in a very litigious world, and I’m sure both the Amazon and the ST folks think long and hard about advertising that capability, because people would love to set things up and sue when they get robbed, saying that they shouldn’t have been allowed to use that feature.

2 Likes