Where Are Other SmartThings UK Users Located?

Name: Mike
Devices: In the market…
Pros: coder
Cons: already spend all day coding

Hi
This seems the relevant place to do a first post, so apologies if it isn’t!
I am a prospective smartthings user. although I’m a capable cross platform software developer I am not ready to dedicate my life to setting up a smart home; I am looking for something fairly easy to set up that I can initially use as a starting point for a security system, one of the more important aspects to me is motion detection based video recording.
The Panasonic Smart Home system is tempting for this reason, although the amount of protocols smartthings supports is very attractive from a future-proofing perspective.

I have to say however that my initial enthusiasm for smartthings has dampened somewhat since reading this UK forum in particular. I’m keen to know if you ladies and gents would still recommend purchasing at the moment?
Sorry to repeat myself but my main interest is getting a video-based security system going and I’d be trying to use low-cost cameras with the generic video handler I’ve seen a few people talking about.

@mikehudson - I have yet to dig deep into the ST video capabilities, but in the past I have used ZoneMinder which is excellent and think some of the folks in the US have integrated that into ST. Take a look if you get chance, runs on all flavours of Linux (although does need a little grunt so a RPi1 is too weedy for it - suspect might work for 1 or 2 stream on RPi2) - very powerful motion detection, can create all manner of triggers and archives all the footage for review.

@Matt_Brain thanks Matt - I will definitely check that out. By the time I have that system running, IFTTT might be working!