Whats the best outlet for ST?

I just biught a ihome smart outlet. It keeps foing offline, very clumsy to setup. So far very unreliable.
Which smart outlets does the community reccomend?

There’s no one best: different things work for different people. And, as I’ve said before, different budgets.

Most people will choose either a zigbee pocket socket or Z wave pocket socket, Depending on what kind of repeater they need in that particular location. Occasionally somebody will pick a Wi-Fi pocket socket either because they also want HomeKit compatibility or because they intentionally want to choose something they can turn on and off when smartthings is not working, such as if they need to reboot their hub. Wi-Fi is also better suited to real time energy monitoring.

But usually people will want to take advantage of the repeating capabilities For zwave or zigbee. :sunglasses:

Have you had a chance to read the networking basics FAQ yet? Start with post 11, then go up to the top of the thread and read the whole thread. That will give you a better idea of how you might want to lay out your network backbone.

Then check out the device class features FAQ, and it will give you an idea of what people look for for different use cases:

1 Like

I use the IKEA outlets… They are cheap and have a decent range, and have been very stable so far… I even use one outdoors for controlling my Christmas lights…

Do they read power?

Thanks great suggestion. I did not know IKEA made them.

Todd
650-346-6718

No they don’t have that feature… Only On/Off capability…
I use the built-in “Zigbee Switch” DH for them… :wink:

1 Like