What's the consensus on motion sensor brand?

I am actually very happy with the smartthings motion sensors. I have around 20 of them and since moving my zigbee bulbs away from directly connected to smartthings and onto the hue hub, I very rarely get any drop outs. I also have many fibaro motion sensors which I recommend as they are very reliable, but they are ever so slightly slower.

Exactly. I havenā€™t forced my zigbee mesh to reset in many, many months. Having several of those plugs and removing the Osram bulbs did the trick for me. I even have 12 GE bulbs working great.

The same for my zwave mesh. I can honestly say I canā€™t remember the last I ran a zwave repair. If anything ever acts up, itā€™s almost always a device misbehaving which is fixed via Replace or pulling the airgap switch.

Yeah those are good too, but I really didnā€™t like the coin battery and difficulties mounting in corners. I still have three, and they do work very well.

1 Like

So did you walk away entirely from the Monoprice sensors? If I recall correctly, I was using your device type to remove the extra tiles in the app on those ones.

I still use the monoprice motion sensors for outside use, like my back deck, under a deck, and under a couple eves.

1 Like

My point exactly why when I replaced my hub I retired the new ST sensors. And boy the new contact sensors went straight to the trash. My favorite are the older version of ST, followed by NYCE ceiling for Zigbee and Fibaro followed closely by Aeon multi the new version for zwave. I do have quite a few Ecolink tooā€¦ I havenā€™t had Zigbee dropped out cold in months but I do get a few stuck on regular basis. And that was the main reason I got rid of the coin batteries. Itā€™s much easier to pull a bigger battery out than fighting with a coin oneā€¦

2 Likes

Donā€™t they have the coin batteries? I remember looking at them when and didnā€™t like the batteries, so I went with NYCE. I like the Iris form small form, though.

Iris contact and motion gen2 are both CR2ā€™s.

1 Like

Iā€™ve lost track of this thread (bedtime for meā€¦). You mean the ST ones? If so, yes. Iā€™m afraid to touch them if anything goes on those because of the crappy battery compartment design. The Iris are CR2ā€™s.

1 Like

Battery type is one column I keep on my spreadsheet of devices/capabilities/location. Only have three types to stock so not too bad.

1 Like

Do the Iris motion sensors work better than the SmartThings sensors when it comes to false alarms due to dramatic light changes? I have all SmartThings sensors currently, but I have had to disable problematic rooms/zones from home monitoring due to false alarms.

Iā€™ve not had issues with either. They are pir, infrared, so light doesnā€™t affect then just any associated heat. If you have them in direct line of the sun, that can affect them as well.

Great sensors but have to agree the battery compartment is a disaster. Iā€™ve broken two over the last 10 months even though Iā€™ve followed correct process in removing and adding batteries. Whomever designed that part deserves an award for worst design of the year for that.

3 Likes